Professional Web Applications Themes

data entry form for many-to-many - Microsoft Access

I think this is more of a forms question than design question, so bear with me . . . . I am designing a database primarily needed to manage our relationships with community members. Since many contacts relate to us in more than one capacity things can get complicated. I have a many-to-many relationship between a "Contacts" table (PK=contact ID) and a table of contact types (PK=contacttypeID). They are joined by a "relationships" table with two fields (PK=contact ID + contacttypeID). The problem is: how do I set up a primary data entry form with a subform that allows me ...

  1. #1

    Default data entry form for many-to-many

    I think this is more of a forms question than design
    question, so bear with me . . . .

    I am designing a database primarily needed to manage our
    relationships with community members. Since many contacts
    relate to us in more than one capacity things can get
    complicated.

    I have a many-to-many relationship between a "Contacts"
    table (PK=contact ID) and a table of contact types
    (PK=contacttypeID). They are joined by a "relationships"
    table with two fields (PK=contact ID + contacttypeID).

    The problem is: how do I set up a primary data entry
    form with a subform that allows me to mark multiple
    contact types?

    I cannot set it up properly to let me input new records
    and select the various contact types for each.

    Does this sound familiar? Please help.
    andy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: data entry form for many-to-many

    Hi Andy,

    If your main form is Contacts then you just need a subform for Relationships
    with ContactId as the LinkMasterFields and LinkChildFields set to the
    ContactId field. Typically this type of subform would be a form in
    Continuous view.

    You could get a bit fancier and use a pair of MultiSelect Listboxes - for an
    example of this you can download my SelectRecords sample on
    [url]http://www.daiglenet.com/MSAccess.htm[/url]. It's just another way to deal with
    data items that have a Many to Many type relationship.

    --
    Sandra Daigle
    [Microsoft Access MVP]

    andy wrote:
    > I think this is more of a forms question than design
    > question, so bear with me . . . .
    >
    > I am designing a database primarily needed to manage our
    > relationships with community members. Since many contacts
    > relate to us in more than one capacity things can get
    > complicated.
    >
    > I have a many-to-many relationship between a "Contacts"
    > table (PK=contact ID) and a table of contact types
    > (PK=contacttypeID). They are joined by a "relationships"
    > table with two fields (PK=contact ID + contacttypeID).
    >
    > The problem is: how do I set up a primary data entry
    > form with a subform that allows me to mark multiple
    > contact types?
    >
    > I cannot set it up properly to let me input new records
    > and select the various contact types for each.
    >
    > Does this sound familiar? Please help.
    Sandra Daigle Guest

  3. #3

    hi,
    You can take advantage of many-to-many relationships in your Access databases, using a form to join many to many fields, so thanks if you are up for checking it out.
    Last edited by Ravish; September 1st at 11:06 AM. Reason: removed spam links
    Sep 2010
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts