Professional Web Applications Themes

Data Junction? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Anybody ever use Data Junction or other third party tools for moving data between different database formats? My reason for asking is that in the next 12 months we are presumably integrating our application into an corporate scale enterprise version. Our current customers tend to be less than 20 clients. The corporate version is supposed to consolidate data from many remote offices into a centralized system, which may be a third party, high end accounting package with at least at this point, an unknown backend. I will have the pleasure of developing the initial proposal for this. I need to ...

  1. #1

    Default Data Junction?

    Anybody ever use Data Junction or other third party tools for moving data
    between different database formats? My reason for asking is that in the next
    12 months we are presumably integrating our application into an corporate
    scale enterprise version. Our current customers tend to be less than 20
    clients. The corporate version is supposed to consolidate data from many
    remote offices into a centralized system, which may be a third party, high
    end accounting package with at least at this point, an unknown backend. I
    will have the pleasure of developing the initial proposal for this. I need
    to look at third party tools, DTS, tion, etc.

    Can anybody suggest good references beyond BOL for DTS and tion?

    If anyone reading this has followed my postings here on consolidating our
    event logs from our customers, I am frankly scared sh*tless. If the
    cleanliness of the event logs is any indication of the rest of our database
    health, it's going to be an "interesting" excercise. A big issue is that it
    looks like a non-trivial portion of the data pushed up to the corporate
    level will be modified, and some of those modifications will need to be
    propagated back down to the remote sites.

    The really frightening part is that the whole IT piece has to be in place
    (and working!) by sometime next year because the customer's business plan
    includes going public at a time already loosely determined by the financiers
    using assumptions that include the information systems.

    Thanks.

    Bob Castleman
    SuccessWare Software

    Bob Castleman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Data Junction?

    DTS is not a 3rd party tool.

    Good resources for DTS?

    [url]www.SQLDTS.com[/url]
    [url]www.SQLDEV.net[/url]

    --

    Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
    MCSE,MCDBA

    "Bob Castleman" <nomailhere> wrote in message
    > Anybody ever use Data Junction or other third party tools for moving data
    > between different database formats? My reason for asking is that in the
    next
    > 12 months we are presumably integrating our application into an corporate
    > scale enterprise version. Our current customers tend to be less than 20
    > clients. The corporate version is supposed to consolidate data from many
    > remote offices into a centralized system, which may be a third party, high
    > end accounting package with at least at this point, an unknown backend. I
    > will have the pleasure of developing the initial proposal for this. I need
    > to look at third party tools, DTS, tion, etc.
    >
    > Can anybody suggest good references beyond BOL for DTS and tion?
    >
    > If anyone reading this has followed my postings here on consolidating our
    > event logs from our customers, I am frankly scared sh*tless. If the
    > cleanliness of the event logs is any indication of the rest of our
    database
    > health, it's going to be an "interesting" excercise. A big issue is that
    it
    > looks like a non-trivial portion of the data pushed up to the corporate
    > level will be modified, and some of those modifications will need to be
    > propagated back down to the remote sites.
    >
    > The really frightening part is that the whole IT piece has to be in place
    > (and working!) by sometime next year because the customer's business plan
    > includes going public at a time already loosely determined by the
    financiers
    > using assumptions that include the information systems.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bob Castleman
    > SuccessWare Software

    Allan Mitchell Guest

  3. #3

    I have used data junction for data conversion for accesss
    to sql, fox pro. I think is a very power tool but if you
    never used before take your time and work with it.

    Jaime E. Maccou Guest