Professional Web Applications Themes

Deleting records against a list - FileMaker

Let's say I have a database of 10,000 contacts. I send email out to them all and 200 of them bounce back. I collect those 200 bounces and p them down to a small database of one field and 200 records (email addresses). So I have CONTACTS and BOUNCES. I want to tell FileMaker to use BOUNCES as the guide for finding the bad records in CONTACTS, at which point I can either remove the entry in the email field of that record or delete the entire record. I'm sure there is some clever relationship/lookup/script/all of those things that can ...

  1. #1

    Default Deleting records against a list

    Let's say I have a database of 10,000 contacts. I send email out to
    them all and 200 of them bounce back. I collect those 200 bounces and
    p them down to a small database of one field and 200 records
    (email addresses). So I have CONTACTS and BOUNCES.

    I want to tell FileMaker to use BOUNCES as the guide for finding the
    bad records in CONTACTS, at which point I can either remove the entry
    in the email field of that record or delete the entire record.

    I'm sure there is some clever relationship/lookup/script/all of those
    things that can be done here. Does anyone know...?

    --
    Rick Altman
    The PowerPoint Live User Conference

    Rick Altman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Deleting records against a list

    one approach would be to create a rel from Bounce to Contacts using the
    email address as the key.
    create a simple number field in Contacts, called Marked (or Bounced),
    and index it
    create a script in Bounce to loop through all records, and set the
    related Marked field to 1
    you can then find for this value or use a separate constant field (1) to
    Marked relationship and a goto to related/show only

    If the length of the email address presents complications due to its
    length (due indexing... ?). , create a calc field to break it into (20)
    character segments (?)

    Another approach would be to create a rel from Contacts to Bounce and
    use a calc to count for a match. the rel could be address:: address as
    above or
    The rel could be a constant:: constant, and then create a script to
    loop through all (10000) records and use a patternMatch text function to
    tag records.

    Chris Brown
    Neurosurgery
    University of Adelaide

    Rick Altman wrote:
    > Let's say I have a database of 10,000 contacts. I send email out to
    > them all and 200 of them bounce back. I collect those 200 bounces and
    > p them down to a small database of one field and 200 records
    > (email addresses). So I have CONTACTS and BOUNCES.
    >
    > I want to tell FileMaker to use BOUNCES as the guide for finding the
    > bad records in CONTACTS, at which point I can either remove the entry
    > in the email field of that record or delete the entire record.
    >
    > I'm sure there is some clever relationship/lookup/script/all of those
    > things that can be done here. Does anyone know...?
    >
    > --
    > Rick Altman
    > The PowerPoint Live User Conference
    > October 12-15, 2003 | Tucson AZ
    > [url]http://www.pptlive.com[/url]
    Chris Brown Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the assist, Chris. I think I found an easier approach,
    thanks to your pointing me in the right direction about creating the
    relationship. Upon creating the relationship in reverse of my
    intuition -- using Bounce as the master and Contacts as the related --
    it was then just a matter of allowing the master to delete related
    records. I simply deleted all records in Bounce, and Contacts was
    instantly cleaned up.

    I'll be using this little trick a lot...

    Rick

    Rick Altman wrote:
    > Let's say I have a database of 10,000 contacts. I send email out to
    > them all and 200 of them bounce back. I collect those 200 bounces
    and
    > p them down to a small database of one field and 200 records
    > (email addresses). So I have CONTACTS and BOUNCES.
    >
    > I want to tell FileMaker to use BOUNCES as the guide for finding the
    > bad records in CONTACTS, at which point I can either remove the
    entry
    > in the email field of that record or delete the entire record.
    >
    > I'm sure there is some clever relationship/lookup/script/all of
    those
    > things that can be done here. Does anyone know...?
    >
    > --
    > Rick Altman
    > The PowerPoint Live User Conference
    > October 12-15, 2003 | Tucson AZ