Professional Web Applications Themes

Database question - PHP Development

Hi Group, Currently i am connecting the underlying database server from every php page. To reduce the connection overhead i am thinking to store the PEAR DB object into the registry (session) at the time of user login. Here i am connecting the Database only one time and rest of the time i am using the object stored in the memory. Even this is more helpful when the application is connecting more than one database..My application is getting feed from four different databases reside on two different servers. I don't know what ever i am thinking is correct or not.. ...

  1. #1

    Default Database question

    Hi Group,

    Currently i am connecting the underlying database
    server from every php page. To reduce the connection
    overhead i am thinking to store the PEAR DB object
    into the registry (session) at the time of user login.
    Here i am connecting the Database only one time and
    rest of the time i am using the object stored in the
    memory. Even this is more helpful when the application
    is connecting more than one database..My application
    is getting feed from four different databases reside
    on two different servers.

    I don't know what ever i am thinking is correct or
    not.. Please guide me if i am wrong anywhere and if
    any one of you have better idea then please disucss.

    Thanks

    Hardik Doshi

    [url]http://sbc.[/url]
    Hardik Doshi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Database question

    definately do NOT recommend this path-
    Just make an include file at the top of each page

    pete

    Hardik Doshi wrote:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > Currently i am connecting the underlying database
    > server from every php page. To reduce the connection
    > overhead i am thinking to store the PEAR DB object
    > into the registry (session) at the time of user login.
    > Here i am connecting the Database only one time and
    > rest of the time i am using the object stored in the
    > memory. Even this is more helpful when the application
    > is connecting more than one database..My application
    > is getting feed from four different databases reside
    > on two different servers.
    >
    > I don't know what ever i am thinking is correct or
    > not.. Please guide me if i am wrong anywhere and if
    > any one of you have better idea then please disucss.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hardik Doshi

    > [url]http://sbc.[/url]
    Pete Morganic Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,
    I am new to Dreamweaver so please forgive me while I ask a dumb question.

    I am building a website that will have a form for users to enter their contact information. I want to write this to a database, most likely an Access database. What would be the easiest way to do this, and how?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    gsukozmo webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    ASP

    "gsukozmo" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am new to Dreamweaver so please forgive me while I ask a dumb question.
    >
    > I am building a website that will have a form for users to enter their
    contact information. I want to write this to a database, most likely an
    Access database. What would be the easiest way to do this, and how?

    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    Les Matthews Guest

  5. #5

    It depends... what scripting languages does your host support? (ASP, ..NET, CF, PHP, ???)

    As far as building the pages, I think the best place to start would be to go through the examples and tutorials that come with DW to get a basic understanding of how to work with dynamic data.

    --

    Dave
    If I were half as smart as people think I am...

    =======================

    David R. Wheeler Guest

  6. #6

    I have webhosting, which supports php4. I have unlimited DSN's/Datasources
    with my account however i dont have access to MySQL, only to Microsoft SQL
    Server 2000 if i pay for it, which i dont want to do. Is it possible to
    still use phpnuke?

    Thanx
    Luke

    Luke Smith Guest

  7. #7

    I don't have sql so is it better to use access as a database or
    mysql (which I dowloaded and don't know where it went)?
    So that will be my next question.
    Does mysql open like access with a window to design?
    I can't find it anywhere.
    Thanks

    Nic Guest

  8. #8

    MySQL is a database _server_. MS-Access is just a database program that saves
    data to a file.

    Give this a shot:
    [url]http://www.mysql.com/products/query-browser/[/url]. These are very good GUI tools
    for working with MySQL.

    HTH

    cf_menace Guest

  9. #9

    Use Navicat (PremiumSoft Navicat) which gives you a gui feel for mysql

    "cf_menace" <amorenofactorsofi.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > MySQL is a database _server_. MS-Access is just a database program that
    > saves
    > data to a file.
    >
    > Give this a shot:
    > [url]http://www.mysql.com/products/query-browser/[/url]. These are very good GUI