Professional Web Applications Themes

db2 installation - IBM DB2

I am new to db2 and i was just installed db2 in my win 2k pc. Installation did fine but prob occurs when it time to start using it. 1 - the 1st error is when i was start using the Control Centre, come the pop up msg with DB29501E DB2 incosistence db2instance error.But when i checked at the system environment there is already a default db2instance named DB2.May i know why this happen?? Anyway I then handled this error by creating an instance in command window and it seemed fine after that. 2- i installed DB2 with my network ...

  1. #1

    Default db2 installation

    I am new to db2 and i was just installed db2 in my win 2k pc.
    Installation did fine but prob occurs when it time to start using it.

    1 - the 1st error is when i was start using the Control Centre, come
    the pop up msg with DB29501E DB2 incosistence db2instance error.But
    when i checked at the system environment there is already a default
    db2instance named DB2.May i know why this happen?? Anyway I then
    handled this error by creating an instance in command window and it
    seemed fine after that.

    2- i installed DB2 with my network id which has an administrator
    authority to my machine.Then i still can't do some of the task like
    create a database and can't even open the Control Center as it said
    that i dont have the authority to perform the task.It's quite
    confusing why i dont have the sysadm authority.

    can somebody pls help me.i've tried to figure out this thing a few
    days ago but still can't find the solution.
    Nasha Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: db2 installation

    See answers below ####

    Nasha wrote:
    The DB2 instance gets created by default at installation time.
    In the system registry, the installation process assigns the following
    environment variable:
    DB2INSTANCE=DB2
    This then becomes the default instance when an application starts and
    checks what is the default instance.
    If you don't want DB2 as the default, you created your instance, then
    change the assignment of DB2INSTANCE to your instance name.
    ###### Check if your id has more than 8 chars., it may be part of the
    problem.
    These issues are detailed in the Quick Beginnings for Windows which is
    online in the DB2 manuals at the IBM site.
    HTH, Pierre.

    --
    Pierre Saint-Jacques
    IBM DB2 Cerified Solutions Expert - Administration

    P. Guest

  3. #3

    i already reinstall db2 in my machine to ensure that everything is
    just goes fine. i installed using my id which have an administrator
    acct in domain, my user name is no longer than 8 characters(5 chars in
    fact).
    then there again i still dont have the authority to perform some tasks
    in db2 in e.g. i cannot even create sample database.why an
    administrator like me dont have a sysadm authority??

    if i log on to my machine as another user(not administrator)does it
    consider me as a client then??

    i am totally lost in this prob.
    Nasha Guest

  4. #4

    I didn't see the initial post so I am coming into this cold.

    You indicated that you were a domain adminstrator are you a local
    administrator? If you do not have a specific DB2 admin group set then the
    default group becomes local administartor so unless you are a part of that
    group you will have problems.

    --
    Garfield A. Lewis
    DB2 UDB Development,