Professional Web Applications Themes

deleted system folder - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, A friend of mine has a imac. Her mom by mistake somehow deleted the system folder. Now the computer won't reconize the hdd so she can't restore the system. She says when the computer boots, theres a folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60 canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card, and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do. Her system is a G3 iMac running OS 9.2 and ...

  1. #1

    Default deleted system folder

    Hello,

    A friend of mine has a imac. Her mom by mistake somehow deleted the
    system folder. Now the computer won't reconize the hdd so she can't
    restore the system. She says when the computer boots, theres a
    folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60
    canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card,
    and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do.
    Her system is a G3 iMac running OS 9.2 and the hard drive is a 7 G
    ATA. Thanks for any help rendered.

    -cnaw
    renwok Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: deleted system folder

    In article <84b4e9dc.0307112207.480cd9b2posting.google.com >,
    [email]cnawexcite.com[/email] (renwok) wrote:
    > She says when the computer boots, theres a
    > folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    > the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60
    > canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card,
    > and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do.
    Even in Canadian funds, that's ridiculous. All you have to do is pop in
    the install CD and reinstall the system. Or if the deleted System
    folder is still in the trash, start up from the CD and restore it to
    where it should be.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Aviation software for Mac OS X!

  3. #3

    renwok <cnawexcite.com> wrote:
    > A friend of mine has a imac. Her mom by mistake somehow deleted the
    > system folder. Now the computer won't reconize the hdd so she can't
    > restore the system. She says when the computer boots, theres a
    > folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    > the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60
    > canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card,
    > and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do.
    > Her system is a G3 iMac running OS 9.2 and the hard drive is a 7 G
    > ATA. Thanks for any help rendered.
    Does the friend have the System Install CD that came with the iMac? If
    so, all she needs to do is start up the machine from that CD by pressing
    and holding the C key while it's starting up, then drag the System
    Folder from the trash.

    I'm wondering about a shop that won't accept cash. They actually _want_
    to pay the credit card fees?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  4. #4

    Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote in message news:<newsgroups-55C803.00214412072003netnews.attbi.com>...
    > In article <84b4e9dc.0307112207.480cd9b2posting.google.com >,
    > [email]cnawexcite.com[/email] (renwok) wrote:
    >
    > > She says when the computer boots, theres a
    > > folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    > > the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60
    > > canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card,
    > > and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do.
    >
    > Even in Canadian funds, that's ridiculous. All you have to do is pop in
    > the install CD and reinstall the system. Or if the deleted System
    > folder is still in the trash, start up from the CD and restore it to
    > where it should be.
    Which would be easy, but when she does that, the "computer will not
    register her HD" she says. Thats what i find slightly confusing. Why
    would deleting the system folder do that?
    renwok Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fxzg25.1lwr3zo11be6gcN%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> ,
    [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
    > I'm wondering about a shop that won't accept cash. They actually _want_
    > to pay the credit card fees?
    It's not that uncommon. Some places have no place to store cash and the
    practice also eliminates a whole host of potential problems with lost
    receipts, "missing" funds and he-said:she-said disputes.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller Guest

  6. #6

    In article <84b4e9dc.0307112207.480cd9b2posting.google.com >, renwok
    <cnawexcite.com> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A friend of mine has a imac. Her mom by mistake somehow deleted the
    > system folder. Now the computer won't reconize the hdd so she can't
    > restore the system. She says when the computer boots, theres a
    > folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    > the mac face. The local computer shop wants to charge her $60
    > canadian to fix it, and the won't take cash/check. Only credit card,
    > and she doesn't have one. So i'm looking for pointers on what to do.
    > Her system is a G3 iMac running OS 9.2 and the hard drive is a 7 G
    > ATA. Thanks for any help rendered.
    Reinstall the system from the CD that came with the computer.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  7. #7

    >Which would be easy, but when she does that, the "computer will not
    >register her HD" she says. Thats what i find slightly confusing. Why
    >would deleting the system folder do that?
    I have no idea what "won't register the hard drive" means, so I'm shooting in
    the dark here:

    Most likely, she has done something wrong--either she doesn't know how to
    reinstall the system, or she did more than just delete the system folder. Tell
    her to run Drive Setup; if the hard drive will not mount, she may have to
    reformat it.

    If Drive Setup does not show the hard drive, then the problem is simpler: The
    hard drive may have failed.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  8. #8

    In <84b4e9dc.0307112207.480cd9b2posting.google.com >
    renwok <cnawexcite.com> wrote:
    > She says when the computer boots, theres a
    > folder with the mac face that changes to a question mark then back to
    > the mac face.
    [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042[/url]

    J.
    Jennifer Mullen Guest

  9. #9

    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 8:21:44 +0100, Larry Fransson wrote:
    > [/ref]

    Don't pay em. That is a complete rip-off, for a very simple thing to fix.

    All that has happened is that the computer cannot boot from the hard disk
    because the System Folder cannot be found (probably in the trashcan).
    This can also happen if the System file is corrupted, in which case you will
    have to reinstall the OS.

    You DO have the System disk that came with the Mac?

    ....which is on the internal hard disk, and NOT in another folder.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest