Professional Web Applications Themes

database driven publishing examples - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I'm looking for case studies on database driven publishing solutions. I know there are some available on Adobe's site, and I've downloaded those, I'm just hoping for more. specifically, I'm interested in flexible (read: design intensive) workflows, not catalogs that are just totally gridded price lists. in the environment I'm dealing with nearly every product description ends up in its own frame and gets moved around quite a bit throughout the process. obviously, a straightforward XML import is probably not going to work, so I need to find something with more complex capabilities. for example, I heard that the LL ...

  1. #1

    Default database driven publishing examples

    I'm looking for case studies on database driven publishing solutions. I know there are some available on Adobe's site, and I've downloaded those, I'm just hoping for more.

    specifically, I'm interested in flexible (read: design intensive) workflows, not catalogs that are just totally gridded price lists. in the environment I'm dealing with nearly every product description ends up in its own frame and gets moved around quite a bit throughout the process. obviously, a straightforward XML import is probably not going to work, so I need to find something with more complex capabilities. for example, I heard that the LL Bean catalog is developed using a good amount of automation -- I'd love to read more about that process.

    thanks for any leads you can provide!
    plain*clothes Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: database driven publishing examples

    Dear Plain

    I work for Coe Truman Technologies in Chicago. I am their Director of Product Management. We have a current offering that can do most of what you are looking for. We are also working on a new print product that will be compatible with InDesign CS2 and CS3 that will fit the workflow you described very well. In fact, your case is a perfect match for the workflow model we used to design the product.

    Unfortunately, I can't post any detail here, but feel free to contact me at com

    Thanks

    Bob
    Bob_Stucky@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The products EasyCatalog from 65bit (http://www.65bit.com) and
    SmartCatalog from Woodwing (http://www.woodwing.com/) are examples of
    what you may need - I'm not affiliated to one of these companies. We
    checked both here, both have a relative same fine feature set, in the
    end I decided for EasyCatalog after checking both out (there are
    time-limited trial versions available) because I loved their handling
    and user interface more (well, this was just a subjective decision,
    everyone has to try it for themselves).
    Now we use EasyCatalog for a bunch of catalogs, one of it a catalog with
    comic mechandising articles where you really can't use a tabellaric
    layout. Basically you prepare library objects with placeholders for
    pictures and texts (pointing to columns in your datasource, be it CSV
    file, XML file or ODBC database connection), then select the article in
    your data panel, and drag the library object out to the doent, filled
    with the data of the specified article. Of course there are methods to
    do this automatically based on coordinates in the datasource or by
    ruling lines.
    Maybe you should just try out both applications, then you know that you
    don't buy the wrong tool.

    Jens
    Jens Guest

  4. #4

    this isn't quite what I had in mind, but thanks for the leads guys. I am somewhat familiar with the extensions available, though not nearly enough. once I can get our source info in some semblance of order, I will be doing a lot of trials.

    just to clarify, what I'm primarily after at this point is case studies on the implementation process and use of such extensions or scripts. I have to make a case to the executives who would be approving what will be a very expensive endeavor for us. of course, you and I know that any well-executed automation system will be worth every penny. but, I need to put it into terms our execs will understand, which means case studies around here.

    thanks again for getting this thread started on what is sure to be a quiet week. and, Bob, we'll be in touch shortly!
    plain*clothes Guest

  5. #5

    though I'd like to keep the discussion in one place, there have been a couple of comments in the Windows and Scripting forums where I linked to this location. here are the direct links for those who are interested:

    Scripting forum thread:
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbf275d.3bc25cac/2>

    Windows forum thread:
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc25cae/0>