Professional Web Applications Themes

Default Font and Units of Measure - Adobe Illustrator Windows

How do I change the default start-up font from Myriad to Arial, and how do I change the default start-up units of measure from points to inches?...

  1. #1

    Default Default Font and Units of Measure

    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Default Font and Units of Measure

    Dennis,

    You can change the unit of measure in Edit>Preferences>Units & Undo.

    To change the default font for all files, you can follow the instructions in the first hint here: <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/illy.html>

    To change the default font for new files only, you can change it in the relevant Startup CMYK/RGB file(s).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jacob...

    There is no aiprefs in the Adobe Illustrator CD folder. In fact, there is no such file on this machine, although it appears on another machine that is running the same version. Now what?

    Dennis...
    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dennis:

    Turn off hidden files in Window's Explorer to find the AIPrefs file. Alternate methods to do what you want include that described in the Illustrator FAQ (at the top of the forum list) titled "How to change default font in Illustrator CS," and my preferred method, make an action. You can record multiple actions with hot keys to set several font preferences while you are working. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jacob...and anyone else that can help with this!

    That last message should have read "Adobe Illustrator CS Settings" folder.

    I have not yet found a way to make Arial the default font, even on the machine that does in fact have the AIprefs file in the proper location.
    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Stephen...

    I had already turned off hidden files. It's not there...REALLY.

    I will look in the FAQ as you suggest.

    Dennis...
    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Dennis:

    AIPrefs is not in a CD folder it is on the hard drive. Mine for CS is-
    C:\Doents and Settings\Stephen Fish\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS Settings
    There may be several of them if there are multiple user profiles on your machine. This file has to be there if your program is working properly.

    What about the other methods for changing the default font? steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Steve....

    Yes, I mistakenly implied that it was on the CD. If you read ALL messages, you will see that I corrected myself. So much for that.

    Like I said before, there is NO AIprefs file anywhere on the computer in question. I don't know why, or what to do about it, or even if I need to worry about it. There is, however, an AIprefs file on this machine.

    I tried editing the AIprefs file on this machine as suggested by Jacob Bugge and it made no difference. AI kept replacing my entry with the myriad entry.

    HOWEVER, I'm pleased to say that your suggestion to read the FAQs for Illustrator lead me to the solutions I needed...and very easily at that. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

    Now, the question is...Do I need to do something about the missing AIPrefs file on the other machine? I haven't edited the Startup files yet, so I'll go do that now.
    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hi...

    Well, here's a surprise to me. I've been claiming that the AIPrefs file WAS NOT on the hard drive in the appropriate location on one of my machines. Well, it actually is there. The problem is that the Windows XP search tool will not "find" it, even though all hidden and system files have been configured to be "unhidden."

    Why do you suppose that it cannot be found on this one machine using the Search tool? On the other machine, it shows up when seaching for it. Although this is not likely an Illustrator CS issue, maybe it is...or is it a Windows problem or a "pit error" issue?

    Dennis...
    Dennis_Brunnenmeyer@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Dennis,

    Try searching for the folder name or navigate to it (probably C:\Doents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS Settings)
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest