Professional Web Applications Themes

D70 vs anything else - Photography

After watching this newsgroup for so long, I have decided to post my reasons for deciding a D70 was the best choice for me and I hope this helps those still on the cheaper dSLR fence. a) 1/500 true flash sync. I'm mainly a wedding photographer and use a flash on 90% of my images, indoors and outdoors. Handsdown, main reason. (If you don't understand this one, a point and shoot might be a better choice) b) Flash management. see above plus the built-in wireless. Can't say enough about how handy it is to pop off the sb800 and use ...

  1. #1

    Default D70 vs anything else

    After watching this newsgroup for so long, I have decided to post my
    reasons for deciding a D70 was the best choice for me and I hope this
    helps those still on the cheaper dSLR fence.

    a) 1/500 true flash sync. I'm mainly a wedding photographer and use a
    flash on 90% of my images, indoors and outdoors. Handsdown, main
    reason. (If you don't understand this one, a point and shoot might be a
    better choice)

    b) Flash management. see above plus the built-in wireless. Can't say
    enough about how handy it is to pop off the sb800 and use it wireless
    and still get great exposures, not to mention being able to use it to
    drive groups of sb600's.

    c) Good looking noise - I shoot concerts/plays telephoto in low light
    without flash and the noise actually looks better than film grain.

    I've logged almost 14,000 images with this D70 and really don't have
    anything to complain about or wish different. I've gotten all I wanted
    from it in quality of image, ease of use, speed and dependability not
    to mention the incredible battery life.

    Tony

    Swriter33 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: D70 vs anything else

    "Swriter33" <com> wrote in message

    Like you, I've noticed the noise created by the D70 is not a problem, and
    with a tweak here and there can be made to resemble film, or made to go away
    completely. Personally, I like the grain in film. Gives the "appearance"
    of being sharper to a novice.

    I do have some questions however. Have you changed any of the settings or
    imported any custom curves into your camera. Do you mostly shoot RAW or
    JPG? I've been playing with curves and settings as I don't want to spend
    all my time in Photoshop.

    Thanks.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Clyde Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Sheldon - Yes, I have tweaked the camera settings. Warmed up the white
    balance overall and learned to never set White Bal to Auto. I have my
    ISO set to auto and the min shutter speed to 1/60. I shoot mostly in
    Program mode unless using A or S to suit the lighting or lens. I'm not
    sure I have even tried the Auto mode. Also have not gotten around to
    playing with importing curves. I have found the batch processing in
    Nikon Capture Editor works fine. I have some custom settings I run on
    the entire shoot if I want a Fuji or a Kodak film look. I had been
    frustrated trying to adjust the camera settings to get that film look,
    went to a Nikon Digital seminar and the factory rep showed me the
    Capture software and what it can do. Problem solved. (It has to do
    with film sensitivity being a curve vs digital sensors being almost
    linear or something like that) I'm hoping my next DSLR camera has a
    film type menu selection so I can just have it shoot the look I want.

    Raw vs JPG? I compared raw to the large jpg's and couldn't see a
    difference at the pixel level so to save time and make sure I can open
    my files in 10 years, I only work in jpg. (make sure you get your
    color balance close to perfect tho)

    Tony

    Swriter33 Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Alan Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Swriter33 wrote:

    I found it was too easy to forget to check WB for each shot (so many
    things to remember).

    I prefer not upping the ISO unless I can tell I need it. I shoot in
    Aperture Priority mostly & just keep an eye on the speed; that's the one
    thing I always remember to check. Not saying your way is wrong with any
    of this, just sharing my experience.

    Can you give a brief clue how to do that? I couldn't figure out batching.

    Here's a rather extreme example of the difference between RAW & jpeg:
    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/raw-vs-jpg&PG=1&PIC=3>
    Frankly I think the jpeg looks more natural but it does lose a bit of
    sharpness & considerable color range detail. I was suprised RAW has more
    noise.
    paul Guest

  8. #8

    David J Taylor wrote:

    Some of my favourite color photography (not by me, alas) is very grainy,
    contrasty and warm toned. High speed films, carefully controlled lighting,
    Softars and a beatiful, scantilly clothed beauty go a long way...

    I haven't seen enough deliberately noisy digital images to see if that same
    character comes out. In PS there is (of course) a 'grain' filter to grain up a
    shot to get that effect. I haven't used it, but I assume some increased
    contrast and/or color sat in the image + blur + grain would render that effect.
    It's probably harder to do (well) than it sounds.

    In short, when a color image is intended to have that grainy look, it has to be
    significant enough to be part of the character of the image; If it is
    underdone, then it looks like missed shot. B&W seems (to me) to allow a greater
    range of tack-sharp to artsy-grainy... (MO).

    Cheers,
    Alan.
    Alan Guest

  9. Moderated Post