Professional Web Applications Themes

Datasheet Fields Blank - Microsoft Access

Hi , When using a datasheet view on Subform. Everytime I move to the next record, my fields on the previous record which have the Requery Function Linkes to them, go blank. Is there a command I can input in to the VB code instead of or aswell as .Requery? i.e, show data in fields when not active record - type command?? Would appreciate any suggestions on this. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Datasheet Fields Blank

    Hi ,

    When using a datasheet view on Subform. Everytime I move
    to the next record, my fields on the previous record which
    have the Requery Function Linkes to them, go blank.

    Is there a command I can input in to the VB code instead
    of or aswell as .Requery?

    i.e, show data in fields when not active record - type
    command??

    Would appreciate any suggestions on this.

    Thanks
    Andrew H Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Datasheet Fields Blank

    Andrew, this happens if you use:
    - using combo boxes that have the bound column zero width, and
    - the RowSource dependent on a value in the current row, and
    - it's a continuous form or datasheet.

    In this case, the combo's RowSource does not contain the display value for
    the other rows, and since the bound column is not being displayed, you have
    given Access nothing to display.

    The workaround is not to hide the bound column, or not to limit the
    RowSource. There are other fudges that involve including the table of the
    combo's RowSource in the RecordSource of the form, so you can place a text
    box on top of the combo to show the value. Messy.

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
    Tips for Access users - [url]http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html[/url]

    "Andrew H" <nospamwork> wrote in message
    > Hi ,
    >
    > When using a datasheet view on Subform. Everytime I move
    > to the next record, my fields on the previous record which
    > have the Requery Function Linkes to them, go blank.
    >
    > Is there a command I can input in to the VB code instead
    > of or aswell as .Requery?
    >
    > i.e, show data in fields when not active record - type
    > command??
    >
    > Would appreciate any suggestions on this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Allen Browne Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply. How do you mean not hide the bound
    column? The bound column is set to 1. Is this correct.

    Thanks

    Andrew H Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Allen,

    Thanks, I have made the change and yes it does display all
    subform record's data, but now only shows the record id
    rather than the data i want to see, have tried swapping
    this over and it appears I am only going to see the record
    number!

    I guess this is what you meant?

    Is there no way I can get it to show what I want! This is
    a real nightmare. I appreciate your help!!

    Andrew H Guest

  5. #5

    The other alternative is to use a query as the source for your form.
    Include the lookup table.
    Double-click the line joining the 2 tables in query design, and choose the
    appropriate outer join (option 2 or 3).

    That way you can include the text from the lookup table in the form's
    recordsource, so you can display it in a (read-only) text box alongside your
    combo.

    If you don't want to do that, you're going to have to leave all the records
    in the combo, or show the combo's bound column.

    --

    > Hi Allen,
    >
    > Thanks, I have made the change and yes it does display all
    > subform record's data, but now only shows the record id
    > rather than the data i want to see, have tried swapping
    > this over and it appears I am only going to see the record
    > number!
    >
    > I guess this is what you meant?
    >
    > Is there no way I can get it to show what I want! This is
    > a real nightmare. I appreciate your help!!

    Allen Browne Guest