Professional Web Applications Themes

DB2 Certification - IBM DB2

Hi DB2-DBA's i am newbiw DB DBA trying to brak into this arena.wanted to get a shot at certification and came across certification test on www.ibm.com/developerworks..however very quickly i realized that the certification tests at the develoer website are far too simple.Can somebody point me to a better resource that is much tougher and simulates and drives me to the difficulty level of the actual exam. regards Hrishy...

  1. #1

    Default DB2 Certification

    Hi DB2-DBA's

    i am newbiw DB DBA trying to brak into this arena.wanted to get a
    shot at certification and came across certification test on
    www.ibm.com/developerworks..however very quickly i realized that the
    certification tests at the develoer website are far too simple.Can
    somebody point me to a better resource that is much tougher and
    simulates and drives me to the difficulty level of the actual exam.

    regards
    Hrishy
    hrishy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DB2 Certification

    "hrishy" <co.uk> wrote in message

    I am not sure about the site your specified, but the sample tests at this
    web site are very representative of the actual exams:
    http://certify.torolab.ibm.com/ice/displayPage/en

    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Mark

    Thanks for your response.I had been to this page

    http://certify.torolab.ibm.com/ice/displayPage/en

    But however i realised that the questions on this page are not
    realistic at all they are far to easy from the actual examination
    point of view i beleive.Although i havent taken the actual exam nor i
    have ever worked with Db2 but somehow my intution tells me the exams
    are sitters.I was just looking for some solid material on
    Db2.Currently being located in india i am unable to get hoild of DB2
    Certification Book By George Balkarez have herad great laurels about
    this book for cracking the exam.So i was just wundering if some DB2
    certified DBA's can help me with some pointers to thier sites or notes
    about the kind of questions to expect.

    regards
    Hrishy
    hrishy Guest

  4. #4

    "hrishy" <co.uk> wrote in message

    I have taken and passed the following exams for version 7 early this year:

    512 DB2 UDB V7.1 Family Fundamentals
    513 DB2 UDB V7.1 for UNIX, Windows, and OS/2 Database Administration
    516 DB2 UDB V7.1 for OS/390 Database Administration

    I took the sample exams at the web site mentioned quite a few times in
    preparation. I can assure you that the sample exams are VERY SIMILAR to the
    real exams in terms of the questions. Some of the questions in the sample
    exam are used in the real exam (or at least very similar questions).
    Obviously the real exams are longer. The real exam questions may sometimes
    have more choices (5 or 6) to choose from than the sample exam, but not
    always.

    If you are looking at Exam 700 - DB2 UDB V8.1 Family Fundamentals (which is
    similar to 512 exam that I passed), then you should be aware that this is a
    fairly easy exam for anyone knowledgeable in SQL. Having some knowledge of
    IBM DB2 products is helpful, but not necessary to pass the exam.

    The DBA exams are quit a bit harder. If you think they are easy, that's
    great for you and you should have no problem passing.

    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    "Mark A" <net> wrote in message
    Oops. should read:

    The DBA exams are quite a bit harder

    Mark Guest

  6. #6

    >Although i havent taken the actual exam nor i

    Agree with your scepticism re certification. Wallpaper !
    MCPHEAL Guest

  7. #7

    I don't think the exams can prove you're a good DBA or DB2 developer.
    However, almost any good DB2 DBA or developer should be able to pass the
    exams without too much effort. Further, studying for the exams exposes
    you to all parts of the product. This can help you learn about more
    things that DB2 can do, which is useful knowledge when designing a
    database or a program that accesses the database. There are other ways
    to gain this knowledge, but studying for an exam is a good motivator.

    MCPHEAL wrote:

    > Agree with your scepticism re certification. Wallpaper ![/ref]

    Blair Guest

  8. #8

    "MCPHEAL" <com> wrote in message

    > Agree with your scepticism re certification. Wallpaper ![/ref]

    I think you misunderstood. The comment. "sitters" means (I think ) that the
    exams are difficult. Aside from the DB2 Fundamentals exam (which was mostly
    SQL), I found the DBA exams to be quite difficult. However the score
    required to pass is not very high.

    You definitely need to be familiar with DB2 DDL and DB2 command syntax, and
    too much reliance on the Control Center will make it tougher to pass the
    exam.

    Of course when it comes to a good "design DBA," I have never seen any exam
    that can test that.

    Mark Guest

  9. #9

    >I think you misunderstood. The comment. "sitters" means (I think ) that the

    In football (soccer for those in the US) parlance - a sitter is an easy chance
    for a goal.

    Like I said - Wallpaper - or to borrow another footy ogy - Scotland good on
    paper sh**e on grass.

    There's no substitute for practical experience.

    MCPHEAL Guest

  10. #10

    "MCPHEAL" <com> wrote in message
    news:aol.com... [/ref]
    the

    > In football (soccer for those in the US) parlance - a sitter is an easy[/ref]
    chance

    > Like I said - Wallpaper - or to borrow another footy ogy - Scotland[/ref]
    good on
    OK, my mistake about sitter. But the exam questions are quite difficult for
    the DBA exam. If you don't think so, try the sample exam yourself.

    That being said, it of course does not mean that it is a perfect test of a
    DBA's ability. No test for any profession can perfectly measure one's
    ability to do their job. But the DBA tests are not "sitters" and are
    designed to "weed out" people who only know SQL DML and some simple DDL.

    Try it.

    Mark Guest