Professional Web Applications Themes

Dell PC wanted "equivalent" to Powerbook - Mac Applications & Software

In article <bluewin.ch>, Marc Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote:   You've got to be kidding. This is about the worst possible place to ask questions about Dell CPUs and Windows XP. Try asking in some other newsgroup where people might care about the answer. -- Tom "Tom" Harrington Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X. Version 1.4: Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss. See http://www.atomicbird.com/...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Dell PC wanted "equivalent" to Powerbook

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  2. #2

    Marc Heusser:
    Tell him that the is no Dell at any price equivalent to a Powerbook.

    No. OS X is, though.

    The built-in PowerBook graphics cards are excellent.

    Seriously, it doesn't sound like he is running any software that
    "requires" a PeeCee; as a Mac consultant myself, I tell such clients to
    get a Mac or get a new consultant. Some do the former, some the latter.
    Either way is fine with me!

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    Go for Pentium IV M series (optimised for notebooks). 1.6Gz should be fine.
    Try to 256 and above. Vanilla flavour graphics card will also do fine, so
    whatever Dell sets as stock should be fine. XP Home is good enough. XP home
    is same as XP pro, except some enterprise networking components removed (=
    good enough for home networking, but lower support for enterprise quality
    protocols and not sure if supports server controlled domains). If you don't
    understand this, XP Home is good enough.

    Smaller screen uses less battery life and can optimise for longer battery by
    clicking on the battery icon on the taskbar and select "max battery option",
    clocks down cpu, so system runs slower and saves battery. You can also buy a
    spare battery to make it last longer and plug it into expansion bay (used
    also for removable DVD/CD drives).

    Check the Dell site as they change specs frequently. Also PC laptops come in
    several varieties, road warrior (for exec types, minimal functionality but
    light for road, use for presentations, notes etc and desktop at home),
    middle ground described above and desktop replacement, cheapest and most
    powerful. For people who want a laptop, but don't take it traveling. I mean
    like when you finish working, you can remove it from the desk and free up
    space. Those have large monitors, desktop processors, are heavy and bulky
    and have low battery life, but give you best bang for your buck.

    Hope this helps..

    Cheers,

    Vlad

    P.S. Not to insult anyone, I use MACOS9, X, Linux and Windows.

    rc Heusser" <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote in
    message news:bluewin.ch...

    Vladimir Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dell PC wanted "equivalent" to Powerbook - answered

    In article <3f27af7c$unimelb.edu.au>,
    "Vladimir Grubor" <vladimirgrubor<nospam>hotmail.com> wrote:

    THANK you so much, Vladimir - that's exactly what I wanted to know.
    (Have been using Unix, Windows and Macs, and started out as an
    electronics engineer)

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  5. #5

    You welcome. :)
    "Marc Heusser" <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote
    in message news:bluewin.ch... [/ref]
    fine. [/ref]
    so [/ref]
    come in [/ref]
    but

    > THANK you so much, Vladimir - that's exactly what I wanted to know.
    > (Have been using Unix, Windows and Macs, and started out as an
    > electronics engineer)
    >
    > Marc
    >
    > --
    > Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    > Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
    > http://www.heusser.com
    > remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address
    > to reply via e-mail[/ref]

    Vladimir Guest