Professional Web Applications Themes

DB2 client without the installing client? - IBM DB2

here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver somehow....

  1. #1

    Default DB2 client without the installing client?

    here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    somehow.
    Kenjis Kaan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DB2 client without the installing client?

    On 18 Jul 2003, Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > somehow.

    Can you use Java? I know you don't need the runtime client installed with
    the Type 3 driver, and maybe(?) the type 4 driver as well.

    To use ODBC you must have the DB2 Runtime client.

    [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    Ian D. Bjorhovde Guest

  3. #3

    Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > somehow.
    The ODBC driver uses the DB2 client to communicate with the server. It may
    make it a larger driver than other vendors, but the advantage is that it
    then can have bugs fixed more easily because it's sharing the same code.
    Darin McBride Guest

  4. #4

    No.

    You can purchase a 3rd party equivalent (which will therefore add to your
    cost), these will not reduce the footprint, unless they omit functionality.

    "Kenjis Kaan" <tivolinewbiecanada.com> wrote in message
    news:6a8ba9f8.0307181928.e953e0bposting.google.co m...
    > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > somehow.

    Mark Yudkin Guest

  5. #5

    "Ian D. Bjorhovde" <ianbjormobileaudio.com> wrote in message
    > On 18 Jul 2003, Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    >
    > > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > > somehow.
    >

    > Can you use Java? I know you don't need the runtime client installed with
    > the Type 3 driver, and maybe(?) the type 4 driver as well.
    >
    > To use ODBC you must have the DB2 Runtime client.

    > [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
    I believe that the DB2 JDBC "net" driver is a type 4 driver. It does
    not need a client installed on the client machine (but of course it does
    need the appropriate jar files. No free lunch here...)

    dfdfd Guest

  6. #6

    For Java, you can use the Type 4 Java driver we shipped in DB2 V8 Fixpak
    2. Or, you can use ODBC from a thin client (install it in one place and
    share it across a mapped drive). It's described in the manuals under
    this topic:

    "Setting up a thin-client environment"

    If you can't find it, search on this phrase here:
    [url]http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2help/index.jsp[/url]

    Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > somehow.
    Blair Adamache Guest

  7. #7

    Darin McBride <dmcbridenaboo.to.org.no.spam.for.me> wrote in message news:<p8jSa.461209$ro6.11137717news2.calgary.shaw .ca>...
    > Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    >
    > > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > > somehow.
    >
    > The ODBC driver uses the DB2 client to communicate with the server. It may
    > make it a larger driver than other vendors, but the advantage is that it
    > then can have bugs fixed more easily because it's sharing the same code.
    What about if you write a C/C++ program instead? Would it be possible
    to write C/C++ program that can talk to DB2 without having to install
    the DB2 Client first? I am thinking that if you statically link
    everything into the final executable then shouldn't you be able to
    connect to the DB2 server without any third party package such as DB2
    client?

    The question then is what kind of library package you have to install
    in order to link your C program against? Any ideas?
    Sam Kaan Guest

  8. #8

    Sam Kaan wrote:
    > Darin McBride <dmcbridenaboo.to.org.no.spam.for.me> wrote in message
    > news:<p8jSa.461209$ro6.11137717news2.calgary.shaw .ca>...
    >> Kenjis Kaan wrote:
    >>
    >> > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    >> > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    >> > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    >> > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    >> > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    >> > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    >> > somehow.
    >>
    >> The ODBC driver uses the DB2 client to communicate with the server. It
    >> may make it a larger driver than other vendors, but the advantage is that
    >> it then can have bugs fixed more easily because it's sharing the same
    >> code.
    >
    > What about if you write a C/C++ program instead? Would it be possible
    > to write C/C++ program that can talk to DB2 without having to install
    > the DB2 Client first? I am thinking that if you statically link
    > everything into the final executable then shouldn't you be able to
    > connect to the DB2 server without any third party package such as DB2
    > client?
    >
    > The question then is what kind of library package you have to install
    > in order to link your C program against? Any ideas?
    As far as I'm aware, no, you cannot create a standalone DB2 client
    application. You would still need the instance created to configure
    everything in, and at that point, you may as well have the full runtime
    client.
    Darin McBride Guest

  9. #9

    [email]tivolinewbiecanada.com[/email] (Kenjis Kaan) wrote in message news:<6a8ba9f8.0307181928.e953e0bposting.google.c om>...
    > here is a really dumb question, are there anyway to have connectivity
    > to DB2 database without installing the DB2 client? I am thinking
    > along the line of using ODBC but it seems the only time the ODBC entry
    > appears in the administrative tools section is after u have installed
    > DB2 client. I am hoping there are way you can someone avoid so much
    > overheads. I would be nice to just install a little ODBC driver
    > somehow.
    It should worth give a look at WebServices.
    Since DB2 v8 support it natively, and its widely supported/promoted

    [url]http://www7b.software.ibm.com/dmdd/zones/webservices/worf/[/url]
    Alexandre H. Guerra Guest