Professional Web Applications Themes

D70 supports Write Acceleration (WA) on Compact Flash? - Photography

The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url] does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know how up to date it is. For some reason I have not been able to get to the Nikon USA [url]www.nikonusa.com[/url] website through my ISP for several days now. Some sort of DNS issue, so I can't check there....

  1. #1

    Default D70 supports Write Acceleration (WA) on Compact Flash?

    The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    how up to date it is.

    For some reason I have not been able to get to the
    Nikon USA [url]www.nikonusa.com[/url] website through my ISP
    for several days now. Some sort of DNS issue, so I can't
    check there.

    Randy Howard Guest

  2. #2

    Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
    > The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    > how up to date it is.
    Look at this page:

    [url]http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816[/url]

    Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
    last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
    are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
    a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
    all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
    am not usually a madman.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Nixon Guest

  3. #3

    In article <10si48gp6biu25fcorp.supernews.com>, [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email] says...
    > Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
    >
    > > The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    > > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    > > how up to date it is.
    >
    > Look at this page:
    >
    > [url]http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816[/url]
    Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
    the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.
    > Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
    > last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
    > are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
    > a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
    > all, and basically never notice it.
    That is also good news.

    Randy Howard Guest

  4. #4

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    > a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
    > all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
    > am not usually a madman.
    Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it". You
    might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp engine in
    a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  5. #5

    Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    > Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    >
    >> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
    >> all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
    >> am not usually a madman.
    >
    > Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it".
    > You might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp
    > engine in a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).
    Oh, certainly. If all else were equal, I'd be using one. But unfortunately,
    all else (namely, the price) is not equal. :)

    But, as someone who likes having a stupid-fast car, I know what you mean.
    When it comes time to pull out into fast-moving traffic, it really saves
    the day.

  6. #6

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:18:11 GMT, Randy Howard
    <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
    >In article <10si48gp6biu25fcorp.supernews.com>, [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email] says...
    >> Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> > The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    >> > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    >> > how up to date it is.
    >>
    >> Look at this page:
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816[/url]
    >
    >Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
    >the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.
    >
    >> Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
    >> last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
    >> are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
    >> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
    >> all, and basically never notice it.
    >
    >That is also good news.
    According to Nikon, the D70 doesn't support "Write Acceleration".

    It _will_ benefit from faster cards in general, but not specifically from
    WA technology.

    Source: Nikon European Support Centre:

    [url]http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1272[/url]

    Regards,
    Graham Holden Guest

  7. #7

    In article <b5hls0hnig0mgla2dhdug44uk5kjtfrkss4ax.com>, [email]lookbottom.of.post[/email]
    says...
    > According to Nikon, the D70 doesn't support "Write Acceleration".
    >
    > It _will_ benefit from faster cards in general, but not specifically from
    > WA technology.
    The other link that showed test results seemed to show some benefit, although
    perhaps not technically because of "WA" specifically. I'm not clear on exactly
    what "WA" does "under the covers", or how cameras must change their interface
    to take advantage of it.
    > [url]http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1272[/url]
    Interesting, thanks for the link.

    Randy Howard Guest

  8. #8

    "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c32c76be1698f4c989d4anews.verizon.net.. .

    > The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    > how up to date it is.
    Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
    Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
    flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
    Lexar garbage and get a real card.

    C J Campbell Guest

  9. #9

    "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that
    the
    > Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme
    compact
    > flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return
    that
    > Lexar garbage and get a real card.

    Have you got a link for CF comparisons with the D70?

    Seymore Guest

  10. #10

    In article <oq-dnfTvfrrD6lDcRVn-hAwavecable.com>,
    [email]christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com[/email] says...

    > "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1c32c76be1698f4c989d4anews.verizon.net.. .
    > >

    > > The Lexar website [url]http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html[/url]
    > > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
    > > how up to date it is.
    >
    > Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
    > Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
    > flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
    > Lexar garbage and get a real card.
    What a bunch of BS. This link comparing the various cards on the
    D70: [url]http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816[/url]

    Shows that the Sandisk cards are approximately 0.1 MB/s faster than
    the lexar w/512MB. With the 1GB cards, the Lexar is actually about
    the same amount faster than either the Extreme or Ultra II.

    With 2GB, the size I purchased, the difference between the Lexar
    and the Sandisk Extreme is 0.005 MB/s, with the Lexar about 0.021
    MB/s faster than the Ultra II.

    Seems pretty much identical from here, plus the Lexar has a lifetime
    replacement warranty.

    If you are going to lie, you should choose to do it about something
    without empirical evidence to contradict you.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    "For some reason most people seem to be born without the part

  11. #11

    In article <wrqdnQApqL04b1DcRVn-jAadelphia.com>, [email]g_seymoreREMOVEhotmail.com[/email]
    says...
    > "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that
    > the
    > > Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme
    > compact
    > > flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return
    > that
    > > Lexar garbage and get a real card.
    > >

    > Have you got a link for CF comparisons with the D70?
    I just posted one, and he made all the crap above up. It's just
    "my brand is better than yours" silliness.

    Randy Howard Guest

  12. #12

    "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c3a0b858eb16752989d70news.verizon.net.. .
    > In article <oq-dnfTvfrrD6lDcRVn-hAwavecable.com>,
    > [email]christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com[/email] says...
    >
    > If you are going to lie, you should choose to do it about something
    > without empirical evidence to contradict you.
    <sniff> I draw a fine distinction between lying and gross exaggeration.
    Please don't beat me any more. I can't handle it.

    C J Campbell Guest