Professional Web Applications Themes

Dear Apple, - Mac Applications & Software

How come automatic window scrolling doesn't work when I try to select text in Mail??? Isn't that a basic feature for an app?? How do I select text beyond what appears in the window (for deleting for example)? As of now it's a PITA. Thanks for listening. Koen...

  1. #1

    Default Dear Apple,

    How come automatic window scrolling doesn't work when I try to select
    text in Mail??? Isn't that a basic feature for an app?? How do I
    select text beyond what appears in the window (for deleting for
    example)? As of now it's a PITA.

    Thanks for listening.
    Koen
    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dear Apple,

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:49:34 -0500, Steve K. wrote
    (in message <east.cox.net>):

    It's working just fine for me (10.2.8)

    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX

    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <houston.sbcglobal.net>,
    Bill Tschumy <com> wrote:

    > It's working just fine for me (10.2.8)[/ref]

    fine here too: 10.2.6
    chibitul Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dear Apple--Mail App auto scrolling on text select

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>, chibitul
    <com> wrote:

    > > It's working just fine for me (10.2.8)[/ref]
    >
    > fine here too: 10.2.6[/ref]

    Let me get this straight: when you're selecting text and you're
    dragging to the bottom of the window, the window begins scrolling up for
    you?

    Koen
    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    In article <east.cox.net>, Steve K.
    <com> wrote:

    > > fine here too: 10.2.6[/ref]
    >
    > Let me get this straight: when you're selecting text and you're
    > dragging to the bottom of the window, the window begins scrolling up for
    > you?
    >
    > Koen[/ref]

    It does for me. Click-hold and drag and it selects and scrolls just
    fine.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  6. #6

    In article <151020031648055609%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    > > Let me get this straight: when you're selecting text and you're
    > > dragging to the bottom of the window, the window begins scrolling up for
    > > you?
    > >
    > > Koen[/ref]
    >
    > It does for me. Click-hold and drag and it selects and scrolls just
    > fine.[/ref]

    Add another me-too to the list.

    Gregory Guest

  7. #7

    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    Me, too.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1g2wwxt.1k5hauro8l3ueN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > Me, too.[/ref]

    Well, here's someone who had the same experience as the original poster,
    i.e. that text did not auto scroll. However, the Mail window was
    positioned such that it went slightly beyond the bottom of the screen.
    After moving it up a bit, it behaves as all you "Me, too" folks have
    been saying. Perhaps that's all the original poster needs to do.

    - Chuck
    Primo Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dear Apple--Mail App auto scrolling on text select / Window positioning

    In article <isp.giganews.com>,
    Primo <none> wrote:

    > > Me, too.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, here's someone who had the same experience as the original poster,
    > i.e. that text did not auto scroll. However, the Mail window was
    > positioned such that it went slightly beyond the bottom of the screen.
    > After moving it up a bit, it behaves as all you "Me, too" folks have
    > been saying. Perhaps that's all the original poster needs to do.[/ref]

    You're right Chuck, that's the variable; it happens to me in reply
    windows that open beyond the bottom of my screen.

    Anyone know of a way to preset reply windows to open inside my screen?
    In fact, a lot of mail windows open outside the parameters of the
    screen, with the scroll bar off-screen, needing repositioning for
    control, etc.

    Koen
    Steve Guest

  10. #10

    Steve K. wrote:

    The obvious answer for the scroll bar off-screen problem is for us to
    petition Apple to allow us the *option* of putting the scroll bars on
    the Left side of the window, where they belong. Then such silliness
    won't
    happen. Indeed, we could even (gasp) purposely move part of the window
    off
    the right side of the screen and still use the scroll bar. Note that
    having
    the scroll bar on the right does not allow much advantage in moving
    windows
    off the left since the majority of important content is typically on the
    left side of the window (see toolbars, text, etc.).

    Further, the scroll bar would be closer to the menus, reducing mouse
    motion.
    And it would even be closer to normal typed text (which is mostly on the
    left side of the frame) reducing mouse motion even more.

    Yes, before anyone comments. I used NeXTstep and OPENstep for a decade
    before moving to Mac OS X. I told myself that I'd get use to the scroll
    being on the right. And mostly I have. But every little bit I'm reminded
    of how stupid it really is. Sigh. It really isn't just a matter of what
    you
    are used to.

    But I note that Apple has done so many good things too. And I am
    generally a
    very happy user of OS X.

    - David
    David Guest

  11. #11

    In article <pa.comcast.giganews.com>,
    David Hutchens <millersville.edu> wrote:

    > The obvious answer for the scroll bar off-screen problem is for us to
    > petition Apple to allow us the *option* of putting the scroll bars on
    > the Left side of the window, where they belong.[/ref]

    That would be an excellent option, with one significant gotcha. There's
    a whole lot of code - both legacy and still being written - that isn't
    using vendor-provided mechanisms to put the scrollbars on the screen.
    That means no reliable way to have an option to put the vertical
    scroller on the left. And since the vast majority of Mac users and
    develoeprs are used to it being on the right, there will be a lot of
    resistance to putting extra effort into being sensitive to that flag for
    relatively little gain. Thing is, it isn't "just a matter of what you
    are used to," but it is mostly that.

    Gregory Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, David Hutchens wrote:

    Well, I used X11 for years on a Sun, and I've always wanted the
    scrollbar on the right. I will admit I like the option to decide which
    side I want it on. So there's a lot of "just what you're used to"...

    Don't know why I prefer it on the right -- prehaps I've gotten too hung
    up on the desktop metaphor and don't want to have to look around my right
    hand as it hovers over the scroll bar on the left...?

    joe

    Joe Guest

  13. #13

    Joe Davison <net> writes:

    FWIW, Sun's OpenLook has a preference to pick which side scroll bars
    appear on. But I think I'm the only person left on Earth that still
    wants to use olwm.

    -- David
    David Guest

  14. #14

    So what's the point of a window opening and positioning itself beyond
    the parameters of your screen, not just to the side, but on the botton
    as well? What am I missing about that?

    Koen
    Steve Guest

  15. #15

    In article <pa.comcast.giganews.com>,
    David Hutchens <millersville.edu> wrote:
     [/ref]

    The obvious answer is actually for Mail to ensure that reply windows
    open entirely on screen. If you have a reproducible case where windows
    open partially off screen, I'd suggest that you file a bug report with
    Apple about it.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  16. #16

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, David C. wrote:

    > FWIW, Sun's OpenLook has a preference to pick which side scroll bars
    > appear on. But I think I'm the only person left on Earth that still
    > wants to use olwm.
    >[/ref]

    Well, I was an olvwm user. Of course, I got caught in the great
    Voluntary Retirement Program at Lucent a couple of years ago, so I don't
    use Suns much anymore.

    joe
    Joe Guest