Professional Web Applications Themes

Death of a 20D - Photography

Talk about ed off? I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D. I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?...

  1. #1

    Default Death of a 20D

    Talk about ed off?
    I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
    I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
    queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
    for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
    weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
    flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
    Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?

    Ryadia Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Death of a 20D

    "Ryadia" <ryadiahotmail.com> wrote:

    >Talk about ed off?
    >I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
    >I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
    >queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
    >for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
    >weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
    >flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
    >Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?

    You never heard of rental?

    TP Guest

  3. #3

    Ryadia wrote:
    > Talk about ed off?
    > I just bought a few grand's worth of lenses for my 20D.
    > I paid for them by selling the remaining EOS film cameras I had. Almost on
    > queue, the 20D decided to act up. Focus all over the place, switching off
    > for no reason. Then, just minutes after all the stores closed for the
    > weekend, it just died! DEAD as a DODO the first time I used the inbuilt
    > flash. Bugger. Now I don't have the cash to buy another body while I wait on
    > Canon fixing/replacing it. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Why me?
    Comiserations.

    How long have you had the 20D? If you just bought it, return it for replacement
    if you can, not repair. The lemon factor dominates and you might get back a
    fully working 20D that lasts a month before it enter lemon state again.

    Finally, don't panic. Remove the battery, the flash card, lenses and flash, and
    pretend the camera is fresh out of the box and start with one thing at a time
    (attach simple lens, insert battery and flash) and check it out... might be
    something silly and ordinary. Check all contacts for cleanliness.

    As to your weekend, maybe you can borrow or rent something?

    Good luck.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  4. #4

    "Alan Browne" <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Comiserations.
    >
    > How long have you had the 20D? If you just bought it, return it for
    replacement
    > if you can, not repair. The lemon factor dominates and you might get back
    > fully working 20D that lasts a month before it enter lemon state again.
    >
    > Finally, don't panic. Remove the battery, the flash card, lenses and
    flash, and
    > pretend the camera is fresh out of the box and start with one thing at a
    time
    > (attach simple lens, insert battery and flash) and check it out... might
    be
    > something silly and ordinary. Check all contacts for cleanliness.
    >
    > As to your weekend, maybe you can borrow or rent something?
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks Alan...
    I actually have 2 of these cameras. The newest is in the Canon repair centre
    with a small adjustment to it's back focus getting done. No big deal, most
    SLRs have these issues from new and you don't actually know unless you make
    some tests. OK so the original one, 7 weeks and 3000 or so shots old is the
    one that died. It really is totally dead, won't power up at all under any
    conditions.

    Dead, gone to heaven (or hell) as the case may be. I also have - wait for it
    ..... A SIGMA SD9!!!!. This is the final frontier of seeing how far my
    tollerance will last. I bought a heap - as in pile of bucks worth - of Canon
    lenses over the past few weeks and I had to shoot a function with the SD???

    Australia is a day in front of you my mate. As I write I am going through
    the day shoot (Saturday) and wondering why I bothered to buy Canon. The
    Sigma's pics are quite good. There's a couple I shouldn't have taken but I
    forgot it's quaint little quirks. Haven't used it for a most of the year. Oh
    well. Im about to dig up the family silver and go the 1Ds route. The 20D is
    not all that much better than the 10D was. I've got an offer to use the cost
    of the newest 20D as part payment for 1Ds... I'll take it I think. Keep the
    repaired 20D as a backup.

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  5. #5

    Ryadia wrote:
    > Australia is a day in front of you my mate. As I write I am going through
    Well, about 14 hours, anyway.
    > the day shoot (Saturday) and wondering why I bothered to buy Canon. The
    > Sigma's pics are quite good. There's a couple I shouldn't have taken but I
    > forgot it's quaint little quirks. Haven't used it for a most of the year. Oh
    > well. Im about to dig up the family silver and go the 1Ds route. The 20D is
    > not all that much better than the 10D was. I've got an offer to use the cost
    > of the newest 20D as part payment for 1Ds... I'll take it I think. Keep the
    > repaired 20D as a backup.
    The Sigma SD9/10 are not as bad as we like to harp, and Sigma really ed up
    by offering it in a proprietary mount. Had they offered it in Canon, Nikon,
    Minolta, Pentax, Olympus,... mounts, they would have really cleaned out a slice
    of the market (esp. Minolta and Olympus).

