Professional Web Applications Themes

deploying my asp.net app - ASP.NET General

Try recompiling the app? Since an ASP.NET is it's own app - it should be it's own IIS "application" and if you're using the FPSE then create a frontpage web for the app too.. otherwise, it's going to try to run - but there is a global.asa in the root - and it gets all confused. You need to isolate the app the way it was in it's original home.. "gb" <com> wrote in message news:phx.gbl... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: deploying my asp.net app

    Try recompiling the app? Since an ASP.NET is it's own app - it should be
    it's own IIS "application" and if you're using the FPSE then create a
    frontpage web for the app too.. otherwise, it's going to try to run - but
    there is a global.asa in the root - and it gets all confused. You need to
    isolate the app the way it was in it's original home..

    "gb" <com> wrote in message

    Frank Guest

  2. #2

    Frank, thanks for the quick reply but I have some questions:
    Do you mean I should recompile the app using vs.net on the web server or
    just recompile it again on my dev box and copy it again?

    FPSE? Front Page Something Edition? I don't know how to create a frontpage
    app for my asp.net app but I hope you could give me a clue.

    As far as I can see the app is isolated in a directory under wwwroot just
    like it was on the dev box (I plan to put it into a frontpage web however as
    soon as I get this working.

    TIA for the help,
    GB

    "Frank Drebin" <com> wrote in message
    news:iqy1b.30275$news.prodigy.com... [/ref]
    works

    >[/ref]

    gb Guest

  3. #3

    FPSE = Front Page Server Extensions
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=5cc0a845-1884-4a16-a8cb-25d2f0815fa3
    (careful of line-wrap) - but I'll get back to this in a minute...

    Within IIS, you can have one "root" (like \inetpub\wwwroot) and have
    unlimited directories under it. Like \Finance\ or \Budget\ - but these would
    be considered the same IIS 'application'. They share the same memory space,
    they share the same "application" and "session" workspace. When it comes to
    ASP.NET, that is it's own application.

    In ASP and ASP.NET - when you manually create a new directory - like
    \Purchasing\ - it's just another directory in the "root" web/application.
    Instead, you want to create a seperate IIS 'application'. You can do this a
    couple of ways:

    - Go into IIS and create a "Virtual Directory" for "Purchasing", then
    right-click on Purchasing and do Properties.. on the Directory tab, next to
    "Application Name" - click "Create"

    - Manually create the "Purchasing" directory, and then right-click on
    Purchasing and do Properties.. on the Directory tab, next to "Application
    Name" - click "Create"

    - If you are using VisualInterdev (for ASP) or VisualStudio.NET (for
    ASP.NET) - they typically connect via FPSE and do this automagically for
    you, and also establish a new Frontpage "web"

    Now - FPSE is simply an add-on for IIS that allows FP-compliant tools
    (Frontpage, Interdev, VS.NET) to publish content to a web server using port
    80 (the same port that the web server hosts your files). Without it, you'd
    have to FTP or file-copy your source code to the server every time you had a
    change. So instead, from inside a FP-compliant app - you can change the
    source files on your server in real-time. With FPSE, you can connect to any
    of the "virtual directories" in IIS - and it typically automatically sets
    permissions and creates a companion "frontpage web". They are almost one in
    the same, except the frontpage web part is basically just permissioning of
    who can edit the source files via FPSE...

    SO.... back to the original question/problem.. if you just created a
    directory and didn't isolate it into it's own IIS application, that messes
    up the internal paths and how the app expects to run. So the problem should
    be just as easy as turning your \Purchasing\ directory (for example) into
    it's own app - in IIS...

    And on recompiling, when I moved apps between servers - there have been
    several times when they didn't work - so I would recompile them via VS.NET
    on the NEW server and that seemed to fix it. I wonder if there isn't some
    metadata that is stored, that makes it not work if the physical underlying
    paths change?

    hth

    "gb" <com> wrote in message
    frontpage
    as [/ref]
    but [/ref]
    to [/ref][/ref]
    COM [/ref]
    > works
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    I must just be lucky because I haven't had any problems
    deploying an ASP.NET application (yet). I'm not sure how
    you deploy(ed) your applications (or even if the way I do
    it is the correct way) but in VS.NET I add a new "Web
    Setup Project" to my solution and create an installer file
    for my application and just install it on the server.

    This automagically does all of the work that you were
    explaining how to manually do in IIS.

    Cheers,
    Jeremy

    displaylang=en&familyid=5cc0a845-1884-4a16-a8cb-
    25d2f0815fa3
    minute...
    \inetpub\wwwroot) and have
    \Budget\ - but these would
    same memory space,
    workspace. When it comes to
    directory - like
    web/application.
    You can do this a
    for "Purchasing", then
    Directory tab, next to
    right-click on
    to "Application
    VisualStudio.NET (for
    automagically for
    compliant tools
    server using port
    Without it, you'd
    every time you had a
    can change the
    can connect to any
    automatically sets
    are almost one in
    permissioning of
    just created a
    application, that messes
    the problem should
    (for example) into
    there have been
    recompile them via VS.NET
    there isn't some
    physical underlying [/ref]
    questions: [/ref]
    the web server or [/ref]
    to create a [/ref]
    clue. [/ref]
    under wwwroot just [/ref]
    frontpage web however [/ref]
    message [/ref]
    $news.prodigy.com... [/ref][/ref]
    app - it should be [/ref][/ref]
    FPSE then create a [/ref][/ref]
    to try to run - [/ref][/ref]
    confused. You need [/ref][/ref]
    meaning that I have no [/ref][/ref]
    on my dev box and [/ref][/ref]
    IIS web server. [/ref][/ref]
    Server Error in '/' [/ref][/ref]
    <authentication mode

    >>[/ref]
    >

    >.
    >[/ref]
    Jerremy Guest

  5. #5

    I wish I'd had this feature before I started building my site...but at
    that time I had the C#.Net Standard edition and web matrix.

    Now with the VS.NETpro IDE I'm just getting familiar with all the bells
    and whistles...

    *toot* *toot*

    Best,
    Jerry
    In article <052701c369b9$63bd4340$gbl>, Jknight12
    nohotmailspam.com says...

    --
    http://www.toasty0.com
    Jerry Guest

  6. #6

    Yes, when you get setup with a webhost - you are given a "root", and you can
    setup as many subwebs as you'd like. I've seen the option, but haven't
    tested it - in FPSE 2002, it looks like you can create multiple subwebs
    under multiple subwebs too..

    glad to help

    "Dean" <net> wrote in message
    explain