Professional Web Applications Themes

Damn Cube! - Macromedia Freehand

So freehand has developed an aversion to cubes. I was making them using the "Deconstruction FreeHand grapics: Part 1" tutorial method, which no longer seems to work. No matter *what* I do, I end up dragging the line in the cube (bending it) as opposed to moving both of the corners of the side. It's driving me rather crazy. Anyone? -Ryan...

  1. #1

    Default Damn Cube!

    So freehand has developed an aversion to cubes. I was making them using the
    "Deconstruction FreeHand grapics: Part 1" tutorial method, which no longer
    seems to work. No matter *what* I do, I end up dragging the line in the cube
    (bending it) as opposed to moving both of the corners of the side. It's driving
    me rather crazy. Anyone?

    -Ryan

    rlragona Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Damn Cube!

    Please provide a link to the tutorial so we know what you're being
    instructed to do.

    It's likely that you're asked to shift-click on two points and then drag. If
    you option-click (Mac) on a path segment it will subselect the path segment.
    If you then option-drag, the path segment will bend.

    Judy Arndt

    rlragona wrote:
    > So freehand has developed an aversion to cubes. I was making them using the
    > "Deconstruction FreeHand grapics: Part 1" tutorial method, which no longer
    > seems to work. No matter *what* I do, I end up dragging the line in the cube
    > (bending it) as opposed to moving both of the corners of the side. It's
    > driving me rather crazy. Anyone?
    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Seems like a lot of extra steps there. Why not just extrude a square and
    rotate it?

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:44:24 +0000 (UTC), Tom G. <tomhatxor.cc> wrote:

    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/basics/deconstructing_fh_[/url]
    > 1/deconstructing_fh_105.html
    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    I was thinking the same! :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Bill wrote:
    > Seems like a lot of extra steps there. Why not just extrude a square and
    > rotate it?
    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    This may not be MM's intent, but I still teach people how to make an old
    fashioned drop shadow in Photoshop even though you can do it faster and
    with more flexibility with the layer effect. It's fine to use the
    shortcuts once you know the "by hand" way. Skills man skills. :)

    Rich

    Bill wrote:
    > Seems like a lot of extra steps there. Why not just extrude a square and
    > rotate it?

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  6. #6

    Do you still teach people how to cut rubylith masks with an exacto knife? ;)

    Tim Hines
    remove x to e-mail

    Rich Hudgins wrote:
    > This may not be MM's intent, but I still teach people how to make an old
    > fashioned drop shadow in Photoshop even though you can do it faster and
    > with more flexibility with the layer effect. It's fine to use the
    > shortcuts once you know the "by hand" way. Skills man skills. :)
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Seems like a lot of extra steps there. Why not just extrude a square
    >> and rotate it?

    Tim Hines Guest

  7. #7

    I don't teach them how, but I do explain it when talking about Masking
    in Photoshop! :)

    Rich

    Tim Hines wrote:
    > Do you still teach people how to cut rubylith masks with an exacto
    > knife? ;)
    >
    > Tim Hines
    > remove x to e-mail
    >
    > Rich Hudgins wrote:
    >
    >> This may not be MM's intent, but I still teach people how to make an
    >> old fashioned drop shadow in Photoshop even though you can do it
    >> faster and with more flexibility with the layer effect. It's fine to
    >> use the shortcuts once you know the "by hand" way. Skills man
    >> skills. :)
    >>
    >> Rich
    >>
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems like a lot of extra steps there. Why not just extrude a square
    >>> and rotate it?

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  8. #8

    The instructions in step 4 are wrong, and as a consequence, Ryan is
    struggling with the differences between selection behaviors of the Pointer
    and Subselect tools.

    Assume you have gotten as far as step two. You have the three rectangles,
    they are ungrouped (so they are normal paths), and they are skewed.

    Now you want to accompllish what is shown in step 4. But if you follow the
    instructions and shift-select the two uppermost points using the Subselect
    tool, and then try to drag them *still using the Subselect tool* (this is
    the key), no matter where you then clickdrag, you will bend a segment, not
    move the points. So instead of doing that, for instruction sake, do this:

    1) With the Pointer (the black filled one), just click one time anywhere on
    the top rectangle.

    2) Press Alt (this TEMPORARILY invokes the Directselect tool) and click once
    in the middle of the upper segment of the top rectangle, (This selects both
    endpoints and the segment).

    3) Release the Alt key (restoring the Pointer). ClickDrag the MIDDLE of the
    selected segment. The whole segment and its endpoints will move, not bend.

