Professional Web Applications Themes

db2 training idea - IBM DB2

I've noticed while looking at posts that a lot of novice DBAs or beginners don't have access to a real database when studying. I'm thinking of starting a service consisting of about a dozen machines linked together simulating a real life OLTP system with about 1000 simulated users which will be opened to novices to let them see what a real db looks like and allowing them to practise procedures like backups and tuning. I'd appreciate any opinions or comments on the idea. Thanks,...

  1. #1

    Default db2 training idea

    I've noticed while looking at posts that a lot of novice DBAs or
    beginners don't have access to a real database when studying. I'm
    thinking of starting a service consisting of about a dozen machines
    linked together simulating a real life OLTP system with about 1000
    simulated users which will be opened to novices to let them see what a
    real db looks like and allowing them to practise procedures like
    backups and tuning. I'd appreciate any opinions or comments on the
    idea.

    Thanks,
    O. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: db2 training idea

    "O. Kouame" <com> wrote in message

    I have NOT gotten the impression that people don't have access to a real DB.
    Especially since the 90 day trial version can be downloaded for free from
    the IBM website.

    Many of the novice questions on this group actually come from people who
    have access to DB2 at the company they work at, but they may be new to DB2.

    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    Mark's points are reasonable but I still think there might be some people
    that would benefit from the sort of setup you propose.

    I know that you can download DB2 for Windows, Linux, etc. for free but I've
    found that many people are reluctant, especially those with dialup
    connections, when they find out the size of the downloads. The latest
    version of DB2 would probably take 48 hours or more to download on a 56K
    dialup connection and that is too much for a lot of people who aren't all
    that serious about DB2. I know that they can order it on CD but the "try and
    buy" CD was time-limited - 60 days? - the last time I checked and some
    people will be reluctant to pay $20 for a CD that will only work for a few
    weeks.

    I know for a fact that some people would like to "play" with DB2 and try out
    some things but don't want this badly enough to sit through a long download
    and then have to guess at how to answer all the questions asked during the
    install. You could argue that people like that aren't serious enough to
    bother with and you might be right but some might *become* serious if they
    could play for a bit and see that DB2 isn't all that hard to master.

    Also, I'm not sure how high schools and universities are handling things
    like SQL courses. Would they really buy umpteen DB2 licences just so that
    their students can do SQL courses? In an era of tighter school budgets, some
    schools might appreciate a DB2 environment like the one you are proposing.

    I'm not sure if you're planning to charge for the service you're describing.
    I think you'll probably have to charge something to recover your costs. I
    imagine this will take a fair amount of your time to set up initially. I can
    also imagine that you will need to invest time later too, especially if your
    students manage to hammer DB2. Novices can come up with some unexpected ways
    to break things by accident and a few may decide to see how much damage they
    can do deliberately. Also, do you plan to simply let them do whatever they
    want when they want to do it? If not, you will have to become involved in
    deciding which experiments to try and when they can be run without impacting
    other users. That could start making a very large dent in your time.

    I think you've got the seed of a useful service here but I think you will
    want to think through all the implications (and costs) before opening it up
    for business....

    Rhino

    "O. Kouame" <com> wrote in message

    Rhino Guest

  4. #4

    Rhino <sympatico.ca> wrote:

    IBM has a scholars program (at least in Germany) where universities can get
    DB2 for free. Based on that, my university offers a practical database
    course (using SQL) every year, and a administration course every other year
    (I'm just preparing one of the latter).

    Doing the administration the way it was proposed will most probably not
    work, but playing a bit around with SQL might be feasible. Administrating
    such a database will be tough...

    --
    Knut Stolze
    Information Integration

  5. #5

    "Rhino" <sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    I've
    and
    out
    download
    some
    describing.
    can
    your
    ways
    they
    impacting
    up
    I guess the question is how much is the class? The cost of DB2 personal
    edition or developers edition may be less.

    The try and buy is 90 days. With a free ftp program (like found on
    www.tucows.com) you can restart the ftp transfer where you left off, so it
    can be done over several nights. Not too many people are still using 56K
    modems anyway.

    Mark Guest