Professional Web Applications Themes

deleting cache files - Mac Applications & Software

I started to do a software update for the OS 10.2.6 comobo updater and then aborted when I realized it was going to take five hours. Have to wait until I have five hours to do it. Now I see there's a file in Library/Cache/ called "MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.6.tar." It's nested within several folders with numbers instead of names. There's a similar file for an aborted download of the iPhoto2 update. I presume these are remnants from the update attempts. Can I safely delete these files? If so, how high up the chain of folders can I delete? There are two folders ...

  1. #1

    Default deleting cache files

    I started to do a software update for the OS 10.2.6 comobo updater
    and then aborted when I realized it was going to take five hours. Have
    to wait until I have five hours to do it.
    Now I see there's a file in Library/Cache/ called
    "MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.6.tar." It's nested within several folders with
    numbers instead of names. There's a similar file for an aborted download
    of the iPhoto2 update.
    I presume these are remnants from the update attempts. Can I safely
    delete these files?
    If so, how high up the chain of folders can I delete? There are two
    folders right under "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate" that have names like
    "a1008.g.akamai.net" (one each for 10.2.6 and iPhoto). Would that be the
    place to start tossing?
    I also recently downloaded a program called Cache-Out X that
    empties various caches. Does anyone have experience with this program?
    Is it safe to use?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: deleting cache files

    In article <hDV4b.7057$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    If I was going to start pruning, yeah, I'd probably take things out at
    the .*\.akamai\..* level.

    BUT!!!!!!

    I have no clue whether or not the Update engine in X is capable of
    resuming aborted downloads. If it is, you don't really want to delete
    'em - Unless you want to start the download from scratch. If it isn't
    "resume savvy", I imagine it will either figure out how to cope with the
    duplicate name, or scream for operator intervention.

    Leastwise, 9.1 got about 3/4 through doing an update for me this
    morning, when the connection dropped out from under it. It hollered for
    help, so I reconnected and told it to try again. It did, without making
    another peep about anything until it finished and asked me for the OK to
    restart. Once the machine came back up, everything worked, And there
    were no visible 'turds' left behind. Presumably it installed a one-shot
    cleanup-at-startup type script.

    If X works the same, then I'd say it's probably one of those "six of
    one, half a dozen of the other" things as to whether you leave 'em or
    not.

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  3. #3

    In article <BDY4b.17497$sonic.net>,
    Don Bruder <net> wrote:

    > If I was going to start pruning, yeah, I'd probably take things out at
    > the .*\.akamai\..* level.
    >
    > BUT!!!!!!
    >
    > I have no clue whether or not the Update engine in X is capable of
    > resuming aborted downloads. If it is, you don't really want to delete
    > 'em -[/ref]

    I aborted the downloads pretty quickly, so there isn't much there.
    In any event, I've decided not to go the Software Update route because I
    have two machines to update. I don't want to do two 5-hour downloads and
    I also want to keep a useable copy of the update on a CD. So I decided
    that when I have the time, I'll download the stand-alone update file.
    So I will toss these files.
    I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who's used
    Cache-Out.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  4. #4

    In article <Bc35b.851$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    You do have the option to save the downloads to the Desktop when using
    Software Update. It's under one of the menus after you select the
    software you want to update. This will allow you to install it on more
    than one computer and also be able to archive it for future use.

    I still like using iCab for the downloads via the web. iCab has a
    fantastic Download Manager that will allow you to resume downloads very
    easily (server permitting).

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  5. #5

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > You do have the option to save the downloads to the Desktop when using
    > Software Update. It's under one of the menus after you select the
    > software you want to update. This will allow you to install it on more
    > than one computer and also be able to archive it for future use.[/ref]

    Thanks, that's useful to know. I probably will do it this way.
    I haven't used Software Update much and never for such a huge file.
    What happens if the connection gets broken in the middle? Will I be left
    with an unusable system? One would think SU would protect against such a
    thing but I don't want to make assumptions and get into trouble.

    Do you know offhand whether Safari will resume a download?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, dotlyc wrote:

    > Thanks, that's useful to know. I probably will do it this way.
    > I haven't used Software Update much and never for such a huge file.
    > What happens if the connection gets broken in the middle? Will I be left
    > with an unusable system? One would think SU would protect against such a
    > thing but I don't want to make assumptions and get into trouble.[/ref]
    It downloads the files first and then installs them. If your connection is
    dropped while it's downloading, then you need to do it all again, if it
    drops while it's installing then it's irrelevant.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  7. #7

    In article <8Oo5b.8350$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    To the best of my knowledge, Software Update downloads the entire file
    before it and then installs the software. I don't believe that there
    would be any installation before the full download is completed. So,
    no, you will not be left with an unstable system.

    I believe that Software Update stores the download in a temporary file
    until it is done installing the software and then "cleans up" after
    itself and deletes the downloaded file.

    I have used SU only twice. Once I had it just install the software.
    The other time I saved the file to the Desktop. Both downloads were
    uninterrupted so I don't know if SU can resume downloads. All other
    updates have been grabbed using iCab.

    Just gave Safari a whirl at attempting to resume a download from Apple.
    All I could get it to do is to start at the beginning. It did not
    recognize the partially downloaded file and try to resume the download.

  8. #8

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > To the best of my knowledge, Software Update downloads the entire file
    > before it and then installs the software. I don't believe that there
    > would be any installation before the full download is completed. So,
    > no, you will not be left with an unstable system.[/ref]

    Thanks. It would seem, then, that there's no real difference
    between doing SU with an instruction to save the downloaded file and
    just downloading the stand-alone file -- other than the automatic launch
    of the upgrade process at the end of the download.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest