Professional Web Applications Themes

Deploying Flash 9 MSI via GPO - Macromedia Flash Player

I'm deploying the Flash Player 9 Redistributable MSI via group policies in Active Directory to all our student machines. All these machines are running Windows XP SP2 and are formatted as FAT32. The deployment works well and under an administrator account will run the flash plugin when visiting a website which requires it. My problem is when a student with only 'domain user' privileges attempts to view a web page with flash content the plugin does not execute. I've contacted Adobe Tech Support but they say this is not a supported product and were unable to advise me any further. ...

  1. #1

    Default Deploying Flash 9 MSI via GPO

    I'm deploying the Flash Player 9 Redistributable MSI via group policies in
    Active Directory to all our student machines. All these machines are running
    Windows XP SP2 and are formatted as FAT32. The deployment works well and under
    an administrator account will run the flash plugin when visiting a website
    which requires it. My problem is when a student with only 'domain user'
    privileges attempts to view a web page with flash content the plugin does not
    execute.

    I've contacted Adobe Tech Support but they say this is not a supported product
    and were unable to advise me any further.

    I'm pretty sure this is a registry permission problem, i've added full control
    to domain users under the HKLM/Software/macromedia & HKCU/Software/Macromedia
    but this was not the solution.

    seasdale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Deploying Flash 9 MSI via GPO

    I am having the same problem but I did not install by AD/GPO but by Adobe
    website. Adobe player works fine as logged in as administrator. But when a
    Domain User is logged in adobe reader does not work.

    tchaffer Guest

  3. #3

    We're having the same issue. I can't believe they would write an msi that only works for administrator.
    cstring@the-center.org Guest

  4. #4

    We're having a similar problem here as well, we are pushing flash 9 with SMS
    and the installations appear to work just fine but our users cannot view flash
    content. The only way I've found to get it working is to log into each
    workstation as an admin and go to a flash oriented page and download/install
    the plugin when prompted. Not very practical for a school district (albeit a
    very small one) with ~200 workstations. Theoretically a redistributable
    installer should set up the browser for flash content for domain users, end of
    story.. too bad this doesnt seem to be true.

    ESUSD Guest

  5. #5

    A couple of things..

    1. Flash Player support is available via E-MAIL only at
    [url]www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer[/url]. There is no phone support for Flash Player.
    I wanted to make that clear.

    This includes support for individual installations as well as for holders of
    the Flash Player distribution license. Any organization installing via SMS or
    other distribution policy MUST obtain a license to distribute Flash Player (and
    that's how you get the MSI's.. I'm sure some of you have already done this..)

    2. Is everyone familiar with this technote: " Flash Player MSI installation
    will fail on machines that don't have administrative privileges."
    ([url]http://www.adobe.com/go/df875c9e[/url]). We have worked with a few customers,
    mostly SMS distributions for whom this didn't work. In that case please use the
    support form to open a web case via E-MAIL.

    Bentley Wolfe
    Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
    Adobe

    Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the heads up on this Bentley. While I was on the phone to the
    support tech he was adamant there was no support at all for Flash Player.
    Wether he wasn't aware of the email support I don't know but your message is
    comforting anyway.

    The solution you point to is fairly straight forward enough...hope it works on
    FP9. I will try it out when I get back to the office on Monday.

    Thanks again.

    seasdale Guest

  7. #7

    Question for seasdale:

    You stated that you successfully deployed flash9 through AD GPO? That's what I
    need to do, but my users aren't allowed admin rights on their PCs, and when I
    published the GPO to them and they go to install it, it fails saying admin
    rights are needed, and I've come across reading that confirms it needs admin
    rights for the install. But I would have thought using the gpo setting 'install
    with elevated privileges' would have allowed it to install? How did you manage
    it? Do your users have admin rights or something?

    Thanks in advance

    Nat1984 Guest

  8. #8

    If I understand your question correctly your deploying Flash as a user policy yes? You could try deploying this as a computer policy thereby using the system account to install the software.
    seasdale Guest

  9. #9

    please get this issue flash player working. i am an administator and cannot obtain a functional player.
    cohrt Guest

  10. #10

    This is ridiculous, No sys admin would ever give the users admin privileges.
    Then to find out that Flash 9 requires a license to deploy a special MSI, but
    the user still needs admin privileges is crazy.

    Flash was doing just fine until Adobe decided to mess with it, gotta make a
    buck where ever you can I guess.

    Will adobe be fixing this issue??

    zarrow007 Guest

  11. #11

    Zarrow I think from reading your post you are assuming because you need a
    licence you need to pay for it. This is not the case, the licence is free of
    charge. You need to apply for the licence because of the terms and conditions
    of use surrounding the flash player. You accept their licence when you install
    it on a single machine via their website.

    Just to update, we got this fixed a wee while back by installing the software
    with elevated privileges like this:

    Computer Configuration (Enabled)
    Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX

    Administrative Templateshide
    Windows Components/Windows Installerhide
    Policy Setting
    Always install with elevated privileges Enabled

    This setting must be set for the machine and the user to be enforced.

    Hope this helps.

    seasdale Guest

  12. #12

    .... Just for reference, I've downloaded the MSI, loaded it in the DFS volume,
    and configured the groups as described, configured the evelated privileges, but
    still doesnt work.

    Without flash, we cannot trade with one of our suppliers.

    Has anyone got this to work yet ?

    MrExie Guest

  13. #13

    I also am having this problem. I signed up and agreed to the license and
    downloaded the Adobe Flash Player 9 plugin and it will not install through
    active directory, even when the correct group policies are applied. I have
    successfully installed dozens of other .msi and .zap so I know that it is not
    my group policy settings. Any updates??

    kenplaysviola Guest

  14. #14

    another solution could be:
    install a fresh computer, basic install without flashplayer
    install installshield admin studio or similar
    start listening admin studio
    install flash player 'redist' in interactive mode
    stop listening admin studio
    rebuild a package whith a build in quiet option.

    haven't test it but should work.

    scsixt Guest