Professional Web Applications Themes

defbootstr | SCO OpenServer 5.06 - SCO

Hello, I have been using SCO OpenServer 5.06 images on Compaq's ML-350, which, until now had been using the 'Compaq RAID LC2' controller; for which I've been using: defbootstr link="ad160 clad" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=clad0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0) ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z However, HPaq decided to change their hardware (w/o warning) and now my clad link doesn't work. Does anyone have an educated guess as to what I ought to try for a boot string with the new 'HP Smart Array 641'? TIA! - Perry...

  1. #1

    Default defbootstr | SCO OpenServer 5.06

    Hello,

    I have been using SCO OpenServer 5.06 images on Compaq's ML-350,
    which, until now had been using the 'Compaq RAID LC2' controller; for
    which I've been using:

    defbootstr link="ad160 clad" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=clad0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z

    However, HPaq decided to change their hardware (w/o warning) and now
    my clad link doesn't work. Does anyone have an educated guess as to
    what I ought to try for a boot string with the new 'HP Smart Array
    641'?

    TIA!

    - Perry
    Perry Whelan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: defbootstr | SCO OpenServer 5.06

    "Perry Whelan" <meba@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:8594ba46.0308180913.510b9a34@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been using SCO OpenServer 5.06 images on Compaq's ML-350,
    > which, until now had been using the 'Compaq RAID LC2' controller; for
    > which I've been using:
    >
    > defbootstr link="ad160 clad" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=clad0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    > ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    >
    > However, HPaq decided to change their hardware (w/o warning) and now
    > my clad link doesn't work. Does anyone have an educated guess as to
    > what I ought to try for a boot string with the new 'HP Smart Array
    > 641'?
    According to the readme that comes with the EFS, the 'hp Smart Array 641
    Controller' uses the 'ciss' driver.

    Given that it's a completely different class of controller, this doesn't
    suprise me in the least.

    The Smart Array 4 series and the RAID LC2 use the 'clad' driver, whilst the
    Smart Array 5/6 series use 'ciss'.

    anyway.

    Hope this helps.

    bkx

    Stuart J. Browne Guest

  3. #3

    > According to the readme that comes with the EFS, the 'hp Smart Array 641
    > Controller' uses the 'ciss' driver.
    >
    > Given that it's a completely different class of controller, this doesn't
    > suprise me in the least.
    >
    > The Smart Array 4 series and the RAID LC2 use the 'clad' driver, whilst the
    > Smart Array 5/6 series use 'ciss'.
    >
    > anyway.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your time; however, I'm still getting the dparam 'could
    not open /dev/hd00' error

    defbootstr link="ciss ad160" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z

    Not sure why yet, thanks for any further suggestions.

    - Perry
    Perry Whelan Guest

  4. #4

    "Perry Whelan" <meba@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:8594ba46.0308190549.3f5186c6@posting.google.c om...
    > > According to the readme that comes with the EFS, the 'hp Smart Array
    641
    > > Controller' uses the 'ciss' driver.
    > >
    > > Given that it's a completely different class of controller, this
    doesn't
    > > suprise me in the least.
    > >
    > > The Smart Array 4 series and the RAID LC2 use the 'clad' driver, whilst
    the
    > > Smart Array 5/6 series use 'ciss'.
    > >
    > > anyway.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Thank you for your time; however, I'm still getting the dparam 'could
    > not open /dev/hd00' error
    >
    > defbootstr link="ciss ad160" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    > ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    >
    > Not sure why yet, thanks for any further suggestions.
    >
    > - Perry
    Ok. If you read that readme, you'd see that only this is required:

    boot: link="ciss" Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0)

    If you want to get a little more in-depth, you can also put these:

    boot: restart link="ciss" Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)
    Stp=ad160(0,0,2,0)

    However, they aren't really required. The Stp isn't used during the
    loadup, and assuming that it's a brand-new system, you don't need the
    'restart', as there won't be any previous settings.

    Now, I'll assume that you've successfully created the container, so
    everything else should be fine.

    Now, as was mentioned in the other post by Scott, there is an issue with
    the SCO provided 'ad160' driver and management of tapes (ejecting them in
    particular) of which a HP provided 'ad160' fixes. I've not been able to
    get that to work as yet so I don't nkow 100% either way.

    Have fun.

    bkx

    Stuart J. Browne Guest

  5. #5

    > >defbootstr link="ciss ad160" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > I've not seen this syntax before - What is it supposed to do?
    >
    > >ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    > Scott McMillan
    after linking everything & loading drivers, it loads the ramdisk.Z
    image off of fd(60) and runs it - custom application after that point.

    Problem I was having was that I could not get the app to write to
    /dev/hd00; dparam was freaking...

