Professional Web Applications Themes

Debian rpm - Debian

I just installed a rpm deb package manager, I just wonder. If I installed an rpm package where would it go? I mean don't it get confused on two package manager? -- Thank you, Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx) -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Debian rpm

    --
    Thank you,
    Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx)

    Louie Miranda Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Debian rpm

    Just out of curiosity...why would you want to use rpm when apt-get is so
    fast and easy to use?

    Regards,
    Jake Johnson
    [email]jakeplutoid.com[/email]

    Plutoid - [url]http://www.plutoid.com[/url] - Shop Plutoid for the best prices on
    Rims, Car Audio, and Performance Parts.

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Louie Miranda wrote:
    > I just installed a rpm deb package manager, I just wonder. If I
    > installed an rpm package where would it go? I mean don't it get confused
    > on two package manager?
    >

    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx)
    >

    > --
    Jake Johnson Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Jake, I have downloaded a FileMaker Server Database, its on a rpm
    archive. So I got curious and wanted to know if i will have some
    problems using two package manager at the same time.

    --
    Thank you,
    Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx)

    Just out of curiosity...why would you want to use rpm when apt-get is so
    fast and easy to use?

    Regards,
    Jake Johnson
    [email]jakeplutoid.com[/email]

    Plutoid - [url]http://www.plutoid.com[/url] - Shop Plutoid for the best prices on
    Rims, Car Audio, and Performance Parts.

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Louie Miranda wrote:
    > I just installed a rpm deb package manager, I just wonder. If I
    > installed an rpm package where would it go? I mean don't it get
    > confused on two package manager?
    >

    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx)
    >

    > --
    Louie Miranda Guest

  4. #4

    Thus spake Louie Miranda:
    > I just installed a rpm deb package manager, I just wonder. If I
    > installed an rpm package where would it go? I mean don't it get confused
    > on two package manager?
    Don't. Mixing package managers is Not Good. Really, the only reason
    you should install the 'rpm' package is to use rpm2cpio to extract
    files, or when you also install 'alien' to convert an RPM to a Debian
    package.

    --
    Nathan Poznick <poznickconwaycorp.net>

    Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come. - Carl Sandburg

    Nathan Poznick Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:28:33AM +0800, Louie Miranda wrote:
    > I just installed a rpm deb package manager, I just wonder. If I
    > installed an rpm package where would it go? I mean don't it get
    > confused on two package manager?
    It very well could work with no problems. On the other hand, if the
    rpm you're installing provides a library or some other dependency, dpkg
    won't know about it, and will thus complain when you try to install a
    package that depends on it.

    Using alien to convert the rpm to deb is usually the recommended way to
    install Redhat software on Debian. This still won't get you around all
    possible dependency problems, but at least you won't have to worry about
    managing two package databases.

    noah

    Noah L. Meyerhans Guest

  6. #6

    It is not recommended to mix the two (apt and rpm) because they can't
    validate what each one has installed.

    Regards,
    Jake Johnson
    [email]jakeplutoid.com[/email]

    Plutoid - [url]http://www.plutoid.com[/url] - Shop Plutoid for the best prices on
    Rims, Car Audio, and Performance Parts.

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Louie Miranda wrote:
    > Hi Jake, I have downloaded a FileMaker Server Database, its on a rpm
    > archive. So I got curious and wanted to know if i will have some
    > problems using two package manager at the same time.
    >

    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Louie Miranda (louieaxishift.ath.cx)

    Jake Johnson Guest

  7. #7

    > Using alien to convert the rpm to deb is usually the recommended way
    to install
    > Redhat software on Debian. This still won't get you around all
    possible dependency > problems, but at least you won't have to worry
    about managing two package
    > databases.
    I'll consider converting the rpm package to deb, I think that wont give
    headache on my part.

  8. #8

    alien --to-deb fmserver-trial-5.5-1.i386-makedeb.rpm

    Converted!! :)

  9. #9

    Paul Johnson Guest