Professional Web Applications Themes

Deleting from mail.app without selecting mail? - Mac Applications & Software

In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>, Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote: > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in > the dark about my email address being "live." > > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images? There's a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Deleting from mail.app without selecting mail?

    In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes
    > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're
    > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a
    > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in
    > the dark about my email address being "live."
    >
    > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on
    > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images?
    There's a pref that tells Mail not to retrieve embedded elements in HTML
    messages. If you don't typically receive legit mail as HTML, you can
    just turn that off.
    Gregory Weston Guest

  2. #2

    In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes
    > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're
    > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a
    > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in
    > the dark about my email address being "live."
    >
    > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on
    > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images?
    The only way to do this seems to be to select multiple messages. The
    junk filter comes in handy; I scan the titles in the junk folder, and
    almost always just select all and delete.

    But, you could also turn off loading of images in Mail's preferences.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes
    > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're
    > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a
    > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in
    > the dark about my email address being "live."
    >
    > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on
    > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images?
    You could close the preview pane. Then you'd have to double click on
    messages to open them, but you'd also be able to highlight and delete
    messages without ever opening them.
    Moe Szyslak Guest

  4. #4

    Two people wrote, in pertinent part:
    > There's a pref that tells Mail not to retrieve embedded elements in HTML
    > messages. If you don't typically receive legit mail as HTML, you can
    > just turn that off.
    and
    > But, you could also turn off loading of images in Mail's preferences.
    Hmm.... That box is already de-selected in my prefs. I'm going to guess
    that what I've been assuming is an image is a very nicely formatted and
    colored HTML page. Hmmm.... I'll have to see what kind of junk mail I get
    overnight and save it for viewing in Mail.

    Thanks, guys.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes
    > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're
    > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a
    > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in
    > the dark about my email address being "live."
    >
    > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on
    > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images?
    1. Enable the junk mail filter
    2. disable the preview pane

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  6. #6

    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> writes:
    > Hmm.... That box is already de-selected in my prefs. I'm going to guess
    > that what I've been assuming is an image is a very nicely formatted and
    > colored HTML page. Hmmm.... I'll have to see what kind of junk mail I get
    > overnight and save it for viewing in Mail.
    Okay, as I said, I normally read email in mutt, a text-based reader which
    shows only text (and if it's a marked up email, the source). So today
    instead of deleting all the opportunities to add inches to my package and
    to increase my cub size, I left them for download into mail.

    Sure enough, I'm being fooled by tables and layouts with colored text and
    backgrounds. Some of the emails had gifs and jpgs which were not displayed
    in accordance with my prefs. Not having seen full-n (er, uh, no pun
    intended) marked up email before, I had thought the layout was done with
    images of text.

    Mail's junk mail filter identified all the junk mail but one as junk, so I
    think it's time to take off the training wheels and start filtering for
    real. What do you people do with mail that the app IDs as junk? Send it to
    a certain folder somewhere? Any suggestions?

  7. #7

    In article <3qisq0bny3.fsfshell4.tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > I occasionally read mail with Apple's Mail.app. Much of the spam includes
    > images, and I'm sure they have invisible Web warts or whatever they're
    > called which tell them when I've read the email. Generally, I use a
    > text-based email program on Linux, so no images are opened, keeping them in
    > the dark about my email address being "live."
    >
    > Is there any way in Mail to delete email that is obviously spam based on
    > the title without highlighting it and therefore loading the images?
    In addition to the other solutions, you can also drag a message to the
    junk mail folder manually. Mail does not open the dragged message.
    Personally, I prefer to turn off html rendering.
    jemmy ducks Guest

  8. #8

    In article <3qn0fb7qj6.fsfshell4.tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <phil_striplingcieux.zzn.com> wrote:
    > Mail's junk mail filter identified all the junk mail but one as junk, so I
    > think it's time to take off the training wheels and start filtering for
    > real. What do you people do with mail that the app IDs as junk? Send it to
    > a certain folder somewhere? Any suggestions?
    When you take the junk filter out of training mode, Mail will create a
    new folder called Junk and move any filtered messages to it
    automatically. I've found this to be quite sufficient, though it can be
    customized via filter prefs if you like.