    Have fun with the 1Ds.

    Cheers,
    Alan

  6. #6

    In article <coa7j6$3ed$2inews.gazeta.pl>, Alan Browne
    <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    > The Sigma SD9/10 are not as bad as we like to harp, and Sigma really ed
    > up
    > by offering it in a proprietary mount. Had they offered it in Canon, Nikon,
    > Minolta, Pentax, Olympus,... mounts, they would have really cleaned out a
    > slice
    > of the market (esp. Minolta and Olympus).
    No, they would still have ed because of their oddball technology
    resulting in strange colors.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  7. #7

    "Randall Ainsworth" <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote in message
    > In article <coa7j6$3ed$2inews.gazeta.pl>, Alan Browne
    > <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >

    > No, they would still have ed because of their oddball technology
    > resulting in strange colors.
    Do you actually own a SD9/10 Randall?
    If you did you'd know it is only under (easiely repeatable) conditions the
    sensor is likely to behave oddly. As for strange colours? Not from mine.

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  8. #8

    In article <30scfpF33o3utU1uni-berlin.de>, Ryadia <ryadiahotmail.com>
    wrote:
    > Do you actually own a SD9/10 Randall?
    > If you did you'd know it is only under (easiely repeatable) conditions the
    > sensor is likely to behave oddly. As for strange colours? Not from mine.
    I own a 10D, but have seen enough of Sigma's products through the years
    - and seen enough of thier digital images to know of which I speak.
    It's oddball technology in an overpriced body.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  9. #9

    > In article <30scfpF33o3utU1uni-berlin.de>, Ryadia <ryadiahotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Do you actually own a SD9/10 Randall?
    > > If you did you'd know it is only under (easiely repeatable) conditions
    the
    > > sensor is likely to behave oddly. As for strange colours? Not from mine.
    >
    > I own a 10D, but have seen enough of Sigma's products through the years
    > - and seen enough of thier digital images to know of which I speak.
    > It's oddball technology in an overpriced body.
    How can I argue the merits of a camera I made a living with in 2003 when you
    have profound wisdom on the subject and know more about it than me? I sold
    my 10D and kept the Sigma. I don't regret that decission.
    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  10. #10

    In article <30t000F343uf1U1uni-berlin.de>, Ryadia <ryadiahotmail.com>
    wrote:
    > How can I argue the merits of a camera I made a living with in 2003 when you
    > have profound wisdom on the subject and know more about it than me? I sold
    > my 10D and kept the Sigma. I don't regret that decission.
    I don't have to own a pile of to know it's not something I want.
    If you sold a 10D for a Sigma, you took a giant step backwards.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  11. #11

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <coa7j6$3ed$2inews.gazeta.pl>, Alan Browne
    > <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>The Sigma SD9/10 are not as bad as we like to harp, and Sigma really ed
    >>up
    >>by offering it in a proprietary mount. Had they offered it in Canon, Nikon,
    >>Minolta, Pentax, Olympus,... mounts, they would have really cleaned out a
    >>slice
    >>of the market (esp. Minolta and Olympus).
    >

    > No, they would still have ed because of their oddball technology
    > resulting in strange colors.
    Most images I've seen from the SD9 have had perfectly acceptable colors. The
    only odd thing I've seen on SD9 images is strange aliasing in diagonal objects
    .... and that only at full res on screen. Having said that it's not a camera I
    would buy. I was only pointing out that Sigma really blew it by making it in a
    proprietary mount.