Professional Web Applications Themes

DBI Install - PERL Beginners

I am trying to install DBI on a Sun Solaris box but am running into problems. When I run the make program, I get the following message: DEVELOP 59% perl Makefile.PL *** Note: The optional PlRPC-modules (RPC::PlServer etc) are not installed. If you want to use the DBD::Proxy driver and DBI::ProxyServer modules, then you'll need to install the RPC::PlServer, RPC::PlClient, Storable and Net::Daemon modules. The CPAN Bundle::DBI may help you. You can install them any time after installing the DBI. You do *not* need these modules for typical DBI usage. Optional modules are available from any CPAN mirror, in particular ...

  1. #1

    Default DBI Install

    I am trying to install DBI on a Sun Solaris box but am running into problems.

    When I run the make program, I get the following message:
    DEVELOP 59% perl Makefile.PL
    *** Note:
    The optional PlRPC-modules (RPC::PlServer etc) are not installed.
    If you want to use the DBD::Proxy driver and DBI::ProxyServer
    modules, then you'll need to install the RPC::PlServer, RPC::PlClient,
    Storable and Net::Daemon modules. The CPAN Bundle::DBI may help you.
    You can install them any time after installing the DBI.
    You do *not* need these modules for typical DBI usage.

    Optional modules are available from any CPAN mirror, in particular
    http://search.cpan.org/
    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module
    http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-module
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module

    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_01basics_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_02dbidrv_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_03handle_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_04mods_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_05thrclone_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_06attrs_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_07kids_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_08keeperr_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_09trace_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_10examp_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_15array_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_20meta_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_30subclass_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_40profile_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_41prof_dump_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_42prof_data_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_50dbm_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_60prep_pp.t
    Creating extra DBI::PurePerl test: t/zz_80proxy_pp.t
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good

    I see you're using perl 5.008 on sun4-solaris, okay.
    Remember to actually *read* the README file!
    Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).
    Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
    Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
    directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

    Writing Makefile for DBI

    DEVELOP 61% make
    cp Changes blib/lib/DBI/Changes.pm
    cp dbivport.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/dbivport.h
    cp dbd_xsh.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/dbd_xsh.h
    cp lib/DBI/FAQ.pm blib/lib/DBI/FAQ.pm
    cp Driver_xst.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/Driver_xst.h
    cp lib/DBI/SQL/Nano.pm blib/lib/DBI/SQL/Nano.pm
    cp lib/DBD/DBM.pm blib/lib/DBD/DBM.pm
    cp DBI.pm blib/lib/DBI.pm
    cp lib/DBD/Proxy.pm blib/lib/DBD/Proxy.pm
    cp lib/DBI/Const/GetInfo/ANSI.pm blib/lib/DBI/Const/GetInfo/ANSI.pm
    cp DBIXS.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/DBIXS.h
    cp lib/DBI/Const/GetInfoReturn.pm blib/lib/DBI/Const/GetInfoReturn.pm
    cp lib/DBD/Sponge.pm blib/lib/DBD/Sponge.pm
    cp lib/DBI/Const/GetInfoType.pm blib/lib/DBI/Const/GetInfoType.pm
    cp lib/DBI/DBD/Metadata.pm blib/lib/DBI/DBD/Metadata.pm
    cp lib/DBI/W32ODBC.pm blib/lib/DBI/W32ODBC.pm
    cp lib/Bundle/DBI.pm blib/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm
    cp lib/DBI/Const/GetInfo/ODBC.pm blib/lib/DBI/Const/GetInfo/ODBC.pm
    cp lib/DBI/ProfileDumper/Apache.pm blib/lib/DBI/ProfileDumper/Apache.pm
    cp lib/DBI/Profile.pm blib/lib/DBI/Profile.pm
    cp Driver.xst blib/arch/auto/DBI/Driver.xst
    cp lib/DBD/File.pm blib/lib/DBD/File.pm
    cp lib/DBI/ProfileDumper.pm blib/lib/DBI/ProfileDumper.pm
    cp dbipport.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/dbipport.h
    cp lib/DBD/NullP.pm blib/lib/DBD/NullP.pm
    cp lib/DBI/DBD.pm blib/lib/DBI/DBD.pm
    cp lib/DBI/ProxyServer.pm blib/lib/DBI/ProxyServer.pm
    cp lib/Win32/DBIODBC.pm blib/lib/Win32/DBIODBC.pm
    cp dbi_sql.h blib/arch/auto/DBI/dbi_sql.h
    cp lib/DBD/ExampleP.pm blib/lib/DBD/ExampleP.pm
    cp lib/DBI/PurePerl.pm blib/lib/DBI/PurePerl.pm
    cp lib/DBI/ProfileData.pm blib/lib/DBI/ProfileData.pm
    /s/sirsi/Unicorn/Bin/perl -p -e "s/~DRIVER~/Perl/g" blib/arch/auto/DBI/Driver.xst > Perl.xsi
    /s/sirsi/Unicorn/Bin/perl /usr/local/sirsi/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap /usr/local/sirsi/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap Perl.xs > Perl.xsc && mv Perl.xsc Perl.c
    /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -c -I/usr/local/include -O -DVERSION=\"1.42\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.42\" -KPIC "-I/usr/local/sirsi/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/CORE" -DDBI_NO_THREADS Perl.c
    /bin/sh: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found
    make: *** [Perl.o] Error 1

    The message said that I had perl version 5.008 installed but I actuall have the following:

    DEVELOP 66% perl -v

    This is perl, v5.8.0 built for sun4-solaris

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Rob
    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DBI Install

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Witzke, Rob wrote:

    Have you tried using the CPAN shell? If you have it available, it's
    *much* easier than the way you're trying it.

