Professional Web Applications Themes

Demand for a program that'll fix invalid file creation dates? - Mac Applications & Software

Some time ago, I had a dead battery in one of my iMacs, which caused the system clock to become y. As it happens, I did a major overhaul to my Web site that day, and so ended up with almost a hundred files with invalid creation dates. That's a significant annoyance, because I upload files to my Web site by date, and it becomes difficult to synchronize everything when the file dates are wrong. On my way back from a business trip in New york on Wednesday, i was bored on the plane, so i wrote an application which ...

  1. #1

    Default Demand for a program that'll fix invalid file creation dates?

    Some time ago, I had a dead battery in one of my iMacs, which caused the system
    clock to become y. As it happens, I did a major overhaul to my Web site
    that day, and so ended up with almost a hundred files with invalid creation
    dates.

    That's a significant annoyance, because I upload files to my Web site by date,
    and it becomes difficult to synchronize everything when the file dates are
    wrong.

    On my way back from a business trip in New york on Wednesday, i was bored on
    the plane, so i wrote an application which will scan a folder searching for
    files with bad dates, and fix the dates.

    I'm considering releasing it as freeware, but it has some rough edges I need to
    clean up first. So: is it worthwhile? Is this a common problem? If nobody'll
    use it, i don't really want to clean it up and post it on my Web site--but if
    it'll be beneficial to people, I'll go ahead and do it.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  2. #2

    In article <20030725163511.09785.00000390mb-m11.aol.com>,
    [email]tacitraol.com[/email] (Tacit) wrote:
    > On my way back from a business trip in New york on Wednesday, i was bored on
    > the plane, so i wrote an application which will scan a folder searching for
    > files with bad dates, and fix the dates.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you set the dates to?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    >Just out of curiosity, what do you set the dates to?

    The current system date and time--not perfect, but better than "January 1,
    1904" or "September 23, 2038". :)

  4. #4

    Tacit wrote:
    > I'm considering releasing it as freeware, but it has some rough edges I need to
    > clean up first. So: is it worthwhile? Is this a common problem?
    I've seen it occasionally
    .....but.....
    doesn't Diskwarrior fix bad dates?
    George Williams Guest

  5. #5

    Guest

  6. #6

    >- - I guess a GUI is okay, but this is a trivial problem to fix
    > with two standard unix command line tools ( find and
    > /bin/touch).
    True, if you're using OS X. I was using OS 9 at the time. :)

  7. #7

    >I've seen it occasionally
    >....but.....
    >doesn't Diskwarrior fix bad dates?
    Diskwarrior and Norton Utilities both...but they're both commercial, and DW
    requires you to boot from a different volume.

    FWIW, my program is very,very fast; processing a thousand files takes less than
    a second.

  8. #8

    Tacit wrote:
    > FWIW, my program is very,very fast; processing a thousand files takes less than
    > a second.
    Then it would be a good idea to write it and distribute it,
    especially if you have some ftp or http space to store it
    for download.
    George Williams Guest

  9. #9

    George Williams wrote:
    > Tacit wrote:
    >

    >>FWIW, my program is very,very fast; processing a thousand files takes less than
    >>a second.
    >

    > Then it would be a good idea to write it and distribute it,
    > especially if you have some ftp or http space to store it
    > for download.
    I would love to get a copy , would it be able to monitor a folder..?

    mark hune Guest