Professional Web Applications Themes

Delete file = System Lock - Mac Applications & Software

When trying to delete file ³Quicken 2003² from my ibook running OSX 10.2. My system hangs? The permissions are set to 775, Iıve changes them many times, to 664 and 755 with the same result, system lockup. The permissions and owner and group seem to be correct also. Iıve also done a ³ps ex | grep Quicken 2003² to see if the system was using this file and that deletion would result in system lockup with no success. Iıve also tried to logout and login as root with the same result. Iıve tried both dragging the file to the trash ...

  1. #1

    Default Delete file = System Lock

    When trying to delete file ³Quicken 2003² from my ibook running OSX 10.2. My
    system hangs? The permissions are set to 775, Iıve changes them many times,
    to 664 and 755 with the same result, system lockup. The permissions and
    owner and group seem to be correct also. Iıve also done a ³ps ex | grep
    Quicken 2003² to see if the system was using this file and that deletion
    would result in system lockup with no success. Iıve also tried to logout and
    login as root with the same result. Iıve tried both dragging the file to the
    trash and empting the trash, and deleting the file manually in a shell ³rm
    rf FILENAME² with no success. Iıve never encountered this problem with any
    UNIX system Iıve used in the past (IRIX, Solaris, BSD and Linux). I havenıt
    tried to reboot my computer into a lower run level, because I do not know if
    one exists, and if so pardon my ignorance. I did notice however that when an
    item is moved to the ³trash² its not really in the ³trash². For example
    (this maybe only my freak system, since I have not tried this on any other
    system) in iTunes, have it set to not import songs into its library, rather
    play an mp3 from any location on your hard disk. Now move that mp3 to the
    trash, you will find that you can continue playing that song even though it
    is in the trash, and will only remove the song from iTunes once you empty
    the trash, doesnıt seem right does it? Or is it just me? This would be great
    in the real world however, if you were to throw away an important doent
    you can still gain access to it without sticking your hand in yesterdayıs
    pasta =).

    Stumped User,
    Jason Matozzo

    Jason Matozzo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Delete file = System Lock

    Jason Matozzo wrote:
    > When trying to delete file “Quicken 2003” from my ibook running OSX
    > 10.2. My system hangs? The permissions are set to 775, I’ve changes them
    > many times, to 664 and 755 with the same result, system lockup. The
    > Stumped User,
    > Jason Matozzo
    What sort of 'hang' Does it just lock up, or do you get that white
    square asking you to re-start?

    I ask because I have a collection of files (resulting from crashes
    Classic) which I can't delete without getting that white square.

    Thom

    Thom White Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BB217E6B.242F%JasonMatozzo.com>,
    Jason Matozzo <JasonMatozzo.com> wrote:
    >When trying to delete file ³Quicken 2003² from my ibook running OSX 10.2. My
    >system hangs? The permissions are set to 775, Iıve changes them many times,
    >to 664 and 755 with the same result, system lockup. The permissions and
    >owner and group seem to be correct also. Iıve also done a ³ps ex | grep
    >Quicken 2003² to see if the system was using this file and that deletion
    >would result in system lockup with no success. Iıve also tried to logout and
    >login as root with the same result. Iıve tried both dragging the file to the
    >trash and empting the trash, and deleting the file manually in a shell ³rm
    >rf FILENAME² with no success. Iıve never encountered this problem with any
    >UNIX system Iıve used in the past (IRIX, Solaris, BSD and Linux). I havenıt
    >tried to reboot my computer into a lower run level, because I do not know if
    >one exists, and if so pardon my ignorance. I did notice however that when an
    >item is moved to the ³trash² its not really in the ³trash². For example
    >(this maybe only my freak system, since I have not tried this on any other
    >system) in iTunes, have it set to not import songs into its library, rather
    >play an mp3 from any location on your hard disk. Now move that mp3 to the
    >trash, you will find that you can continue playing that song even though it
    >is in the trash, and will only remove the song from iTunes once you empty
    >the trash, doesnıt seem right does it? Or is it just me? This would be great
    >in the real world however, if you were to throw away an important doent
    >you can still gain access to it without sticking your hand in yesterdayıs
    >pasta =).
    >
    >Stumped User,
    >Jason Matozzo
    Try running fsck from a single user mode bootup.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  4. #4

    On 6/27/03 5:14 AM, in article bdh1ue$suufl$1ID-151657.news.dfncis.de,
    "Thom White" <thomsofthome.net> wrote:
    > Jason Matozzo wrote:
    >
    >> When trying to delete file ³Quicken 2003² from my ibook running OSX
    >> 10.2. My system hangs? The permissions are set to 775, Iıve changes them
    >> many times, to 664 and 755 with the same result, system lockup. The
    >
    >> Stumped User,
    >> Jason Matozzo
    >
    > What sort of 'hang' Does it just lock up, or do you get that white
    > square asking you to re-start?
    >
    > I ask because I have a collection of files (resulting from crashes
    > Classic) which I can't delete without getting that white square.
    >
    > Thom

    The systems freezes, no white square. Apple+option+esc does not work either.

    Jason Matozzo

    Jason Matozzo Guest

  5. #5

    Jason Matozzo <JasonMatozzo.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    [...]
    > How does on enter single user mode on a Mac?
    Hold the "s" key while booting.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  6. #6

    On 6/27/03 7:55 AM, in article bdhbc4$rj3$2mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE, "Anno
    Siegel" <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
    > Jason Matozzo <JasonMatozzo.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> How does on enter single user mode on a Mac?
    >
    > Hold the "s" key while booting.
    >
    > Anno
    Worked like a charm, I enterd single user mode and deleted the file in a
    shell using "rm -rf" (because it was in a directory)

    Thanx
    Jason Matozzo

    Jason Matozzo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <BB217E6B.242F%JasonMatozzo.com>,
    Jason Matozzo <JasonMatozzo.com> wrote:
    >When trying to delete file ³Quicken 2003² from my ibook running OSX 10.2. My
    >system hangs?
    Hangs, or crashes?

    My desktop mac got into a state where there was a file I couldn't delete,
    and it got better when I got them to replace the processor module.

    -s
    --
    Copyright 2003, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / [email]seebsplethora.net[/email]
    [url]http://www.seebs.net/log/[/url] - YA blog. [url]http://www.seebs.net/[/url] - homepage.