Professional Web Applications Themes

DB Connection Error: Data source name not found - Dreamweaver AppDev

Hei, I am using Dreamweaver MX 6.1, XP SP2 and trying to connect to a MS Access db. I can open & preview the page & data correctly using IIS and localhost. However, on the remote server I keep getting: "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified /Test.asp, line 5 " Line 5 reads: Recordset1.ActiveConnection = MM_WWCONNECT_STRING; I have tried: -Make sure a Data Source Name (DSN) has been created on both the web server and on the local machine. -The DSN may have been ...

  1. #1

    Default DB Connection Error: Data source name not found

    Hei,

    I am using Dreamweaver MX 6.1, XP SP2 and trying to connect to a MS Access db.

    I can open & preview the page & data correctly using IIS and localhost.
    However, on the remote server I keep getting:

    "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
    driver specified

    /Test.asp, line 5 "

    Line 5 reads: Recordset1.ActiveConnection = MM_WWCONNECT_STRING;

    I have tried:

    -Make sure a Data Source Name (DSN) has been created on both the web server
    and on the local machine.
    -The DSN may have been set up as a User DSN not a System DSN. This can be
    resolved by deleting the User DSN and creating a System DSN. Don't forget to
    delete the User DSN after creating the new System DSN (duplicate DSN names will
    produce a new ODBC error).
    -The Access file is locked because a lock file (.ldb) exists, even after new
    System DSN's have been created. The lock file may be due to a DSN of a
    different name accessing the database. Search in Windows Explorer or Find for
    *.ldb and delete the yourfilename.ldb file. If another DSN (user or System)
    exists, you may want to delete it. Be sure to reboot the machine after making
    these changes.

    It has been suggested that the Access db may have incorrect permissions but
    can't seem to change them from XP. Don't think this is the issue.

    I have set up the Database DSN & Binding and it even tests OK (connection
    made) but on the live server all I get is errors.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am chewing through the furniture in
    frustration.

    Polite Elliot

    Polite Elliot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DB Connection Error: Data source name not found

    are you managing the remote server? i had a similar problem recently &
    despite i deleted & created several times the DSN through the Control
    Panel the error kept until the ISP tech support fixed something

    HTH,

    manuel

    Polite Elliot wrote:
    > Hei,
    >
    > I am using Dreamweaver MX 6.1, XP SP2 and trying to connect to a MS Access db.
    >
    > I can open & preview the page & data correctly using IIS and localhost.
    > However, on the remote server I keep getting:
    >
    > "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    >
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
    > driver specified
    >
    > /Test.asp, line 5 "
    >
    > Line 5 reads: Recordset1.ActiveConnection = MM_WWCONNECT_STRING;
    >
    > I have tried:
    >
    > -Make sure a Data Source Name (DSN) has been created on both the web server
    > and on the local machine.
    > -The DSN may have been set up as a User DSN not a System DSN. This can be
    > resolved by deleting the User DSN and creating a System DSN. Don't forget to
    > delete the User DSN after creating the new System DSN (duplicate DSN names will
    > produce a new ODBC error).
    > -The Access file is locked because a lock file (.ldb) exists, even after new
    > System DSN's have been created. The lock file may be due to a DSN of a
    > different name accessing the database. Search in Windows Explorer or Find for
    > *.ldb and delete the yourfilename.ldb file. If another DSN (user or System)
    > exists, you may want to delete it. Be sure to reboot the machine after making
    > these changes.
    >
    > It has been suggested that the Access db may have incorrect permissions but
    > can't seem to change them from XP. Don't think this is the issue.
    >
    > I have set up the Database DSN & Binding and it even tests OK (connection
    > made) but on the live server all I get is errors.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am chewing through the furniture in
    > frustration.
    >
    > Polite Elliot

    Manuel Socarras Guest

  3. #3

    Got It!

    I used a custom connection string:

    "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/myfolder/mydatabase.mdb")

    Polite Elliot Guest