Professional Web Applications Themes

Database corrupt, can we use the transaction log? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

We discovered yesterday database corruption and with help from my previous posting we checked the database. A few tables do have problems and some other errors are reported. I created a backup of the database and restored it to a different database to test repair and a few hundred records are lost from the tables, a second checkdb didn't report any problem. We do not know how long this corruption is in the database, we will restore a 7 days old backup (oldest in the roulation of tapes) and check if there are errors in that database. The database has ...

  1. #1

    Default Database corrupt, can we use the transaction log?

    We discovered yesterday database corruption and with help from my previous
    posting we checked the database.

    A few tables do have problems and some other errors are reported. I created
    a backup of the database and restored it to a different database to test
    repair and a few hundred records are lost from the tables, a second checkdb
    didn't report any problem.

    We do not know how long this corruption is in the database, we will restore
    a 7 days old backup (oldest in the roulation of tapes) and check if there
    are errors in that database.

    The database has full recovery model for the transaction log, but I'm not
    expierenced with restoring logs and using logs. Assuming that the 7 days old
    backup has no errors, is there some way to rebuild the database from that
    point with the log?

    Or can we use the log to rebuild the (not repaired) database anyway?

    Or is the log useless on a corrupted database?

    TIA,

    Rene

    Rene Guest

  2. #2

    If you have a non-corrupted full backup, and all your t-log backups are
    non-corrupted, and you've solved the reason you were getting corruption in
    the first place, you should be able to go from an arbitrary full backup, and
    then roll forward all the subsequent (subsequent to the good full backup)
    log backups to get back to a relatively recent point in time.

    "Rene" <renebaXXlXXvert.demon.nl> wrote in message
    > We discovered yesterday database corruption and with help from my previous
    > posting we checked the database.
    >
    > A few tables do have problems and some other errors are reported. I
    created
    > a backup of the database and restored it to a different database to test
    > repair and a few hundred records are lost from the tables, a second
    checkdb
    > didn't report any problem.
    >
    > We do not know how long this corruption is in the database, we will
    restore
    > a 7 days old backup (oldest in the roulation of tapes) and check if there
    > are errors in that database.
    >
    > The database has full recovery model for the transaction log, but I'm not
    > expierenced with restoring logs and using logs. Assuming that the 7 days
    old
    > backup has no errors, is there some way to rebuild the database from that
    > point with the log?
    >
    > Or can we use the log to rebuild the (not repaired) database anyway?
    >
    > Or is the log useless on a corrupted database?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Rene

    Guest

  3. #3

    In this unpleasant situation you may try sql repair. It can solve out troubles with sql files up to 16TB. The utility doesn't modify source data during recovering. It starts under low system requirements.
    Last edited by zlatan24; September 10th at 10:14 AM.
    zlatan24 is offline Junior Member
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5

  4. #4

    You can't recover database with log file only. If you have maintained full database backup then restore from it. No updated database backup, you may try Stellar SQL database repair program. It supports recovery of SQL server 2012, R2, 2008, 2005 & 2000.
    jpstellar@gmail.com Guest

  5. #5

    Kernel for SQL Recovery tool is capable to repair Server SQL database accurately in less time. It recovers MDF files that are corrupted or damaged due to virus attacks, system shut down errors or due to network problems. The tool succeeds in recovering entire MDF file data, including procedures, indexes, private keys, public keys, predefined default values etc. New database is created automatically that contains entire recovered items.
    NehwalSaina is offline Junior Member
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1