This is specifically what is going on in my application:
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/using/building/webcontrols/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-commondatagridmistakes.asp#aspnet-commondatagridmistakes_topic6[/url]

However, regardless of how I bind my dataset... it keeps showing up without data. Here's the code in my edit handler (GetApplicationReleases returns a dataset):

Private Sub ApplicationReleaseDataGrid_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs ) Handles ApplicationReleaseDataGrid.EditCommand
ApplicationReleaseDataGrid.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
ApplicationReleaseDataGrid.DataSource = _application.GetApplicationReleases
ApplicationReleaseDataGrid.DataBind()
End Sub

--
-AC