Professional Web Applications Themes

Default printer through a TCP/IP connection? - SCO

Hoping someone can help a Unix wannabe - I'm by no means an expert, but know enough AIX and Linux to get myself in trouble. Anyway... One of our departments in our City are all connected to our SCO Unix system via serial cables 9600baud. Whenever they connect through our emulation software, they are given a TTY number, such as TTYR030. The software they use on UNIX somehow recognizes them as having a default printer, any printer for that matter. Therefore, when they're in the software and need to print, the unix software gives them the option of printing to ...

  1. #1

    Default Default printer through a TCP/IP connection?

    Hoping someone can help a Unix wannabe - I'm by no means an expert, but know
    enough AIX and Linux to get myself in trouble. Anyway...

    One of our departments in our City are all connected to our SCO Unix system
    via serial cables 9600baud. Whenever they connect through our emulation
    software, they are given a TTY number, such as TTYR030. The software they
    use on UNIX somehow recognizes them as having a default printer, any printer
    for that matter. Therefore, when they're in the software and need to print,
    the unix software gives them the option of printing to (P)rinter or (C)rt.
    When they choose P to print, the print job goes through the emulation
    software to whatever they have set as their default printer, even to a
    network printer if need be, all through Windows 2000 TCP/IP networking
    anyway... We're very happy with these results on those computers connected
    through the serial ports.

    We got the bright idea that if we installed a 2nd NIC card on this Unix
    Server we could have all of the PCs connecting through TCP/IP to give remote
    locations the ability to connect without dialing in, and could possibly
    remove a ton of messy wires. We were very pleased with the results until it
    came time for a coworker to print. From what we have learned, all of these
    TCP/IP connections are considered pseudo terminals(sp?) and are assigned a
    different TTY number such as TTYP7. These terminals do not have default
    printers assigned to them because I guess they're not really terminals. Our
    problem is, the software therefore doesn't give the option to print to (C)rt
    or (P)rinter as it did before, so all print requests go to the main office
    printer, without even prompting.

    I sort of understand the terminology as why there can't be a printer hooked
    to a pseudo terminal, but is there any way that they can be fooled into
    thinking they have one? It doesn't matter what printer is assigned to them,
    as long as they think there is a printer, the user on these TCP/IP
    connections will be given the option to print. Of course, all can do screen
    prints from the emulation software, it's being able to print from the unix
    software is the problem...

    If anyone could give me specific instructions if this is at all possible,
    I'd be very appreciative...

    Many thanks,

    Scott Nagle, NH

    Scott Nagle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Default printer through a TCP/IP connection?

    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the help.. It's 3.2v5.0.5
    SCO 5 I'd say...
    We're using TUN 11.1 as the emulator and they're all plugging into the
    regular serial port 1 of their white box 600MHz or Dell 1.8GHz PCs...

    The application is a home-grown police database system, all text based...
    It's their program that's not giving the option to print to screen or
    printer
    when connecting to the same TUN 11.1 through TCP/IP vs. serial; we're
    using the same emulation program, just a different way of connecting.
    The company that made the software and installed the server really wants
    nothing to do with us since we're not going to upgrade to their new product
    but instead something else within a year's time, so we're stuck trying to
    figure this out for ourselves if at all possible...

    Hope that helps,
    Scott
    > OK, I'll bite:
    >
    > What version of SCO? (post the output from uname -X)
    > What application are the users running on the SCO system? Home-grown?
    > What type of serial ports? (Make and model)
    >
    > And finally...
    >
    > What emulation software are the Windoze boxes using? (Make and
    > version)
    >
    > Sounds to me like the application on the SCO system handles the
    > printing, or perhaps it is some function of the driver for your serial
    > I/O device(s). Could be the emulation software, but I would think
    > that would handle the change to ethernet.
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    Scott Nagle Guest

  3. #3

    Please endeavor not to top post as the reply after the question is
    more conducive to human understaning.

    In article <3f439ed1$destek.net>,
    Scott Nagle <com> wrote:

    You might try Anzio-Lite for you terminal emulation. It handles
    pass-through printing on TCP/IP. Lite lists for only $25 - but you
    can try it for free with absolutely no difference in performance
    in the unlicensed/trial version or the real version.

    www.anzi.com.

    [I guess you'd call this mid-posting]

    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest