Professional Web Applications Themes

DEinstalling on OSX - Mac Programming

Hi, is there a good way of deinstalling packages installed by the installer from .pkgs? Can the "receipt" .pkgs be of any help to this? Or? Regards....

  1. #1

    Default DEinstalling on OSX

    Hi,

    is there a good way of deinstalling packages installed by the installer
    from .pkgs? Can the "receipt" .pkgs be of any help to this? Or?

    Regards.
    silverdr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DEinstalling on OSX

    In article <3ff973a7$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    No, no, and no. There is no uninstall capability with pkg-style
    installers.

    The receipts can tell you what was installed. However you can't just go
    and remove everything that was installed, because it's possible that the
    installer replaced existing files. If you just remove them, you won't
    have those files, which might be a problem.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    > No, no, and no. There is no uninstall capability with pkg-style
    > installers.
    >
    > The receipts can tell you what was installed. However you can't just go
    > and remove everything that was installed, because it's possible that the
    > installer replaced existing files. If you just remove them, you won't
    > have those files, which might be a problem.
    >[/ref]

    OK. I installed a package, which is broken. Thus I don't want to have it
    hanging forever on my harddrive wasting space, backup times and possibly
    other resources. Thus I want to uninstall the package. And I think the
    reason to do it is very clear: No broken software should pollute my machine.

    I do such things every now and then on my GNU/Linux and IRIX machines
    and it brings NO problems. Now I understand that the OSX doesn't have
    any mechanisms for NOT overwriting/replacing the existing files during
    install... :-( That's too bad as it means that it does the installations
    using the good, old windowz way: "no matter what you had there, I put my
    file being it newer, older, different or whatever" Not keeping track of
    this is simply unbelievable these days. Even microsoft already learned a
    bit on that.

    But let's try to forget about it and assume that it *didn't* replace
    anything but just installed something new, and maybe even in its own
    directory(ies). I want to find out WHAT and WHERE. Then I may decide IF
    and WHAT I want to remove if there are no automated mechanisms for that.

    Alright I found the Archive.bom in the receipt and I found the lsbom
    command already. I am on my best way to do what I want but, hey, I still
    just can't believe that I have to throw in some lines of my own
    scripting to actually perform this uninstall (after deciding what can be
    removed). I think they (OSX authors) made the "Receipts" concept for a
    reason, with all the information there.
    silverdr Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3ff9b8f3$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    They did; it's so that you can run Mac OS X's "repair permissions"
    maintenance.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    In article (Dans l'article) <3ff973a7$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote (écrivait):

    Desinstaller does this:
    http://krugazor.free.fr/software/desinstaller/

    Still, Tom's warning applies.

    Paul

    --
    Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.

    NewtonOS/NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
    FreeBSD/Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3ff9b8f3$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    Hard way: have a look at uninstall.pl in /Developer/. It basically looks
    at the developer tools reciepts and uses them to decide what to delete.

    Easy way: open the .pkg in the installer, then look under the File menu.
    There's an item in there called Show Files or something like that, and
    you can use that list however you like, say by feeding it to 'rm'.

    And, of course, by providing these hints, I am in no way responsible to
    any damage you may do to your computer as a result. :)
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Michael Ash wrote:

    > Hard way: have a look at uninstall.pl in /Developer/. It basically looks
    > at the developer tools reciepts and uses them to decide what to delete.
    >[/ref]

    OK. I did... after the actions. Learned that it does it in a similar way.

    The Installer didn't want to open it, saying it's a receipt. I trashed
    the original package earlier but (as I read somewhere) its bom could
    have been different from the receipt's bom for some reasons and the
    receipt's one is supposed to be the most valid one. Thus I fed the lsbom
    output (of the receipt's bom) into sed and further into a script file
    doing the rm. I manually edited it afterwards not to remove the bin and
    man dirs (sic!) and ran it with best hopes.

    Heh, yeah. This time it seemed to work but who knows what will happen
    tomorrow. I will know whom to blame then :-)

    Thank you, Michael.

    P.
    silverdr Guest

  8. #8

    Paul Guyot wrote:

    > Desinstaller does this:
    > http://krugazor.free.fr/software/desinstaller/
    >[/ref]

    Thanks for the link. That's more or less what I was looking for. I
    already removed the broken package but at least now I know that somebody
    did something better than my crude shell commands. And I learned
    something new today ;-)

    Yes. I know. I hoped that there is a built-in OS mechanism/tool for this
    but it seems to be lost in the woods with the package management yet. At
    least the important data is collected during the installs. This fact
    alone leaves the door open and gives the hope that it will be used one
    day in a more mature way.

    Cordially.

    P.
    silverdr Guest