Professional Web Applications Themes

DB2 iSeries tion to DB2 UDB Win2K - Help! (Kent?) - IBM DB2

Hi All; I've been trying to put togther the current "best" architecture for a client who wants to te iSeries (latest version) data to DB2 UDB V8 (latest version) on Windows. It is possible that the client wishes for one of the UDBs (Windows) to be a data hub feeding the AS400 data to retail locations (also UDB/windows). Not huge volume or scope of data, and the latency requirement is hourly cycle. Given the very recent announcement of tion Center support on iSeries, what is the best way to make this happen? I was hoping to "pull" data from the ...

  1. #1

    Default DB2 iSeries tion to DB2 UDB Win2K - Help! (Kent?)

    Hi All;
    I've been trying to put togther the current "best" architecture for a
    client who wants to te iSeries (latest version) data to DB2 UDB
    V8 (latest version) on Windows. It is possible that the client wishes
    for one of the UDBs (Windows) to be a data hub feeding the AS400 data
    to retail locations (also UDB/windows).

    Not huge volume or scope of data, and the latency requirement is
    hourly cycle. Given the very recent announcement of tion Center
    support on iSeries, what is the best way to make this happen? I was
    hoping to "pull" data from the AS400 into a UDB/Windows "hub", then
    te this data out to the UDB/Windows locations. But with the
    recent RC announcement, I'm considering suggesting that they use their
    AS400 as the "hub" and "push" directly out to the retail locations.

    If they accept this suggestion, it is unclear to me how close the new
    iSeries tion Center is to the more familiar (to me) RC on UDB.
    Can anyone from IBM help? The announcement is slightly confusing
    saying the new RC iSeries product will be available 08/30/2003, but
    I'm not sure if there are any major usability differences. It points
    to the standard tion Guide for doc, which would imply there is
    full support for the product natively on AS400 now. True? Is it an
    additional product to purchase or is it bundled with DB2 (like it is
    with UDB)?

    Here's the announcement I'm referring to (beware wrapping URLs):
    http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=vF$G26MjQoT7f82USenGnN9332&request=annou ncements&parms=H%5f202%2d125&xhi=usa%2emain&xfr=N

    Thanks for any help - I really appreciate it.

    Pete H
    Pete H Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DB2 iSeries tion to DB2 UDB Win2K - Help! (Kent?)

    1. I don't see anything in this announcement that indicates that the RC runs on i-series. Did I miss something? Says you need windows. In
    fact, it states "For use of the tion Center, Windows® or AIX® is also required".

    2. Normally ... pull is preferred over push as it will perform better due to block fetch capability.

    Larry Edelstein

    Pete H wrote:
    > Hi All;
    > I've been trying to put togther the current "best" architecture for a
    > client who wants to te iSeries (latest version) data to DB2 UDB
    > V8 (latest version) on Windows. It is possible that the client wishes
    > for one of the UDBs (Windows) to be a data hub feeding the AS400 data
    > to retail locations (also UDB/windows).
    >
    > Not huge volume or scope of data, and the latency requirement is
    > hourly cycle. Given the very recent announcement of tion Center
    > support on iSeries, what is the best way to make this happen? I was
    > hoping to "pull" data from the AS400 into a UDB/Windows "hub", then
    > te this data out to the UDB/Windows locations. But with the
    > recent RC announcement, I'm considering suggesting that they use their
    > AS400 as the "hub" and "push" directly out to the retail locations.
    >
    > If they accept this suggestion, it is unclear to me how close the new
    > iSeries tion Center is to the more familiar (to me) RC on UDB.
    > Can anyone from IBM help? The announcement is slightly confusing
    > saying the new RC iSeries product will be available 08/30/2003, but
    > I'm not sure if there are any major usability differences. It points
    > to the standard tion Guide for doc, which would imply there is
    > full support for the product natively on AS400 now. True? Is it an
    > additional product to purchase or is it bundled with DB2 (like it is
    > with UDB)?
    >
    > Here's the announcement I'm referring to (beware wrapping URLs):
    > http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=vF$G26MjQoT7f82USenGnN9332&request=annou ncements&parms=H%5f202%2d125&xhi=usa%2emain&xfr=N
    >
    > Thanks for any help - I really appreciate it.
    >
    > Pete H
    Larry Edelstein Guest

  3. #3

    No takers?

    How about a simplified set of questions based on the commentary below:
    * Is tion Center GUI natively supported on latest OS/400?
    * If not, what does the announcement below mean? What becomes
    avaialble on 08/30/2003 that wasn't there before?
    * If so, is there an additional cost for RC on OS400? Does it require
    an OS upgrade?

    Huge thanks for anyone (especially from IBM) who steps up!

    Pete H

    [email]phazzardintellicare.com[/email] (Pete H) wrote in message news:<d2a59601.0309171318.4d07a197posting.google. com>...
    > Hi All;
    > I've been trying to put togther the current "best" architecture for a
    > client who wants to te iSeries (latest version) data to DB2 UDB
    > V8 (latest version) on Windows. It is possible that the client wishes
    > for one of the UDBs (Windows) to be a data hub feeding the AS400 data
    > to retail locations (also UDB/windows).
    >
    > Not huge volume or scope of data, and the latency requirement is
    > hourly cycle. Given the very recent announcement of tion Center
    > support on iSeries, what is the best way to make this happen? I was
    > hoping to "pull" data from the AS400 into a UDB/Windows "hub", then
    > te this data out to the UDB/Windows locations. But with the
    > recent RC announcement, I'm considering suggesting that they use their
    > AS400 as the "hub" and "push" directly out to the retail locations.
    >
    > If they accept this suggestion, it is unclear to me how close the new
    > iSeries tion Center is to the more familiar (to me) RC on UDB.
    > Can anyone from IBM help? The announcement is slightly confusing
    > saying the new RC iSeries product will be available 08/30/2003, but
    > I'm not sure if there are any major usability differences. It points
    > to the standard tion Guide for doc, which would imply there is
    > full support for the product natively on AS400 now. True? Is it an
    > additional product to purchase or is it bundled with DB2 (like it is
    > with UDB)?
    >
    > Here's the announcement I'm referring to (beware wrapping URLs):
    > http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=vF$G26MjQoT7f82USenGnN9332&request=annou ncements&parms=H%5f202%2d125&xhi=usa%2emain&xfr=N
    >
    > Thanks for any help - I really appreciate it.
    >
    > Pete H
    Pete H Guest