    Removed by Administrator
    Boyd Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: Darl McBride's BIG plan...

    FyRE wrote:

    Once one's sussed everything and asked oneself "why?" and gawped at
    McBride's temerity (read up on SCO's ridiculous website and license
    conditions, seen what happened to Dupaco in Holland, asked oneself what
    the Linux kernel people will say and do, etc.), one will have come to
    the Slashdot conclusion long ago. The subject isn't worth discussing any
    longer.

    What I've found such a pity, is that so many talented people have
    already been been and still will be left floundering. In the not too
    distant future, Microsoft's OS and application divisions will find
    itself in the same position - read "FLOSS", the writing's already on the
    wall - and I wonder what will happen then. Gates and Balmer have already
    made their respective piles.

    --Tonni

    --
    Tony Earnshaw

    Millom kaksar eg litet kann trivast, millom jamningar helst er eg nøgd

    http://www.billy.demon.nl
    Mail: demon.nl

    Tony Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

    > Once one's sussed everything and asked oneself "why?" and gawped at
    > McBride's temerity (read up on SCO's ridiculous website and license
    > conditions, seen what happened to Dupaco in Holland, asked oneself what
    > the Linux kernel people will say and do, etc.), one will have come to
    > the Slashdot conclusion long ago. The subject isn't worth discussing any
    > longer.[/ref]

    What's more, SGI has now published an ysis of SysV code vs. Linux.
    Conclusion: there are only insignificant snippets that are probably there
    legally, but in any case not enough to sustain a copyright violation case.

    http://oss.sgi.com/letter_100103.txt

    It's interesting to see SGI publishing this: they have full access to the
    SysV code and are hence well placed to do such an ysis.

    The question is: what's going to be left of SCO after RedHat has finished
    with them? Will there be anything left to defend against IBM's
    counterclaims?

    So, those of you who read this newsgroup and support installations of
    SCO's software: what are you advising your customers? Are you telling them
    about the risk that they may be using an OS that is not supported in the
    near future?

    Joe Guest

  5. #5

    A more close to home point , what happens if a client sues a reseller
    claiming we knew SCO as a company is in trouble.
    and continued to assure them that all was well. OpenServer and UnixWare
    are tough sells now to existing clients , new
    ones are out of the question. There is almost no upside to selling SCO
    now.

    Rob

    rob Guest

  6. #6

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0310011445170.6442-100000c941211-a>,
    Joe Dunning <joedunning*NOSPAM*com> wrote:

    >> Once one's sussed everything and asked oneself "why?" and gawped at
    >> McBride's temerity (read up on SCO's ridiculous website and license
    >> conditions, seen what happened to Dupaco in Holland, asked oneself what
    >> the Linux kernel people will say and do, etc.), one will have come to
    >> the Slashdot conclusion long ago. The subject isn't worth discussing any
    >> longer.[/ref]
    >
    >What's more, SGI has now published an ysis of SysV code vs. Linux.
    >Conclusion: there are only insignificant snippets that are probably there
    >legally, but in any case not enough to sustain a copyright violation case.
    >
    >http://oss.sgi.com/letter_100103.txt[/ref]

    And today SCO announced they are terminating SGI's license - and
    SGI says they have a permanent license.

    This is getting out of hand.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    "Bill Vermillion" <com> wrote in message news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    any

    > >What's more, SGI has now published an ysis of SysV code vs. Linux.
    > >Conclusion: there are only insignificant snippets that are probably there
    > >legally, but in any case not enough to sustain a copyright violation[/ref][/ref]
    case.

    > And today SCO announced they are terminating SGI's license - and
    > SGI says they have a permanent license.
    >
    > This is getting out of hand.[/ref]

    I am wondering if we, as certified resellers, have any possible
    legal recourse to what Dale is doing?

    We sell multiple OS's and computer hardware like many others, but
    I was wondering if resellers who make there ENTIRE living with
    SCO products has the ability to sue. I figure in this day and age,
    a lawyer would try to create a class action lawsuite against SCO
    on behalf of the resellers.

    For all I know someone may have already contacted a lawyer,
    started a petition or something to make SCO somehow partially
    responsible for a SCO resellers demise.

    moncho

    moncho Guest

  8. #8

    On Sat, Oct 04, 2003, moncho wrote:

    I -- I wouldn't stoop that low.

    In the U.S. today, anybody can sue for anything without regard for common
    sense, reason, etc. -- all they need is the money to pay the land sharks.
    SCO is hardly a candidate for a big legal jackpot, and probably won't be
    around long enough to pay off in any case. I find it hard to imagine any
    reseller dumb enough to be totally dependant on sales of SCO products
    having the money to interest a lawyer in bringing suit against SCO when
    there's little or no chance of winning anything significant.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave.''
    Ayn Rand
    Bill Guest