Professional Web Applications Themes

Deploying a Db2 PL stored procedure on the production server - IBM DB2

We are setting up a DB2 (UDB 8.1) environment. I need some guidance to set up the development and deployment process. Lets say I have a development server A and a production server B. We do all the DB2 PL stored procedures development on the server A which is running windows 2000. Hence we have installed the Visual C++ complier to complie the stored procedures. Can I deploy/move those stored procedures from SERVER A to SERVER B with out recompiling it on server B. Our operations team is very much against installing a C/C++ complier on production SERVER B. How ...

  1. #1

    Default Deploying a Db2 PL stored procedure on the production server

    We are setting up a DB2 (UDB 8.1) environment.
    I need some guidance to set up the development and deployment process.

    Lets say I have a development server A and a production server B.

    We do all the DB2 PL stored procedures development on the server A
    which is running windows 2000.
    Hence we have installed the Visual C++ complier to complie the stored
    procedures.

    Can I deploy/move those stored procedures from SERVER A to SERVER B
    with out recompiling it on server B.

    Our operations team is very much against installing a C/C++ complier
    on production SERVER B.

    How do we go about doing this whereby we would be able to develop the
    stored procedures on server A
    and then deploy it on SERVER B.

    We do not have the option of using JAVA stored procedures.

    Any help in this matter is very well appreciated.

    Thanks
    -Soumil
    [email]soumilhotmail.com[/email]
    soumil Guest

  2. #2

    You can use the GETROUTINE/PUTROUTINE commands to deploy only the
    executables ... HOWEVER ... both source and target machines must be at the
    same os level and db2level.

    Larry Edelstein

    soumil wrote:
    > We are setting up a DB2 (UDB 8.1) environment.
    > I need some guidance to set up the development and deployment process.
    >
    > Lets say I have a development server A and a production server B.
    >
    > We do all the DB2 PL stored procedures development on the server A
    > which is running windows 2000.
    > Hence we have installed the Visual C++ complier to complie the stored
    > procedures.
    >
    > Can I deploy/move those stored procedures from SERVER A to SERVER B
    > with out recompiling it on server B.
    >
    > Our operations team is very much against installing a C/C++ complier
    > on production SERVER B.
    >
    > How do we go about doing this whereby we would be able to develop the
    > stored procedures on server A
    > and then deploy it on SERVER B.
    >
    > We do not have the option of using JAVA stored procedures.
    >
    > Any help in this matter is very well appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Soumil
    > [email]soumilhotmail.com[/email]
    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    Larry,

    Were the OS level and DB2 level requirements you mentioned added as of
    v8? With v7 on Win2k, I can use GET/PUT ROUTINE freely across DB2
    instances running at Fixpak 5 or greater.

    -- Scott Sobotka

    Larry wrote:
    >You can use the GETROUTINE/PUTROUTINE commands to deploy only the
    >executables ... HOWEVER ... both source and target machines must be at the
    >same os level and db2level.
    >
    >Larry Edelstein
    >
    >soumil wrote:
    >

    >>We are setting up a DB2 (UDB 8.1) environment.
    >>I need some guidance to set up the development and deployment process.
    >>
    >>Lets say I have a development server A and a production server B.
    >>
    >>We do all the DB2 PL stored procedures development on the server A
    >>which is running windows 2000.
    >>Hence we have installed the Visual C++ complier to complie the stored
    >>procedures.
    >>
    >>Can I deploy/move those stored procedures from SERVER A to SERVER B
    >>with out recompiling it on server B.
    >>
    >>Our operations team is very much against installing a C/C++ complier
    >>on production SERVER B.
    >>
    >>How do we go about doing this whereby we would be able to develop the
    >>stored procedures on server A
    >>and then deploy it on SERVER B.
    >>
    >>We do not have the option of using JAVA stored procedures.
    >>
    >>Any help in this matter is very well appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>-Soumil
    >>soumilhotmail.com

    Scott Sobotka Guest

  4. #4

    FWIW I'm not aware of such strict limitations.
    Given that DB2 zips up an executable it the OS better be byte-compatible.
    You definitely can ship across different FP levels and it could imagine it works from V7 to V8 as well.

    Cheers
    Serge

    PS: Isn't it nice of IE to warn me I'm sending HTML but not give me a choice to switch back to text????
    Serge Rielau Guest