Professional Web Applications Themes

debian potato to woody transition - Debian

Hello all, I was earlier trying to get potato installed on to a system and had several problems while doing so. I am actually assigned the task of upgrading two of the production servers from potato to woody, and which is why I wanted to install the old stable. I am a complete newbie to debian and would like to learn as much as I can while doing the testing. How does apt-get affect mysql databases and such other programs? I would still like to install potato onto to a test system and try to get it upgraded to woody ...

  1. #1

    Default debian potato to woody transition

    Hello all,
    I was earlier trying to get potato installed on to a system and had
    several problems while doing so. I am actually assigned the task of
    upgrading two of the production servers from potato to woody, and which is
    why I wanted to install the old stable. I am a complete newbie to debian
    and would like to learn as much as I can while doing the testing.
    How does apt-get affect mysql databases and such other programs? I
    would still like to install potato onto to a test system and try to get it
    upgraded to woody using apt-get.
    I started off with making the floppy disks (rescue.bin /root.bin ) but
    I get an error when I boot off of the rescue.bin. Then I made a couple of
    more rescue.bins to make sure that the error was not in the floppy disks
    but got the same error. I used rarrite2 for making these disks.
    I have a CD RW at my dispense. Is there a way I could instead make a
    bootable CD? I tried coping the rescue.bin at the top level onto a CD, but
    obviously it did not work at all.
    Your help is appreciated,
    Shashank

    Shashank Bhide Guest

  2. #2

    Default UPDATE: debian potato to woody transition

    Hi all,
    I was able to install Debian 2.2.26 on my system (Potato). I could not get
    my network card to work once the system started up. I used all the drivers
    1-4 but apparently the drivers for my network card were not loaded. While
    booting up, the system does recognize the Realtek network card.
    Is there a linuxconf or something similar where I could set the IP address
    or have it receive one from the DHCP server?
    Thanks
    Shashank

    At 09:04 AM 8/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

    >Hello all,
    > I was earlier trying to get potato installed on to a system and had
    > several problems while doing so. I am actually assigned the task of
    > upgrading two of the production servers from potato to woody, and which
    > is why I wanted to install the old stable. I am a complete newbie to
    > debian and would like to learn as much as I can while doing the testing.
    > How does apt-get affect mysql databases and such other programs? I
    > would still like to install potato onto to a test system and try to get
    > it upgraded to woody using apt-get.
    > I started off with making the floppy disks (rescue.bin /root.bin )
    > but I get an error when I boot off of the rescue.bin. Then I made a
    > couple of more rescue.bins to make sure that the error was not in the
    > floppy disks but got the same error. I used rarrite2 for making these disks.
    > I have a CD RW at my dispense. Is there a way I could instead make a
    > bootable CD? I tried coping the rescue.bin at the top level onto a CD,
    > but obviously it did not work at all.
    > Your help is appreciated,
    >Shashank
    >

    >--
    Shashank Bhide Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: UPDATE: debian potato to woody transition

    Hello

    Shashank Bhide (<shashankbiochem.okstate.edu>) wrote:
    > I was able to install Debian 2.2.26 on my system (Potato). I could not
    > get my network card to work once the system started up. I used all the
    > drivers 1-4 but apparently the drivers for my network card were not
    > loaded. While booting up, the system does recognize the Realtek
    > network card. Is there a linuxconf or something similar where I could
    > set the IP address or have it receive one from the DHCP server?
    You can install linuxconf (if it is available for potato, I don't know
    exactly). If your network card is detected during bootup maybe the
    driver module is built into the kernel. However you also need to
    configure the card. Configuration information for network cards is
    stored in /etc/network interfaces. Here is an example for my eth0, the
    manpage for interfaces will tell you more about the syntax.

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255

    The man page for ifconfig would maybe also be interesting for you.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

    Andreas Janssen Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 17:18, Shashank Bhide wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I was able to install Debian 2.2.26 on my system (Potato). I could not get
    > my network card to work once the system started up. I used all the drivers
    > 1-4 but apparently the drivers for my network card were not loaded. While
    > booting up, the system does recognize the Realtek network card.
    > Is there a linuxconf or something similar where I could set the IP address
    > or have it receive one from the DHCP server?
    I never really used potato but there is an option in the install to
    configure network which allow you to use dhcp. Failing that, try running

    dhclient eth0

    HTH,

    Shri

    Shri Shrikumar U R Byte Solutions Tel: 0845 644 4745
    I.T. Consultant Edinburgh, Scotland Mob: 0773 980 3499
    Web: [url]www.urbyte.com[/url] Email: [email]shriurbyte.com[/email]

    Shri Shrikumar Guest

  5. #5

    Hello,
    The install goes smoothly, however I am left with an OS that neither has an
    X windows nor a text based web-browser "lynx". Is there a specific
    procedure to install the X win on to the system?
    Again I am trying to get the potato installed and then upgrade it to woody.
    Please advise,
    Shashank

    At 11:18 AM 8/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >I was able to install Debian 2.2.26 on my system (Potato). I could not get
    >my network card to work once the system started up. I used all the drivers
    >1-4 but apparently the drivers for my network card were not loaded. While
    >booting up, the system does recognize the Realtek network card.
    >Is there a linuxconf or something similar where I could set the IP address
    >or have it receive one from the DHCP server?
    >Thanks
    >Shashank
    >

    >At 09:04 AM 8/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:
    >

    >>Hello all,
    >> I was earlier trying to get potato installed on to a system and had
    >> several problems while doing so. I am actually assigned the task of
    >> upgrading two of the production servers from potato to woody, and which
    >> is why I wanted to install the old stable. I am a complete newbie to
    >> debian and would like to learn as much as I can while doing the testing.
    >> How does apt-get affect mysql databases and such other programs? I
    >> would still like to install potato onto to a test system and try to get
    >> it upgraded to woody using apt-get.
    >> I started off with making the floppy disks (rescue.bin /root.bin )
    >> but I get an error when I boot off of the rescue.bin. Then I made a
    >> couple of more rescue.bins to make sure that the error was not in the
    >> floppy disks but got the same error. I used rarrite2 for making these disks.
    >> I have a CD RW at my dispense. Is there a way I could instead make a
    >> bootable CD? I tried coping the rescue.bin at the top level onto a CD,
    >> but obviously it did not work at all.
    >> Your help is appreciated,
    >>Shashank
    >>

    >>--