Professional Web Applications Themes

Dataview filter remains filtered across users. - ASP.NET General

I have dataview which is stored in Cache for about 10 minutes. When a web user makes a selection the cached data is called from cache, sorted, filtered and bound to a datagrid. The cache is not re-saved. When the next user comes along if they have no querystring parameters, they are supposed to default back to the beginning of the data, but instead the data grid starts at the point the last user was viewing. The users are able to get back to any part of the data but it seems a bit odd that this is happenning. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Dataview filter remains filtered across users.

    I have dataview which is stored in Cache for about 10 minutes. When a web
    user makes a selection the cached data is called from cache, sorted,
    filtered and bound to a datagrid. The cache is not re-saved. When the next
    user comes along if they have no querystring parameters, they are supposed
    to default back to the beginning of the data, but instead the data grid
    starts at the point the last user was viewing. The users are able to get
    back to any part of the data but it seems a bit odd that this is happenning.
    I would think that the sort of one user should effect the sort of the other
    user.

    A temporary solution has been to re-filter the dataview after the datagrid
    is bound to include all the records but it really doesn't make sense to me
    at the next user get a page-load which is calls the cache. I'm concerned as
    their may be other data that is being used "across" users that shouldn't be.
    Is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

    vMike Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    Dataview represents a databindable, customized view of a DataTable for
    sorting, filtering, searching, editing, and navigation. So every action
    you perform actually influences the underline datatable. Maybe itís
    better for you to save datatable and clone it for every request or
    alternatively keep the dataview in each user session (although I donít
    like both of those methods)

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    34th Elkalay st. Raanana
    Israel , 43000
    Phone Numbers:
    Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
    Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Guest

  3. #3

    Well the origin of my data is an xml file which is uploaded usually once a
    day. The only other update to the file is when a purchase is made from the
    site. Write now I am caching the dataview for 10 minutes with a dependency
    on the xml file. Do you think a better strategy is to cache the xml file?

    "Natty Gur" <com> wrote in message

    vMike Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I think its better. you can use xslt to filter or sort the XML.

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    34th Elkalay st. Raanana
    Israel , 43000