Professional Web Applications Themes

DB2, C-ISAM, SQL = confusion - Informix

Please bear with me on this but... We are a small manufacturing company looking for new corporate software (accounting, manufacturing with MRP, and sales order entry on a Unix/Linux platform. We have narrowed our choices down to 2 vendors. One utilizes DB2 and one utilizes C-ISAM. As I am not a database guru (and our company does not have an MIS department) I would like to ask the following questions: 1) Does C-ISAM = Informix? 2) Is DB2 or C-ISAM better or just different. We will have about 100,000 (including sales and inventory) records with multiple relationships through tables. 3) ...

  1. #1

    Default DB2, C-ISAM, SQL = confusion

    Please bear with me on this but...

    We are a small manufacturing company looking for new corporate
    software (accounting, manufacturing with MRP, and sales order entry on
    a Unix/Linux platform. We have narrowed our choices down to 2 vendors.
    One utilizes DB2 and one utilizes C-ISAM. As I am not a database guru
    (and our company does not have an MIS department) I would like to ask
    the following questions:

    1) Does C-ISAM = Informix?
    2) Is DB2 or C-ISAM better or just different. We will have about
    100,000 (including sales and inventory) records with multiple
    relationships through tables.
    3) We currently use Unify on a SCO Openserver and I write SQL against
    it for new reports. From looking in here, I see SQL code. Does that
    work with C-ISAM or is that for another product.

    I have tried to find some comparisons of functionality and speed on
    the web, in this group and the DB2 group with no luck. Is there
    someplace you can point me for some direct comparisons? The IBM site
    gave no information I could find.

    Thank you for any help.
    Marsha Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DB2, C-ISAM, SQL = confusion

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:23:54 -0400, Marsha wrote:
    > Please bear with me on this but...
    >
    > We are a small manufacturing company looking for new corporate software
    > (accounting, manufacturing with MRP, and sales order entry on a
    > Unix/Linux platform. We have narrowed our choices down to 2 vendors. One
    > utilizes DB2 and one utilizes C-ISAM. As I am not a database guru (and
    > our company does not have an MIS department) I would like to ask the
    > following questions:
    OK
    > 1) Does C-ISAM = Informix?
    No. Informix (the company) developed C-ISAM and it is the basic
    underlying IO library for the Informix Standard Engine relational
    database product, but the more advanced Dynamic Server products do not
    even use that library.
    > 2) Is DB2 or C-ISAM better or just different. We will have about 100,000
    > (including sales and inventory) records with multiple relationships
    > through tables.
    Sounds like DB2 is what you want to use. DB2 is a relational database
    management sysetem (as is IBM Informix Dynamic Server BTW) while C-ISAM
    is simply a library of function calls for maintaining indexed sequential
    files, which can serve as the basis for a simple or complex application
    specific database system. It is possible for a C-ISAM based product to be
    designed so that access to its database files is possible using the
    Informix Standard Engine (SE), though I cannot say if the vendor you are
    considering has done so.
    > 3) We currently use Unify on a SCO Openserver and I write SQL against it
    > for new reports. From looking in here, I see SQL code. Does that work
    > with C-ISAM or is that for another product.
    C-ISAM does not use SQL, it has only a function level interface. As I
    said above, you CAN design the files and indexes carefully and name them
    in such a way that you can access the files in parallel to the C-ISAM
    application using SE, but that is not normally the case.
    > I have tried to find some comparisons of functionality and speed on the
    > web, in this group and the DB2 group with no luck. Is there someplace
    > you can point me for some direct comparisons? The IBM site gave no
    > information I could find.
    For raw speed, if the database file design is optimized, CISAM will tend
    to be faster. But the relational access will not be there. You will
    sacrifice flexibility for per record access speed and for more complex
    operations a fully relational database, like IDS or DB2, will often be
    faster.

    Art S. Kagel
    > Thank you for any help.
    Art S. Kagel Guest