Professional Web Applications Themes

Default Font CS2... Why must it be so difficult to change it????? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am at my whits end with this... Why is it so easy to change the default font on an application like MS Word, an ability to do so for many years, yet... it's a major undertaking to do it in Illustrator? What's even more a mystery to most I have discussed this issue with is how the hell did Adobe come to decide that Myriad-Roman would be the default font? Why not Arial or New Times Roman or Helvetica? Why Myriad???? Okay... enough with the rant. All I want to know is how to change the default font in ...

  1. #1

    Default Default Font CS2... Why must it be so difficult to change it?????

    I am at my whits end with this... Why is it so easy to change the default font on an application like MS Word, an ability to do so for many years, yet... it's a major undertaking to do it in Illustrator? What's even more a mystery to most I have discussed this issue with is how the hell did Adobe come to decide that Myriad-Roman would be the default font? Why not Arial or New Times Roman or Helvetica? Why Myriad????

    Okay... enough with the rant. All I want to know is how to change the default font in CS2. I would like a solution from those that have actually had success in doing this... Please!

    Thanks for your time! :)
    Ronald_Cowell@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Ronald:

    There is a FAQ (#8) in Illustrator FAQ at the top of the forum list that explains how to change the default font. Another and somewhat more convenient method is to record an Action and assign a shortcut. This way you can access several fonts with a simple key sequence. Or, hey, do both. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Or you could change it in the AIPrefs file, see first hint here: <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/illy.html>

    This method works on all files, once and for all; and in all versions. So you can open any file, new, used, made by others, and enjoy using your favourite font right away.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you Stephen, the method explained in the FAQ Support Knowledgebase "Change the default font (Illustrator CS, CS2)" worked like a charm!

    As for the method that Jacob mentions in " <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/illy.html> " by editing the AIPREFS file, well, I have used that method in earlier versions of Illustrator and it has worked. However, I have not had any luck in making it work in CS2. Jacob, have you actually tried this in CS2 and it worked for you?

    Thanks guys for all your help!

    Ron
    Ronald_Cowell@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ronald,

    Jacob, have you actually tried this in CS2 and it worked for you?

    No, I am still with 10. I could not imagine its not working in CS2; it would be a pity if CS2 Illustrators cannot use their favourite font in old files by default. I hope someone else will check it in CS2.

    Someone?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    No, Jacob, Changing the default font in the /defaultFaceNames { section
    of the aiprefs file will have no effect in CS2
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you Len. So in CS2, unless you open an new file you are stuck with Myriad until you change font?

    Sorry, Ronald.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    That is correct, Jacob
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    10 is your friend.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    So in CS2, unless you open a new file you are stuck with Myriad until
    you change font?

    No, if you open an existing file your default font will be whatever default font was previously set for that particular file, which is definitely not always Myriad. No matter what your favorite font is, it is not likely to be the font you want to use for new text in every single doent. If you are adding new text to a doent that already contains some text, you are much more likely to want it to be one of the fonts already used in that doent than to want it to be some global default not used in the doent.

    The problem is really that often people change every single bit of text in some doent to use a particular font, and yet leave the default Character Style for that doent set at Myriad. The UI's for setting font through the Type>Font menu or the Control Palette are just so much more accessible than going to the Character Styles palette and changing the default, that people often don't bother to change the doent's default font when they should.

    So rather than having an application-wide default font that overrides the doent's default even when opening previously saved files, I think the UI for setting the default font should be more in-your-face and more automatic. Something like, whenever you change the font of some text which is currently in the font of the startup file to a font which is different than the font of the startup file, and it is the first time that has been done in that doent, a dialog would come up asking you if you want to use that as the default font for the doent. A Set Default Character Style command on the main Type menu might also be more noticed.
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    Teri,

    No matter what your favorite font is, it is not likely to be the font
    you want to use for new text in every single doent.

    Well, at least one of us does, given the choice.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Hey Jacob, I might be able to convince you of my solution (if you ever upgrade). Hitting Ctrl + F2 to run one of my font change scripts is not much of a burden. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thank you Steve, if ever I upgrade I will ask you. But without full Illy face support it is very unlikely.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Jacob,

    Do you seriously mean that if you open a doent where all the text is already set in Garamond, and you open another doent where all the text is already set in Gill Sans, and you want to add a new text object to both of those doents, and your default font is neither Garamond nor Gill Sans, you are more likely to want the new text objects to be in whatever that global default font is rather than in the font that is already used in the file? If so, you have a very odd workflow, since most people want the text in any given file to be typographically coherent.

