Professional Web Applications Themes

Debian 3.0r0 and WinME - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hey guys, I saw the light a few weeks ago and decided to install Debian 3.0r0 alongside Windows ME. It was my first time installing any OS (let alone Linux) but it was all good. The only problem is now when I try to boot up, Lilo comes up all right, and I can boot Linux fine, but it won't boot Windows. The only way I can do it is by booting from the rescue disk of Boot Magic and choosing Windows. But then - hurray - Boot Magic comes up instead of Lilo, and Linux doesn't boot . I've ...

  1. #1

    Default Debian 3.0r0 and WinME

    Hey guys,
    I saw the light a few weeks ago and decided to install Debian 3.0r0
    alongside Windows ME. It was my first time installing any OS (let alone
    Linux) but it was all good. The only problem is now when I try to boot up,
    Lilo comes up all right, and I can boot Linux fine, but it won't boot
    Windows. The only way I can do it is by booting from the rescue disk of
    Boot Magic and choosing Windows. But then - hurray - Boot Magic comes up
    instead of Lilo, and Linux doesn't boot . I've tried adjusting the
    lilo.conf file in Linux, but it doesn't seem to help. I have a feeling it
    might be a problem with the Windows partition wanting to be active or
    something. If anybody has any ideas, I'd be really grateful,

    James

    Ayn Sof Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Debian 3.0r0 and WinME

    In article <3f6e6e88$0$23598$5a62ac22freenews.iinet.net.au >, Ayn Sof wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    > I saw the light a few weeks ago and decided to install Debian 3.0r0
    > alongside Windows ME. It was my first time installing any OS (let alone
    > Linux) but it was all good. The only problem is now when I try to boot up,
    > Lilo comes up all right, and I can boot Linux fine, but it won't boot
    > Windows. The only way I can do it is by booting from the rescue disk of
    Need some detail here. Do you not have the option to boot into windows
    (i.e. is 'win' or 'dos', or something like that, not one of the options
    you can choose from?)

    or you *do* have the option and it just doesn't work when you select it?
    > Boot Magic and choosing Windows. But then - hurray - Boot Magic comes up
    > instead of Lilo, and Linux doesn't boot . I've tried adjusting the
    > lilo.conf file in Linux, but it doesn't seem to help. I have a feeling it
    > might be a problem with the Windows partition wanting to be active or
    > something. If anybody has any ideas, I'd be really grateful,
    >
    > James

    having heard so many horror stories about dual booting with WinXP, I
    just avoid lilo all together. During setup, when prompted to 'make my
    system bootable' I just skip through all that. I do make sure to make a
    boot floppy, though. That way... I have *manual* control over what I
    boot into.

    - Joe
    John Doe Guest

  3. #3

    Ayn Sof wrote:
    > something. If anybody has any ideas, I'd be really grateful,
    .... show us the output of:
    # fdisk -l /dev/hd*

    and the contents of /etc/lilo.conf
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Q: Where can you buy black lace crotchless panties for sheep?
    A: Fredrick's of Ithaca, New York.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    I _do_ have the option for windows/dos, it's just that when it tries to
    boot, it tells me that a:\ifshlp.sys doesn't exist or is corrupted, and then
    that a:\system\vmm32.vxd is missing or corrupted, and to please enter the
    name of the windows loader (ie. c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd). This freaked
    me out the first time I saw it, 'cause I thought windows had been corrupted
    by installing Linux, but windows _works_ when I boot from the Boot Magic
    disk (but not from the windows boot disk). It's very weird.
    When I'm in windows and I try to boot Linux, all I get is "Preparing the
    machine to boot 'Linux'...". And it just sits there. Oh, and I tried to
    make bootable floppies in the install, but it didn't recognize any of the
    disks that I tried. Hmm...

    I can't really send you the info on the boot partition table and lilo.conf
    directly, 'cause I haven't yet gotten anything running on that computer, but
    I can tell you that fdisk said that the windows partition is hidden (does
    that mean anything?) on hda1, and Linux is the OS that it boots from first,
    and it's on hda2. Lilo is supposed to be booting windows from hda1, which
    should be right.

    I hope you guys can make something out of that. Thanks,

    James

    Ayn Guest

  5. #5

    > I can't really send you the info on the boot partition table and lilo.conf
    but
    first,

    did you run the program lilo? u'll have to run 'lilo' after changing the
    lili.conf.

    Hielke Guest

  6. #6

    Yeah, I did - I reran lilo.conf after I made the changes but Windows still
    wouldn't boot from Lilo, and Linux still won't boot from my Windows loader.
    It's really weird. Someone said it might have something to do with the
    active partition settings or something. I have no idea. I might just have
    to change my 3.5" drive to one that Linux recognises, and make a boot disk
    for Windows and Linux and load them manually.

    "Hielke Hoeve" <nl> wrote in message
    news:bn17sa$rko$civ.utwente.nl... [/ref]
    lilo.conf
    > but [/ref]
    (does
    > first, [/ref]
    which

    > did you run the program lilo? u'll have to run 'lilo' after changing the
    > lili.conf.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ayn Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:54:47 +1100,
    Ayn Sof <com> wrote:
    Post a copy of

    fdisk -l /dev/hda

    and your /etc/lilo.conf
    (You can omit the comments.)

    And where is your boot manager installed? If you're considering booting
    with floppies you might as well just use LILO as your boot loader.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest