Professional Web Applications Themes

Degraded photo quality on web/other issues with Web-Gallery - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hello, -My first try at creating a web-gallery..[other than Webshots] Could someone please tell me how to remove or edit the photos that the web-gallery in PSE2 whisked away from me when I created the album. I can't even find a link to the site other than the one I thankfully created in Favorites at the start. I thought I had read somewhere about "digging into" a hard-drive to find the file for the editing capabilities and I believe the file is a /htm.index or something like that, this isn't something I know much about yet. When creating the PSE ...

  1. #1

    Default Degraded photo quality on web/other issues with Web-Gallery

    Hello,
    -My first try at creating a web-gallery..[other than Webshots]
    Could someone please tell me how to remove or edit the photos that the web-gallery in PSE2 whisked away from me when I created the album. I can't even find a link to the site other than the one I thankfully created in Favorites at the start. I thought I had read somewhere about "digging into" a hard-drive to find the file for the editing capabilities and I believe the file is a /htm.index or something like that, this isn't something I know much about yet. When creating the PSE gallery I was asked where to save the files and my only thought was "well.. don't YOU know?!" I ended up saving in my BR PhotoArchiver folder-[which I'm still figuring out] Alot of photos that ended up on the site weren't supposed to-[a bad 'move to folder' move] and I need to remove them.

    The other issue I'm having is about the looks of the photo's I discriminately pour over with fine tuning. My way of doing this continues to evolve as I learn but for now I've done this:
    First: If the photo needs more light I [often] use the "overlay" feature with the foreground color set to a white color,[fill-flash can be a little harsh sometimes] this has produced nicely for alot photos and I can control what gets lit-up, and the settings are endless.
    Red-eye's fixed/sometimes have to "paint" in new eye-color.
    Next step is smoothing out skin tones/imperfections with the blur tool and thats about it.
    I experimented with the "save for web" place and found if I set my 1600x1200 jpg images to anywhere from a 450pix-width to 600px-width it looked great until I put those resized images on the Webshot site, as I viewed in "community" they either look like I hadn't re-touched or "over-touched"-just not well executed.
    The optimized photos on the "web-gallery" page actually kept their integrity pretty well but I still need to edit some of them out.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I sure hope this isn't confusing!-I've grown weary here..

    All updates are in place, All new in May03
    WinXP/Home/5.1/ver.2002--DSL
    Sony Vaio Pentium 4/2.66GHz/1.0 GB of RAM
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

    Regards,
    snoluvr ....ok this is taking forever to upload this post-just a note..
    snoluvr@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Well, I'm not sure I really understand all of this, but I notice the post keeps falling on the list, so I'll take a stab at it. Well, part of it anyway.

    I've found that when I do a Web Gallery, it requires a "plan" before I ever open the Web Gallery screen. Maybe if I explain my workflow you'll find some clue to the problems you're having with yours.

    I do all the editing for my images in PSD.

    Next, I place copies of the pictures I want in the gallery in a new folder that I've got labeled something like "MtRainGalSource". (I never put all my pictures in a gallery, so you might be able to skip this step.)

    Then I decide where I want my completed gallery to wind up on my hard drive after it's been created. I navigate to that location and create a new, empty, folder with a descriptive title like MtRainierGallery. Because I use a Mac, it's very easy for me to just set this folder up on my desktop so I know right where to find it quickly and easily. I don't ever use XP for creating these, so you'll have to figure out something workable for you on that OS. Just remember that it's your choice, so pick a place you'll remember!

    So now I've got both my Source and Destination folders right where I want them. This is when I open the Web Photo Gallery option in Elements. From this point on, you just navigate to the location of the folder with your Source images and then navigate to the location of the folder for the "Destination". And, no, Elements doesn't know where you want this stuff - you've gotta tell it. (And if Elements ever does start doing this kind of thinking for me I'll have to find new software!)

    After you've made your other choices in the Web Gallery set up area and hit OK (or whatever it is), the gallery will be created and the whole thing will land in that new folder you set up. Then it's up to you what you do with it next. It can either stay on your hard drive or be uploaded.

    Elements won't be able to help you get any images off of your web site. Some other software got them up there, so some other software is going to have to get them back. All Elements does is create a folder of thumbnails and images that are READY for the web site.

    Once you've created a Web Gallery, it is very awkward and confusing to edit, because if you remove an image, you've got to get both the thumbnail off the index page and remove the page for the corresponding larger image. When you remove something, you break the links. You know those little arrows that allow you to move backwards or forwards? Well, if you've got 10 images and you take out number 6, the forward arrow on number 5 won't know what to do anymore. The backward arrow on number 7 will be confused too, so all of those links have to be repaired. This isn't an insurmountable problem, but "trust me", you can create a whole new gallery in less time than it takes to do all of that "fixing"! I've been there and done that.

    You also made reference to something you'd read about digging into the hard drive to edit. That might have been something I posted pretty recently when someone was asking how to change the fonts in a web gallery. To do that, you do need to access the templates within the Elements application folder. That doesn't have any relation to what it seems you need to do in this case. Any changes to a completed gallery have to be done within the folder that contains the web gallery pages.

    I'm going to let somebody else tackle the problem with the quality of the images after they're posted. I have a couple of hunches, but this is getting too long for one post!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Beth,

    This is a wonderful description of your work flow! I admire your ability to
    be so detailed and exact.

    Concerning the image quality, I have one theory. Maybe that is it, maybe
    not. I think you lose quality if you specify in 'Create Web Gallery' larger
    pixel dimensions than the input file has .

    Juergen

    Juergen_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you, Juergen. It's too bad my husband doesn't always admire my "strong points"! :)

    I, too, had been wondering about the workflow used in creating the Source images for the Web Gallery. I see snoluvr has another thread on this. Maybe I'll post there and ask him for a workflow. We might pick up some clues.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Beth,
    When you said "workflow" I actually had to figure out what you meant exactly. A testament to my naivete.

    I edit all my pic's in PS Elements-[whats "PSD"?]

    I then "save as" a "copy" for the original folder-"My Pictures"-[a WinXP 'feature' I believe]

    All images begin in jpg format and Adobe try's to save "some" in "pdf" but I change those to jpg,-[not sure why some show up in the "save" or "save as" as "pdf" and yet others as "jpg".]
    Why do I change the format?- Because at first I didn't understand about opening those files 'only' in the Adobe interface and was used to seeing the actual thumbnails in the My Pictures folder, not an "icon'.
    I'm begining to see the light here though-more figuring out to do...

    None of the images have been re-sized.

    The particular album I referred to in my initial post:-[first and only time doing this]
    I clicked "Create a Web Photo Gallery" and browsed for the new folder, found it, clicked it, and then got stumped as to where to save in "destination" folder.

    The wonderfully detailed information you posted will help immensely!! And I thank you. I'll also be studying the previously posted items on dealing with photo's on the web as I see there are several. Also will be checking into the Jay Arraich site.

    Camera- Sony Cyber-shot/4.0mp's

    Now to get out of this office for awhile! :}
    Enjoy the weekend!
    snoluvr
    snoluvr@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You're probably out of the "office" by now, but I'll quickly explain the different image formats.

    Your camera stores images in the JPEG format I see. That's fine, and it's very common. JPEG is, though, known as a "lossy" format, which means that each time you edit and resave, more of the digital information is thrown away as the image file is further compressed. That's not always bad, but it's not always the best way to handle image files, either.

    Both PSD - which stands for "PhotoShop Doent" or something close I assume - and TIFF (don't know what that stands for) are known as "non-lossy" formats, meaning there is no compression of image data during saves, and you can edit and save from now until doomsday without losing any image information. Either PSD or TIFF are the preferred formats when you're editing image files in Elements.

    For your next group of images, try this and see if you get better results:

    Download your camera images and immediately do a "Save As" to either PSD or TIFF format. Then, put your original JPEGs away in a safe place for archiving and work on the converted files.

    Judging from the description of how you're currently managing your new files, I think it is possible some of your quality issues might be resolved if you quit editing in JPEG. It's certainly worth the time to experiment.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest