Professional Web Applications Themes

Default font in Illustrator CS - Adobe Illustrator Windows

How do I convince Illustrator CS (Win2K) that I don't want Myriad as the default font? I have followed the instructions for changing this in AI9 and AI10 via the AIPrefs file, and it works in both of those, but for some strange reason it won't do it in CS. When no doent is open it displays my chosen font in the 'Character' window, and then as soon as I open a new doc, it flips back to Myriad. I've even tried turning off Myriad in ATM to get the message across, but to no avail! I've tried changing it ...

  1. #1

    Default Default font in Illustrator CS

    How do I convince Illustrator CS (Win2K) that I don't want Myriad as the default font? I have followed the instructions for changing this in AI9 and AI10 via the AIPrefs file, and it works in both of those, but for some strange reason it won't do it in CS. When no doent is open it displays my chosen font in the 'Character' window, and then as soon as I open a new doc, it flips back to Myriad. I've even tried turning off Myriad in ATM to get the message across, but to no avail!

    I've tried changing it through the StartUp files, and that didn't work either. Why is it not possible to change the default font simply by defining it when no doc is open? This is possible in just about every other program I know!

    Jo
    Jo_Riddle@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Default font in Illustrator CS

    Jo,

    So far I've not seen a way to change the default font in CS, and I've tried all the past tried and true methods.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is CS an upgrade?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bob, I can't believe you haven't figured it out. On the Adobe support website is a total explanation for changing the default font in 8,9,10 and CS.
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1a0c2.htm>
    a google search for "illustrator default font" has this as page numero uno!
    It is explained well.

    Dan_Olech@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Dan,

    I'm well aware of how it's explained, but have you tried to change the font using the starup files? It doesn't take in CS. Version 10's edit of the AIPrefs file does work in version 10. It doesn't in CS either. It won't even keep the change as default if you re-open startup files after just changing and doing a Save As. The Rulers and page tile won't stick either.

  6. #6

    Works absolutely as indicated for me, Bob. I've taken the startup files, made backups of the originals, removed the fluff, changed the default text style and the default graphics style (1 pt, no fill round corners for me) then saved. Works on new RGB and CMYK. I have a mess of templates also (A4 and letter size, 2 to 6 page layout each) and it all works as expected. The only thing I can't get to work is to have anything open maximized (grrr). I just checked now to make sure because I don't use NEW very often and it works like a charm in both CYMK and RGB.

    Dan_Olech@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Dan,

    Yes, but have you tried using that method to make a new default font?

  8. #8

    I don't catch your meaning.
    Dan_Olech@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Dan,

    Read the original topic post. They are asking to change the default font in CS. The method outlined in <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1a0c2.htm>
    does not work as outlined for use in Illustrator 9 or 10, nor will it work by modifying the Adobe Illustrator Startup_CYMK/RGB.si file in PlugIns. You still get Myriad as the default font the next time you open a new Illustrator CS doent.

  10. #10

    My Pleasure. You've been there for a bunch of people over the years and I'm glad I could pay back a little.

    Dan_Olech@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Dan,

    It also shows that assuming things is ALWAYS a bad move and reading fast doesn't get it done in many cases. Thanks again.

  12. #12

    Thanks guys

    This has been driving me crazy, as the 'help' files in Ilustrator weren't very helpful. It now works fine, and I have my desired font every time I open a new doc.

    Very happy :-)

  13. #13

    And thanks to Dan on that one. In any event, glad you have the problem fixed and I'm sure it's help many, besides myself, Jo.

  14. #14

    Default font change - Illustrator 10
    I am also going crazye with Myriad font as default.
    I have tried to follow the instructions to change the default font from Myriad to Times New Roman but no success.
    When I open the start-up file under Windows > Type, there is no Character Style, only Character.
    Also what is CS?
    Thanks for your help
    Sury
    Narasipur_Suryanarayana@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I am also going crazy with Myriad font as default.
    I have tried to follow the instructions but in Windows > Type, I do not get Character Styles, but only character. How do I get it?
    And what is CS?

  16. #16

    Narasipur,

    Quoting Kurt Gold:
    Open the AIPrefs and search for */faceName*. Replace it with the correct name of desired font. Save and start Illustrator.

    The file is rather long. Just scroll down till you find it.

    To find the AIPrefs, see FAQ item#4; but do not delete it unless you want Myriad back.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Thanks for your suggestion. I opened AIPrefs in wordpad, changed the font under \text\facename (Myraid..) to ...(Times New Roman PS MT).
    Started Illustrator 10 but it still came with Myriad.. Am I doing something wrong?
    Suryanarayana
    Narasipur_Suryanarayana@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    This is in addition to my previous message. I even restarted the compute but it still comes up with Myriad.
    Suryanarayana
    Narasipur_Suryanarayana@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Try this for Illustrator 10 and CS:

    The default font in Adobe Illustrator is Myriad. The default font is selected in the Font menu, Character palette, and as the Normal Character Style in the Character Styles palette (Illustrator CS only). The default font is selected even if the doent you open doesn't contain that font or if you last used another font before quitting Illustrator. You can change the default font in Illustrator CS by editing the Startup Files, or in Illustrator 10 by editing the Illustrator preferences file in a text editor.Changing the default font in Illustrator CS

    Before changing the default font in Illustrator CS, you need to create a custom startup file by editing the Normal Character Style in Illustrator's startup files.

    To change the default font:
    1. Quit Illustrator.

    2. In the Adobe Illustrator CS/Plug-ins folder, copy the current default startup file--Adobe Illustrator Startup_CMYK or Adobe Illustrator Startup_RGB--and save it with a different name. (This creates a copy of the original startup file in case you need it again.)

    3. Open one of the default startup files (Adobe Illustrator Startup_CMYK or Adobe Illustrator Startup_RGB, depending on which type of doent you intend to use).

    4. Choose Window > Type > Character Styles.

    5. Select the Normal Character Style and choose Character Style Options from the palette pop-up menu.

    6. Select Basic Character Formats and choose the desired font from the Font Family pop-up menu.

    7. Click OK, and save the new file as Adobe Illustrator Startup _CMYK or Adobe Illustrator Startup_RGB in the Plug-ins folder.

    8. Restart Illustrator.

  20. #20

    Narasipur,

    I suppose the font in the */faceName* is still Myriad if you open the AIPrefs file now (and you did save the change to Times).

    Are you sure Times New Roman PS MT is the valid name to put here?

    What is it called when you open it in the Fonts folder? You might call it that.

    Or you might try shortening it down until it works, first snipping off the MT.

    A default font change should work without restart.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast