Professional Web Applications Themes

Db independent solution to importing data - MySQL

Hi, For product demos to get users up and running quickly I need a database and content. While databases such as Oracle have great uilities like import/export to ship 'start/vendor supplied reference data' I would like to ship something suitable for several databases - Oracle, mySQL, hSql, etc. I dont have a problem writing the sql schema scripts - most of the differences from one database to another are not huge to change. But the content seems problematic - regardless of the db vendor - while I *could* use general insert statements (ugh) - that falls down quickly with 2000 ...

  1. #1

    Default Db independent solution to importing data

    Hi,

    For product demos to get users up and running quickly I need a database
    and content.

    While databases such as Oracle have great uilities like import/export
    to ship 'start/vendor supplied reference data' I would like to ship
    something suitable for several databases - Oracle, mySQL, hSql, etc.

    I dont have a problem writing the sql schema scripts - most of the
    differences from one database to another are not huge to change.

    But the content seems problematic - regardless of the db vendor - while
    I *could* use general insert statements (ugh) - that falls down quickly
    with 2000 character fields or binary data.

    Do I truly need to write my own stand alone application (perhaps Java +
    propreitary binary files) to import the reference data or is there
    another way?

    thanks

    Tim

    timasmith@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Db independent solution to importing data

    (rips open the plastic wrapper of microwavable popcorn and heads to the
    kitchen ...)

    I wonder how long it will be until Mladen mentions the Perl DBI and its
    cross-platform abilities albeit limited by lacking array-interface
    support.

    4:08 pm EDT.

    -bdbafh

    bdbafh@gmail.com Guest

  3. #3

    <timasmithhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1147895142.398214.254280u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > For product demos to get users up and running quickly I need a database
    > and content.
    >
    > While databases such as Oracle have great uilities like import/export
    > to ship 'start/vendor supplied reference data' I would like to ship
    > something suitable for several databases - Oracle, mySQL, hSql, etc.
    >
    > I dont have a problem writing the sql schema scripts - most of the
    > differences from one database to another are not huge to change.
    >
    > But the content seems problematic - regardless of the db vendor - while
    > I *could* use general insert statements (ugh) - that falls down quickly
    > with 2000 character fields or binary data.
    >
    > Do I truly need to write my own stand alone application (perhaps Java +
    > propreitary binary files) to import the reference data or is there
    > another way?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Tim

    I don't know about mySQL etc. but don't each of those have an export and
    import utility? If they do then just do 3 exports, 1 from each db. Then
    ship them and let the customer import with the proper utility. It should
    take a lot shorter than writing something. (and making that thing perform
    well etc.) You have to test agaainst all those databases anyway.(so you
    should have them in house)
    Jim

    Jim Kennedy Guest

  4. #4

    Perhaps you can use [url]http://dbunit.sourceforge.net/[/url] ?

    Though I have no real experience with the tool so I can't qualify my
    suggestion.

    Brian Plauborg Guest