    Note that this isn't an issue for doents that are new, since you can set your default font for new doents in the startup file. And it isn't an issue for doents where the text is already set in your default font, or for doents that do not yet contain any text. The distinction is only relevant for doents that already contain text and none of that text is in your default font for new doents. If you simply always work in the same font, the matter won't even arise.
    Teri Guest

  15. #15

    Teri,

    Do you seriously mean that ... you are more likely to want the new text
    objects to be in whatever that global default font is rather than in the
    font that is already used in the file? If so, you have a very odd workflow,
    since most people want the text in any given file to be typographically
    coherent.

    No. I believe I am more addicted to typographic coherence than most.

    Are you saying that, if I should upgrade to CS2, all my old files created in 10, when the global default was the fairest font, without text or with text in that font, will have the fairest font set as default so I can just type in?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Are you saying that, if I should upgrade to CS2, all my old files created
    in 10, when the global default was the fairest font, without text or with
    text in that font, will have the fairest font set as default so I can
    just type in?

    No, the only thing I said about CS2 was that new text in each doent would be set in whatever the default Character Style was for that doent. Since doents older than CS1 do not have any Character Styles in them at all, my statement says nothing one way or the other about what will happen when typing into legacy doents.

    The majority of my post was not talking about CS2 (or CS or 10). It was talking about a hypothetical future version of Illustrator. I was saying that I felt that the concept of each doent having its own default font was better than having a global default font that was always used for every doent, and that rather than going back to the AI 10 model, we should instead make it much more automatic for the default font in each doent to become the font that is most used in that doent. If I am suggesting that it become more automatic than it is, it follows that I think CS2 is not automatic enough.

    As it turns out, new text typed into legacy doents is indeed always in Myriad, even if you have changed your Normal Character Style in the startup files. Which I think is wrong.

    I think the following would be preferable behavior for opening legacy (i.e., older than CS) files:

    If the doent contains no text, then the Normal Character Style for that doent would become the same Normal Character Style that would be used for New doents. Thus, if you had set your Normal Character Style in your startup doent to Fairest (is that a real font, btw?), it would become that font.

    If the doent already contains text, then the Normal Character Style for that doent would become whichever character style was used for the majority of the text in that doent, except that if the majority of the text is in an italic or bold face, and the doent also contains text set in a non-bold or non-italic style of that same typeface, then the Normal Character Style would become the regular style of that font.

    The same rules would apply for importing doents in foreign formats that contain no concept of character styles. Importing doents from applications such as Word that do have a concept of a default character style would translate that style to the extent that the object model permits.
    Teri Guest

  17. #17

    Teri,

    I agree wholeheartedly.

    Fairest (is that a real font, btw?)

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/fair-font.gif>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I have completed the Change Default font CS, CS2 trying to change the font default to Arial Unicode MS (our company uses it because of its multi-language versatility). It will not stick. I got Caslon Pro to work but could not get Arial Unicode MS to work. Is is just Arial Unicode MS? It will not work on CS either- Arial unicode.

    Anyone else duplicate this? It may not work anywhere but I just cannot accept that - yet. I have XP Professional on a IBM PC laptop.

    Thanks for any help on this.
    Tim_Brockman@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Tim,

    At least in CS you can change it in the AIPrefs file, see link in post #2; you will have to enter the full name, probably followed by the style, so it will be ArialUnicodeMS-Roman or ArialUnicodeMS-Regular, but it could be just ArialUnicodeMS; maybe you will have to prefix the name of the font house.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    I am having a similar issue with Arial Unicode font. I have an EPS which contains some greek and coptic characters written using Arial Unicode MS font. When I distill this EPs using Distiller I get the correct PDF with all characters visible but when I try to open this with Adobe Illustrator I just see the junk characters.
    Can some one help me in this issue?

    Thanks in Advance.

    Santosh Thankachan
    santoshthankachan@adobeforums.com Guest