    This demonstrates that it is now possible in FH to "select segments" similar
    to the way you can in Adobe Illustrator. In other words, it allows you to
    pretend that a segment is an entity which exits independent of its
    endpoints--which of course is bogus, but this is a concession to AI norms
    (or, in my opinion, abnorms).

    Now let's accomplish what is shown in step 5 of the poorly written tutorial.
    This will be very similar to the above, but with a couple of subtle
    differences thrown in for instruction's sake:

    1) Just as above, you have the normal black filled Pointer selected. Do not
    click directly on the rightmost segment of the right rectangle. Instead,
    ClickDrag a selection marquee around the entire segment. This selects the
    two endpoints. However, although what you see on the screen looks identical
    to what you see after my Step 2 above, in this case the SEGMENT is not
    "directselected". So if you now were to ClickDrag the middle of the segment,
    you would end up normal-selecting the whole path and the whole thing would
    move. Instead...

    2) ClickDrag directly on the uppermost selected point. Drag it to the rear
    corner of the "cube" and it will snap. This demonstrates that if you move
    the segment by ClickDragging one of its already-selected points with the
    normal Pointer, you can take advantage of snap-to-points. But if you try
    that on a corner point with the DirectSelect tool, you will pull out
    handles.

    It has always been my contention that the addition of the adobe-esque
    Directselect Tool was a mistake. It unnecessarily complicates the interface.
    It creates confusion (clearly evidenced by the error in Macromedia's own
    tutorial). And it results in ambiguities in the on-screen display. (I have
    repeatedly complained to Adobe that if they are going to insist that a
    segment can be somehow selected indpendently of its associated points, then
    the interface should have a means by which to SHOW that a segment is
    selected. Now Macromedia has the same problem.)

    JET

    By the way, Rich: For what it's worth, I VERY MUCH applaud your insistence
    on showing your students how to do such constuctions "by hand", rather than
    resorting to things like the often cheezy Extrude Tool. Lest anyone take the
    jabs too seriously, those who have poked fun are overlooking (ignoring) at
    least three very important points:

    1) Artwork drawn deliberately, path-by-path, fill-by-fill, is almost always
    cleaner and tidier than resorting to "instant effect" features. (Judy and
    Tim, of course, know this).

    2) If you do as they suggest and 1) draw a square, then 2) ClickDrag it with
    the Extrude Tool, you will immediately see one of the Extrude Tool's most
    basic shortcomings: It is not 3D at all. It's merely a 2D oblique
    perspective (often called 1-point perspective). Note that the "face" of the
    "extruded" cube is STILL A SQUARE. It is not skewed or rotated no matter how
    far you drag the vanishing point. Obviously, if you can see any of the sides
    of such a cube, then the face is going to be skewed and/or scaled.

    Our detracting chums have at least carefully cut themselves some wiggle room
    by saying "Why not just extrude a square AND ROTATE it?" (emphasis mine).
    You see, if after initially extruding a square, you then double-click it to
    put it in Rotate mode, and then perform any rotation on it , the cube will
    cease to be an oblique drawing and the front face will then gain a
    perspective distortion. This certainly gives you a more convincing
    perspective. However, now double-click it again so you can drag its
    vanishing point her away. Then DoubleClick it again to put it back in
    Rotate mode and rotate it such that you are looking straight-on at its face
    again. Try to ever-again get the straight-on view of the supposedly square
    face to look like a square. You go ahead. I'll go for coffee.

    3) And saving the most basic and obvious for last: The Extrude tool is
    INCAPABLE of what is demonstrated in the tutorial, which is parallel
    perspective. In other words, you're not going to do axonometric drawing with
    FH's Extrude tool.

    At the risk of being accused of FH bashing (Which I'm not--FH's Extrude is
    not useless; just different. And in my opinion rather weird and awkward);
    I'll point out that AI's 3D Effect suffers from none of the above
    limitations.

    Oh, and Tim...my Exacto skills continue to prove quite profitable,
    thankyouverymuch. ;-)

    JET

    James E. Talmage Guest

  9. #9

    I once cut masks for a 28 page catalog. Days and days of nothing but
    amber film. It probably wasn't that many days, but dreams took on a ruby
    tint. ;)

    Of course, that was in the last century! You still doin' this today???!

    James E. Talmage wrote:

    > Oh, and Tim...my Exacto skills continue to prove quite profitable,
    > thankyouverymuch. ;-)
    >
    > JET

    Tim Hines Guest

  10. #10

    Hmmm....

    Unless I'm mistaken, your dreams should take on a BLUE tint after days and
    days of looking at amberlith. ;-)

    JET

    James E. Talmage Guest