    $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.76)
    ReadLine support enabled

    cpan> install DBI

    And you're done.

    Actually, that's a gentle lie -- if you haven't used the CPAN shell
    before, you'll be asked a series of configuration questions before you
    get to the 'cpan>' prompt, but most of them are straightforward and you
    can usually just accept the defaults.

    Once you're done setting up the shell, you get the 'cpan>' prompt and
    from there it's one line to install any module: "install My::Module".

    That said...

    ....do you actually have a C compiler at /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc ?

    Perl 5.008 *is* 5.8.0.

    The reasons for this are old & boring, but basically Perl 5 just kept
    having micro .00x releases for a few years before people got around to
    making the numbers more sensible by masking over a couple of the zeroes.
    Hence, 5.006x is 5.6.x, and 5.8.x is 5.008x. You're more likely to see
    the version represented as 5.x.y these days, but some things will still
    present it as 5.00xy like it used to be. Don't worry about it.

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Moon River'
    by Henry Mancini
    from 'The Best Of Mancini'
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Well, it seems that I don't have a c compiler loaded. (I thought that I did)

    Is is possible to get the DBI stuff pre-compiled?

    Where can I get the CPAN shell? I looked for it on the CPAN web site but I don't see it.
    If I do find it, will it do any good without a C compiler?

    Rob

  4. #4

    --howdy:

    --wouldn't it be better if you went to http://www.sunfreeware.com
    --and snagged a compiler (gcc works, i believe) - i'm sure you'll use it
    --for other stuff in the future anyways ...

    --*shrug*

    --just my $0.02 cents ...

    -X

  5. #5

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Witzke, Rob wrote:

    That'll slow you down :-)

    Maybe, but DBI is often available with Perl itself. Have you verified
    that you don't already have it? What happens if you run this:

    $ perl -MDBI -e '1'
    $

    You should get no output, no errors, if it's installed. If you don't
    have it, you should get something like this:

    $ perl -MFictionalModule -e '1'
    Can't locate FictionalModule.pm in INC (INC contains:
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
    /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1
    /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl .).
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
    $

    The paths will be different, but the error will be similar.

    Again, it's frequently available with recent versions of Perl -- you
    mentioned 5.8.0, which really ought to have it by default. Try this:

    $ perl -MCPAN -e '1'

    If that gives no errors, you've got it -- run it by doing a

    $ perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'

    As noted before, you have to set it up the first time, but after that it
    should Just Work.

    Note though that a lot of CPAN modules depend on a C compiler, and using
    the CPAN shell doesn't get you around that requirement. The CPAN shell
    just automates the process of finding, downloading, building, testing,
    and installing modules, but if you're missing the system tools needed to
    do any of those steps -- such as a C compiler -- then CPAN can't help.

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Baby Elephant Walk'
    by Henry Mancini
    from 'The Best Of Mancini'
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    Chris,

    Thank you very much for you help.

    I ran your command $ perl -MDBI -e '1' and got no results so I guess that is a good thing.

    I will be looking into getting a c compiler. Any suggestions?

    Rob

  7. #7

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Witzke, Rob wrote:

    Yeah, that means you already have DBI.

    Now you just need DBD drivers for the database[s] you need.

    GCC is probably a good bet if Sun doesn't make one of their own
    available. As someone else noted, try <http://www.sunfreeware.com>
    for things like this.

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Experiment In Terror'
    by Henry Mancini
    from 'The Best Of Mancini'
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    Witzke, Rob wrote:

    As others have pointed out, you need a C compiler to install some modules.

    However, I'm pretty sure you can't just "grab gcc" and start installing DBI.
    You need to build modules with the same compiler that Perl was built with.
    If you don't have that compiler, best be would be to a) get gcc, b) rebuild
    Perl itself with gcc, c) then build DBI and other modules.

    I may be wrong about this, so somebody correct me if I am.
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    Unfortunately, this does indeed seem to be the case and I can't rebuild perl without jeopardizing our primary system

    Thanks for all of the suggestions,

    Rob

  10. #10

    rebuild

    You could considere building your own perl and modules.
    If for instance the primary perl of your system is /usr/bin/perl then
    you could choose making an other one as /usr/local/bin/perl and force
    your script using the later.

    All of this assum that your are in alignment with your organization
    policy.
    Convincing sysadmin is not always possible :-)

    José.

    Jose Guest

  11. #11

    Witzke, Rob wrote:

    You can build a second copy of Perl and point to that for your DBI scripts
    by changing the shebang line...
    Bob Guest

  12. #12

    That would be great. Where can I find the instructions for that?

    Rob

  13. #13

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Witzke, Rob wrote:

    > > You can build a second copy of Perl and point to that for your DBI
    > > scripts by changing the shebang line...[/ref]
    >
    > That would be great. Where can I find the instructions for that?[/ref]

    With the instructions for installing Perl itself.

    Just follow the regular intructions for building Perl on your platform.
    The only wrinkle to be aware of that might not be spelled out in the
    standard instructions is that you need to specify an alternate install
    directory, such as /usr/local or /opt.

    If you already have a copy of Perl at /usr/bin/perl, then your installed
    version will wipe it out. This can be appealing at first, but if you do
    this then system scripts that depend on the vendor's Perl being a
    particular version in /usr/bin/perl may break, and if the vendor sends
    out a new version of Perl with some future update then your copy will
    break.

    By putting your copy elsewhere, you avoid such complications.

    The easiest way here is to specify "./configure --prefix=/usr/local"
    when setting up your copy, but read over the doentation that comes
    with your new version of Perl, and look over the options available from
    a "./configure --help" to see if there's anything else you want.

    Beyond that, just follow the shipped directions and, as always, let the
    list know if you hit any complications.

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/