Professional Web Applications Themes

deleting whats "under" part of the artwork - Adobe Illustrator Windows

am very new to illustrator and am using the 9 version I have opened a logo from a company of a smaller blue square with a larger red square behind it. If i click hide the blue square its a pure red box. how do i make it so that when i hide the blue box its a red box with a transparent area where the hidden blue box sits? im sorry if im not very specific, but i dont know the proper terminology. thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default deleting whats "under" part of the artwork

    packfan88@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: deleting whats "under" part of the artwork

    pack:

    In Illustrator each of your squares is a separate object, one on top of the other. If you wish to cut a square out of the red one that is the size of the blue one, then put the blue one on top, select both, and make a compound path. Save a copy of the blue one if you will need it later. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ... and make a compound path ...

    Or subtract from shape area.

    Or put the blue one into the back and use Minus Back.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Or make an opacity mask.
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    compound path worked like a charm. thanks

    another question.

    How would i center on box inside of another?
    using the same example or a red/blue box, how do i ensure the box in the front is centered "inside" the box in the back?

    also, how about a center line down the page to work from? I must be missing it, but im gonna go look again now. Is there a way to click something and have a guide down the middle of an 8.5x11 artboard? I know i could click
    view>guides>make new
    but i was hoping the computer could do it for me :)
    packfan88@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Packfan:

    To center two objects on each other, select both and click the Horizontal Align Center, and the Vertical Align Center buttons on the Align palette. To center something (line, guide) on the artboard use the Align palette drop down menu and select Align to Artboard, then select you object and use the center align buttons. This is all pretty basic stuff, are you working with the manual? steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    no i dont have a manual, i guess ill get one. the one way ive learned so far is practice and via forums. photshop has a lot of places to learn, but illy is a bit more limited.

    thanks for your help.
    packfan88@adobeforums.com Guest