Professional Web Applications Themes

D70 mirror sticks? - Photography

So I quite enjoy my D70 kit, naturally. Only glitch I've come across is the mirror randomly locking up. It's happened maybe... 5 frames out of 2000. Happily taking single frames... then it just sticks in place. Mirror is up, shutter is closed. Actually it was most frequent when it was new, and seems to have limbered up with use. Right in the manual it says how to reset or trigger shutter release when 'Err' shows in the LCD. It has the 1.01/1.02 firmware. Back in my university days we would see blank frames from stuck film shutters and the ...

  1. #1

    Default D70 mirror sticks?

    So I quite enjoy my D70 kit, naturally.

    Only glitch I've come across is the mirror randomly locking up.
    It's happened maybe... 5 frames out of 2000.

    Happily taking single frames... then it just sticks in place. Mirror is
    up, shutter is closed. Actually it was most frequent when it was new, and
    seems to have limbered up with use.

    Right in the manual it says how to reset or trigger shutter release when
    'Err' shows in the LCD. It has the 1.01/1.02 firmware. Back in my
    university days we would see blank frames from stuck film shutters and the
    prof would say "take it in, it doesn't fix itself."

    I don't feel it's a worrisome problem now that it survived my 9 days of
    scouting, but if it shouldn't happen at all then I will make sure my camera
    shop swaps it. So I ask kindly for the experience of those D70 owners in
    the group. Ever had it freeze up?

    Cheers,
    Newsie

    Newsie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: D70 mirror sticks?

    No freezup yet, but I haven't taken as many photos as you have. I would
    have it checked out. You gotta believe it will happen on that one in a
    million shot.

    "Newsie" <moc.sajeaveiswen> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Newsie <moc.sajeaveiswen> wrote:

    And I enjoy my non-kit D70 as well.

    Hmm ... I've not seen this yet, and I am now at 4290 frames. (I
    had to go to the DVD-ROM of last year's shots and add them to the
    current image number in the camera, as I reset the image number at the
    beginning of the year.)

    That does not sound right.

    Mine had that until recently, and it is now up to 1.01/1.03.

    I would tend to agree -- unless you can find some obvious and
    easily-correctable cause of the sticking by yourself. I don't think that
    it is the firmware

    Or at least fixes it. How long have you had it? That may
    determine the choice between swaps and fixes. (And if your shop is like
    mine, they are probably still selling them as fast as they can get them
    in, so they won't *have* as swap on hand.

    This one -- never (yet).

    Hmm ... what was the state of battery charge when this happened?
    It might be possible that it could hang with insufficient battery power.
    I keep two batteries, and swap in the second as soon as I see signs of
    discharge on the meter, or certainly if I am at the second point on the
    battery meter.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  4. #4

    On za, 12 mrt 2005 03:50:54 GMT, Newsie wrote in message

    I have taken 1400 shots with my D70, sometimes literally freezing
    outside and lots of snow, and have not had any glitch or error so far.

    --
    groeten, Remco

    homepage: http://rraap.demon.nl
    Mail : remco at isgitarist dot nl
    Remco Guest

  5. #5

    Nice to have quick answers! :-)

    com (DoN. Nichols) spake:

    The firmware updates as yet don't describe anything that even remotely
    applies to my use. But I haven't even installed the software yet, it's on
    my list at some point.

    This is about two weeks, and I e-mailed within the returns period so they
    know. I haven't used more parts than necessary to be on the safe side of
    exchanging. And yes they are just now managing to maintain stock. I was
    in a hurry so I got their demo model. :-)

    Only thing is I am using it solidly so I can't wait for repairs. But if I
    walk in with genuine concern I'm sure they can make it right. 8 years of
    patronage and all...

    Battery has been amazingly good, and if I blamed anything I thought it
    could be my CF card. Camera was set to lock shutter when the card was
    missing, so I *thought* that it might just be slow or faulty. But turning
    that setting off and using a faster pro card still had a freeze or two.

    All good advice, thanks!

    Newsie
    Newsie Guest

  6. #6

    "Newsie" <moc.sajeaveiswen> wrote in message

    rwesurfn Guest

  7. #7

    "Newsie" <moc.sajeaveiswen> wrote in message

    This is a known problem, but relatively rare. Mine has done it once. Nikon
    says if it happens more than a couple times, then send it in. It has a
    defective circuit board. Turnaround time is 2-4 weeks.

    Resetting the camera does not always clear the problem. Even doing a hard
    reset by pushing the button on the bottom may not work. The one time my
    camera did it, it stayed locked up for 14 hours, then suddenly it cleared
    itself and I have not had any trouble with it since. I will probably send it
    in anyway, since we are leaving the country for a couple years and I won't
    have an opportunity to get it serviced while we are gone.

    C Guest

  8. #8

    I am also a D70 owner and have had the dreaded "ERR" problem. It is well
    doented on the Web by other D70 users. No official acknowledgement from
    Nikon.

    Nikon will however repair the problem (no choice really but to send it back
    to the shop) and the camera will perform very well.

    Just as noted by CJ Campbell...

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    > This is a known problem, but relatively rare. Mine has done it once. Nikon
    > says if it happens more than a couple times, then send it in. It has a
    > defective circuit board. Turnaround time is 2-4 weeks.
    >
    > Resetting the camera does not always clear the problem. Even doing a hard
    > reset by pushing the button on the bottom may not work. The one time my
    > camera did it, it stayed locked up for 14 hours, then suddenly it cleared
    > itself and I have not had any trouble with it since. I will probably send
    > it
    > in anyway, since we are leaving the country for a couple years and I won't
    > have an opportunity to get it serviced while we are gone.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Fred Guest

  9. #9

    "Newsie" <moc.sajeaveiswen> wrote in message
    camera

    I have NOT experienced that...I've taken somewhere in the neighborhood of
    2000-2500 shots so far.

    George

    George Guest