Professional Web Applications Themes

D70 Silly Question - Photography

The D70 came with a "lens hood" that s on over the kit lens. When do I use this, on sunny days to reduce sun glare?...

  1. #1

    Default D70 Silly Question

    The D70 came with a "lens hood" that s on over the kit lens. When
    do I use this, on sunny days to reduce sun glare?
    Himm Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: D70 Silly Question

    I use lens hoods at all times. More for protection of the front lens element
    than to combat glare - although they do that well, too.

    Rob

    ----------------------------

    "Himm" wrote ...

    Basic Guest

  3. #3

    Add a UV filter for added protection and you can forget the lens cover.

    "Basic Wedge" <ca> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:14:14 -0500, Himm <com> wrote:

    Basically, yes.

    Another answer:

    Always, except when using the built-in flash.

    Advantages of lens hood:

    - Reduces glare from the sun or *any* light source.
    - Helps protect front element from scratches / fingerprints etc
    *without* adding another layer of murky glass to photograph through.

    Disadvantages of lens hood:

    - Slightly more complex operation to remove & fit lens cap.
    - Rotating filters such as polarizers can be a pain to access.
    - Can cast shadows of the flash when it's being used, in particular
    the built-in flash.

    The D70 kit lens hood (due to the wide-angle part of the zoom) isn't
    as substantial as many of the longer zooms have.

    One day we will have a self-retracting lens hoods that adjust in line
    with the zoom.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  5. #5

    Sheldon wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    I think Sheldon meant to say "lens hood" rather than lens cover.

    And I think he is mistaken. The hood is a useful adjunct in nearly every
    imaginable cirstance, except storing the lens in a custom-fit case.
    It might not fit with the hood on. Most I've seen will reverse on the
    same "threads" to make it easier.

    I am a recent convert to Avoid-the-potential-negative
    consequences-of-mounting-a-filter-unless-you-can't-avoid-it. I used to
    figure if by default Canon put such a substantial piece of glass in
    front of its 85-300 f 4.5 zoom, there must be something to the idea.
    Lens design seems to have changed, science marches on.

    I march on without my traditional/habitual UV filters (except on the
    70-300 IS; still a little scared...? I might even take the lens out of
    its case, one of these days...

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jeremy Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    "Frank ess" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]

    > I think Sheldon meant to say "lens hood" rather than lens cover.
    >
    > And I think he is mistaken. The hood is a useful adjunct in nearly every
    > imaginable cirstance, except storing the lens in a custom-fit case. It
    > might not fit with the hood on. Most I've seen will reverse on the same
    > "threads" to make it easier.
    >
    > I am a recent convert to Avoid-the-potential-negative
    > consequences-of-mounting-a-filter-unless-you-can't-avoid-it. I used to
    > figure if by default Canon put such a substantial piece of glass in front
    > of its 85-300 f 4.5 zoom, there must be something to the idea. Lens design
    > seems to have changed, science marches on.
    >
    > I march on without my traditional/habitual UV filters (except on the
    > 70-300 IS; still a little scared...? I might even take the lens out of its
    > case, one of these days...
    >

    > --
    > Frank ess
    >[/ref]
    I too, joined that club, when I saw the negative effects of a Hoya UV filter
    on images from my 20D...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    Owamanga <com> wrote:

    >Basically, yes.[/ref]

    [ ... ]

    -- can interfere with the autofocus-assist light (used in low light
    levels to speed autofocus) (at least with the HB-18 hood on the
    28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D lens which I use regularly). I did not buy
    the kit, as I already had this lens, which I liked, and I
    prefer the slightly longer focal length to the slightly wider
    end of the lens with the kit. Just as with prime lenses, my two
    favorites were 135mm and 50mm. But this varies with the kind of
    photos which you take.

    While the HB-18 is quite substantial -- and it bayonets on, so I
    can easily reverse it for more compact storage.

    That would be nice -- but yet another thing to break -- and I
    would expect this to be a rather fragile part of the lens.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  9. #9

    Owamanga wrote:

    > Basically, yes.
    >
    > Another answer:
    >
    > Always, except when using the built-in flash.
    >
    > Advantages of lens hood:
    >
    > - Reduces glare from the sun or *any* light source.
    > - Helps protect front element from scratches / fingerprints etc
    > *without* adding another layer of murky glass to photograph through.
    >
    > Disadvantages of lens hood:
    >
    > - Slightly more complex operation to remove & fit lens cap.
    > - Rotating filters such as polarizers can be a pain to access.
    > - Can cast shadows of the flash when it's being used, in particular
    > the built-in flash.
    >
    > The D70 kit lens hood (due to the wide-angle part of the zoom) isn't
    > as substantial as many of the longer zooms have.
    >
    > One day we will have a self-retracting lens hoods that adjust in line
    > with the zoom.
    >
    > --
    > Owamanga![/ref]
    Yes I used it with the built in flash, and i got shadowing.
    Himm Guest

  10. #10

    In article <net>, Himm <com>
    wrote:

    > Yes I used it with the built in flash, and i got shadowing.[/ref]

    I had the same experience (at wide angles). You get a crescent shaped
    shadow at the bottom center of the image.

    Merritt
    Merritt Guest

  11. #11

    "Frank ess" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]

    > I think Sheldon meant to say "lens hood" rather than lens cover.
    >
    > And I think he is mistaken. The hood is a useful adjunct in nearly every
    > imaginable cirstance, except storing the lens in a custom-fit case. It
    > might not fit with the hood on. Most I've seen will reverse on the same
    > "threads" to make it easier.[/ref]

    No, I meant lens cover. I've always used filters to protect my lenses (I
    realize this can cause vignetting in some instances) and if you can put a
    lens shade on top of the filter you have pretty good protection against
    impact from all angles. I even clean the lenses with my shirt, as I'm only
    cleaning the filter and not touching the lens. I've also replaced more than
    one broken filter or bent shade as it saved a lens.

    Sheldon Guest

  12. #12

    Sheldon wrote:

    >> I think Sheldon meant to say "lens hood" rather than lens cover.
    >>
    >> And I think he is mistaken. The hood is a useful adjunct in nearly
    >> every imaginable cirstance, except storing the lens in a
    >> custom-fit case. It might not fit with the hood on. Most I've seen
    >> will reverse on the same "threads" to make it easier.[/ref]
    >[/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]

    OK

    Frank Guest