Professional Web Applications Themes

Default font in Illustrator 10? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Every time I open a doent, new or existing, and choose the Type tool, I have to change from 12 pt Myriad Roman. I have never used and will never use Myriad, no more than Brush Script. Instead I want the fairest font as my default. Is there any way to convince Illy? And, by the way, why Myriad? For me it might as well have been Wingdings....

  1. #1

    Default Default font in Illustrator 10?

    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Default font in Illustrator 10?

    Jacob,

    convince him, but not with a click. Make sure Illustrator is not running. Open the AIPrefs and search for */faceName*. Replace it with the correct name of desired font. Save and start Illustrator.

    Kurt Gold
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Kurt,

    Here come two even sillier questions:

    1) Is Illy a he?
    2) How do I find and open the AIPrefs? I have searched the entire PC for a file/folder with that name, found none.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Depending upon your Windows version, AIPrefs file is found in one of your system folders in XP/Win2000 it'll be something like: C:\doents and settings\yourusername\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 10 (or whathaveyou)\AIPrefs (no extension). However, AIPrefs is a HIDDEN FILE, so you must in Explorer go to menu bar, Tools, Folder Options, View, Hidden Files and Folders, Show Hidden files and Folders in order to see the AIPrefs file there. If you do a FIND/SEARCH then you want to Control F, Files/Folders, Show Advanced Options, Show Hidden files/Folders.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Kurt: Forgot all about modifying it, now I don't have to watch the stupid startup screen. Yes!
    ID._Awe@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Is Illy a he?

    No. Illy is definitely a girl.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Jacob,

    search for the AIPrefs as Bob described, open it with a simple text editor, modify it as I described in my first message. Now start AI and you will see that you have convinced the boy. :-)

  8. #8

    Kurt and Bob, thank you for your help.

    Now, after a few attempts, I have the fairest font as default; and I have increased the path output resolution from a strange 800 to 1200.

    I have not been able to change the default stroke cap and join to rounded; I have tried changing to ButtCap and ButtJoin, but when I open Illy both are still Miter, and when I reopen AIPrefs, under Default Paint Style/Stroke, it says Buttcap (as I changed it to) and MiterJoin (as I changed it from).

    Kurt and Timothy, how can you disagree about the gender of Illy?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Jacob,

    now you introduce some confusion. I guess the right terms would be *RoundCap* and *RoundJoin*. However, changing this in AIPrefs doesn't seem to survive and is put back every time you start Illustrator. Maybe there is another solution but I don't know the AIPrefs by heart. In the meantime please create styles for your favourite stroke appearances. More pragmatic than fiddling around with AIPrefs…

  10. #10

    Kurt,

    I have tried following the Help instructions to create a style with the stroke attributes. Seemingly, I succeed in creating and naming a style, but it is lost when I close the file. And even if I succeeded I should have to remember choosing the style, so I believe it would be no easier than changing cap and join attributes. But thank you again.

    What about the gender?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jacob,

    Have you considered making a Template for these special and particular setup needs? In Illustrator CS you have a Save for Template option, but prior versions you can do it by saving it to a particular .ai file. Doing this, however you must remember to name it to something that's a reminder it's supposed to be a template ("template 1.ai" for instance) and then immediately upon opening this "template" file, do a Save As to another filename. This will keep your template file without a change, so it'll be there the next time. Illustrator CS gives you a true template in .ait format.

  12. #12

    Jacob,

    if you like to work with styles, there are two simple ways:

    1) Create your styles in the files *Adobe Illustrator Start_CMYK.ai* and *Adobe Illustrator Start_RGB.ai*. Search for them in the Illustrator Programm folder. Once saved, the styles will appear in every new doent after quitting and restarting Illustrator.

    2) Create your styles and save them as a style library. Delete all styles, symbols, brushes and swatches that you don't need and save the file anywhere. Now you can import the library whenever you need it (Window > Style Libraries). If you want that this library constantly appears, choose the option "Same Position" (or something like that) in the Flyout menu of the graphic style library palette.

  13. #13

    Kurt, thank you. I finally succeeded with solution 1). I put the new graphic style first, before the default, so now I can find it.

    Bob, thank you for the suggestion, but I think I have everything in place now: just opening and choosing the first style I have the fairest font and strokes with round cap and join.

    And who can ask for more than convincing Illy?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    This has worked for both Illustrator 9 and 10, but I can't get the same to work for CS. Is there another trick I have to employ, or am I stuck with Myriad? I even tried turning Myriad off in ATM, but that hasn't fooled it...

    Jo
    Jo_Riddle@adobeforums.com Guest