Professional Web Applications Themes

datacenter monitoring tools - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi, My company need a data center monitoring solution that will monitor HP Nonstop, AIX, Windows, and Linux server and send alert thourgh SMS, email and pager. It need to monitor disc space, processes, cpu and network traffic and provide report for capacity planning purpose. It should be also able to monitor datacenter temperature and humidity. Please recommend me a solution that meet all these need....

  1. #1

    Default datacenter monitoring tools

    Hi,

    My company need a data center monitoring solution that will monitor HP
    Nonstop, AIX, Windows, and Linux server and send alert thourgh SMS,
    email and pager.

    It need to monitor disc space, processes, cpu and network traffic and
    provide report for capacity planning purpose. It should be also able to
    monitor datacenter temperature and humidity.

    Please recommend me a solution that meet all these need.

    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: datacenter monitoring tools

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "Robert Ngo" <com> wrote:

    Well, why don't you tell us what you've identified as candidates for
    these tasks and we'll tell you our experience with said tools. That
    way, it doesn't look like we're doing your job for you (or your
    homework).

    You _are_ aware that the internal sensors inside boxes aren't the same
    as externally mounted sensors at strategic points around the datacenter,
    right? AFAIK, I haven't seen anything that can read the temp and
    humidity sensors you've distributed throughout your datacenter. You may
    have to break out the sodering iron and visit Radio Shack to buy parts
    to build some hardware.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    On 2006-04-19, Robert Ngo <com> wrote:

    Look at Big Sister.
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    > Well, why don't you tell us what you've identified as candidates for
    > these tasks and we'll tell you our experience with said tools. That
    > way, it doesn't look like we're doing your job for you (or your
    > homework).[/ref]

    I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this !!

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

    It is always of the form: Hitting reply will work
    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    On 19 Apr 2006 00:34:26 -0700, Robert Ngo <com> wrote:

    Big Brother, and Nagios, are two good options. Both free or close to
    it, depending on your use. We use both, they each have their strengths.
    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:21 -0700, Michael Vilain <net> wrote:

    ServerTechnology.com has a rack-mount power strip that does current,
    temp, and humidity monitoring. I'm expecting an eval unit any minute to
    play with. web-based interface, does SMTP also. Looks good on the
    glossies, at least.

    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>,
    Dave Hinz <net> writes:

    > Big Brother, and Nagios, are two good options. Both free or close to
    > it, depending on your use. We use both, they each have their strengths.[/ref]

    You might also want to look at BMC Patrol. It's a bit of a PITA to set up but
    has lots of bells'n'whistles out of the box and has a good programming
    interface for what isn't there. Pricey, but worth a look.

    Bob Melson

    -----
    "We can forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
    tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." ---Plato
    -----

    Robert Guest

  8. #8

    On 19 Apr 2006 00:34:26 -0700
    "Robert Ngo" <com> wrote:

    nagios. Though you'll have to finagle the datacenter temperature and
    humidity monitoring.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

    Stefaan Guest

  9. #9

    Stefaan A Eeckels <lu> wrote:

    > nagios. Though you'll have to finagle the datacenter temperature and
    > humidity monitoring.[/ref]

    This looks slick, although I haven't tried it:

    http://nagios.org/products/environmental/

    Warren Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:15:22 -0000
    Warren Block <com> wrote:

    Looks neat indeed. Thanks for the link!

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels

  11. #11

    In article <lu>,
    Stefaan A Eeckels <lu> writes:

    > Looks neat indeed. Thanks for the link![/ref]

    I put a simple SensorSoft unit in my last data center to just monitor
    temperature for a lot less cash. It hooked to a Sun serial port and
    came with a simple command to return the temp from the unit. A simple
    wrapper script for Big Brother and it worked great. They also have
    several other units; one for temp and humidity for just $200.

    http://www.sensorsoft.com/

    --
    - Kyle
    com http://www.panix.com/~kylet

  12. #12

    the tools that i implemented in my previous company are nagios, mrtg
    and logwatch, all server monitored are running linux.

    My current company have a larger datacenter with many different type of
    servers. What i want is something easier to configure and able to
    generate fancy report for the management.

    Robert Guest

  13. #13

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "Robert Ngo" <com> wrote:

    Open your wallet.

    Michael Guest

  14. #14

    On 20 Apr 2006 22:58:00 -0700, Robert Ngo <com> wrote:

    So this is a reporting question, rather than a monitoring question?

    Dave Guest