    Now my problem is that I can't get the images (which were setup for
    clad & not ciss) to load the new BTLD for ciss after the reboot.

    I can go into /mnt/etc/conf/cf.d and alter the mscsi to read ciss, but
    I still need to figure out how to load up the driver...

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    - Perry
    Perry Whelan Guest

  6. #6

    On 21 Aug 2003 09:02:57 -0700, [email]meba@wi.rr.com[/email] (Perry Whelan) wrote:
    >> >defbootstr link="ciss ad160" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0)
    >>
    >> ^^^^^^^^^
    >> I've not seen this syntax before - What is it supposed to do?
    >>
    >> >ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    >> Scott McMillan
    >
    >after linking everything & loading drivers, it loads the ramdisk.Z
    >image off of fd(60) and runs it - custom application after that point.
    I meant the 'Sdsk=ciss0'. Does it tell SCO to use a particular HD (0
    I'm guessing in this case) on the ciss adapter? What if there were
    multiple adapters? Just curious as I've never used that syntax
    before.

    >Problem I was having was that I could not get the app to write to
    >/dev/hd00; dparam was freaking...
    >
    >Now my problem is that I can't get the images (which were setup for
    >clad & not ciss) to load the new BTLD for ciss after the reboot.
    Images? What images? If you are referring to the BTLD image, see
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#loadbtld[/url]

    If you mean you are trying to configure your system to use a different
    controller, try [url]http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/929.html[/url]
    (Harold was playing with a DPT controller, but it should give you an
    idea of how to proceed)

    >I can go into /mnt/etc/conf/cf.d and alter the mscsi to read ciss, but
    >I still need to figure out how to load up the driver...
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >- Perry

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest

  7. #7

    > > Using the *latest BTLD from Compaq, I got the following boot string to
    > > work:
    > >
    > > defbootstr link="ad160 ciss" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)
    > > Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0) ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    > >
    > > What concerns me is: while the Compaq ML-350 has OpenServer 5.06 in
    > > its support matrix, the HP Smart Array 641 has OpenServer 5.06a; we
    > > are using OpenServer 5.06 (not 5.06a). I'm hoping that in the future
    > > we aren't going to run into problems as a result; we're technically
    > > now using an unsupported OS over a mass-storage controller, on a
    > > hardware system that has our OS within its support matrix (using
    > > hardware that does not).
    > >
    > > Thank a lot HPaq...
    >
    > 641 is a latest controller and hence not supported by the ciss driver
    > available in the o/s media. Hence you must use the BTLD from HP.
    >
    > I think OpenServer 5.0.6a is nothing but 5.0.6 + Release Supplement
    > 506A. It's a free download that has lot of bug fixes and some
    > enhancements.
    > You may refer to :
    [url]ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/openserver5/README.OSR5.Supplements[/url]
    > for the latest list.
    > HTH
    What I meant was: I'm in the middle of a large roll-out. I've got ~30% of
    my servers out there and not not even half way through it I've got a
    hardware change. The server generation is the same, so in the future, when
    dealing w/ break/fix situations it's gonna be a crap-shoot as to wether or
    not to arm techs w/ ciss or clad drivers -- not to mention any 'golden'
    imagecast-type system I've got is now useless...

    Yeah, I'm ed...

    Perry Whelan Guest

  8. #8

    Perry Whelan wrote:
    > Using the *latest BTLD from Compaq, I got the following boot string to
    > work:
    >
    > defbootstr link="ad160 ciss" hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss0 Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)
    > Stp=ad160(1,0,2,0) ramdisk=fd(60)/ramdisk.Z
    The string "Sdsk=ciss0" is incorrect syntax; I'm surprised it doesn't
    actually cause a panic. Ok, from the source I can see that this should
    have produced the message:

    SCSI boot option(s) ignored: Bad parameter count

    That means you do not need an "Sdsk=" string at all. If you really
    wanted to specify it (even though it's unnecessary extra typing), you
    would need to use correct syntax of "Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0)" or
    "Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0)".
    > What concerns me is: while the Compaq ML-350 has OpenServer 5.06 in
    > its support matrix, the HP Smart Array 641 has OpenServer 5.06a; we
    > are using OpenServer 5.06 (not 5.06a). I'm hoping that in the future
    > we aren't going to run into problems as a result; we're technically
    > now using an unsupported OS over a mass-storage controller, on a
    > hardware system that has our OS within its support matrix (using
    > hardware that does not).
    >
    > Thank a lot HPaq...
    I think that OpenServer 5.0.6 (without rs506a) is also technically
    unsupported by SCO. The Release Supplement is basically required
    equipment. Certainly if you run into any problem that requires a
    support call, either SCO or Compaq's support people are going to want
    you to _start_ by installing rs506a.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest