Professional Web Applications Themes

Deployment - ASP.NET

What's the best way in ASP .Net to deploy an app from a development machine to a production machine? Also, do all files (.vbproj, etc) need to be copied, or just the .aspx and related files? Todd...

  1. #1

    Default Deployment

    What's the best way in ASP .Net to deploy an app from a
    development machine to a production machine? Also, do all
    files (.vbproj, etc) need to be copied, or just the .aspx
    and related files?

    Todd

    T.B. Guest

  2. #2

    hi

    you just publish all the aspx file and .dll file under
    bin directory. all you code which you written in aspx.vb
    will be complied into projectname.dll under bin folder.
    no need to publish aspx.vb files.

    regards

    G.Venkat

    venkat Guest

  3. #3

    Is there a way other than FTPing the files over and using
    Terminal Services to get these files out there?

    Todd

    T.B. Guest

  4. #4

    i have completed the development and now its time to
    deploy to a hosting service. Can anyone give me tips and
    referrals to some how to info on deployment of asp.net
    apps. thanks doyle
    Doyle Johnson Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: deployment

    One of the key features that MS pushed was it's easy deployment. Simply
    uploading/copying your application to the server should be enough.

    --
    Philip Q
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    "Doyle Johnson" <doylejohnsoncomcast.net> wrote in message
    > i have completed the development and now its time to
    > deploy to a hosting service. Can anyone give me tips and
    > referrals to some how to info on deployment of asp.net
    > apps. thanks doyle
    Philip Q [MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    "Philip Q [MVP]" <wisemonkmvps.org> wrote:
    > One of the key features that MS pushed was it's easy deployment. Simply
    > uploading/copying your application to the server should be enough.
    Except when it isn't enough?

    VS.NET help on deployment indicates that, while using a deployment project
    requires administrative access to IIS, " we recommend deploying your project
    [as opposed to just copying it] in most cases, because it allows you to take
    advantage of extensive deployment project management features, such as
    registration and IIS configuration."

    What problems might simply uploading/copying run into? I.e., what web
    application features require "registration and IIS configuration"?

    --
    For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
    [email]stevesurname.reno.nv.us[/email] (Steve Brecher)

    Steve Brecher Guest

  7. #7

    Generally nothing .NET requires registration or IIS configuration.
    (Of course your web folder needs to be configured as an IIS application, but
    that is standard for any web site.)

    You'll only run into problems if you need to use old COM components, or if
    you need to access the registry or other sensitive shared areas of the
    hosted server.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "Doyle Johnson" <doylejohnsoncomcast.net> wrote in message
    > i have completed the development and now its time to
    > deploy to a hosting service. Can anyone give me tips and
    > referrals to some how to info on deployment of asp.net
    > apps. thanks doyle

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD Guest

  8. #8

    Hey group!
    I need to know how to deploy my Web Application to my Production Server
    without killing all active sessions.
    I heard that through the Visual Studio I can deploy the files and Dll's with
    a "Shadow Copy", so then the new users will use the new dll, while the old
    users will use the previous dll, and periodically this one will disappear.

    My Application will be used by many users at a time, 9 to 5, and If I have
    to change something by simply Copying and Pasting in the server all users
    will go back to Login Page or receive error messages, since I'm using
    Session("...") to keep some data active.

    Any ideas?
    thanx in advance!
    Ignacio.

    Ignacio Martinez Guest

  9. #9

    I am preparing to deploy AD for the first time in a part
    of our organization, but the constant flux within our
    organizational hierarchy presents some problems (i.e. we
    have organizational units and even domains who will move
    back and forth between different forests in the company.
    Anyhow, my preparations have engendered a few questions.
    I have already ordered the Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Deployment Kit, but it won't come before I have to make a
    few decisions. Therefore, if any of you have any
    information on these topics and the time to expound, I
    would love to hear your opinion.
    - Does NAT conflict with AD at all? with IPSec?
    - How difficult is it to change servers hosting forest
    and domain level FSMOs?
    - Can centralized domain services function at OUs that
    have been cut off from the domain?
    - Can members of the OU administrator group change
    objects within other OUs?

    Thanks.

    Josh Guest

  10. #10

    Hi,

    I want to deploy my Web service to [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url]
    Where can I set DNS in Web setup project ?
    I.e. I want my setup project will configure host header value to
    [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url] for target IIS.
    (IIS / My Web site properties / Web site / Advanced / Host header value).

    Thanks.
    M.D.M. Guest

  11. #11

    MDM,

    DNS is up to DNS, not VS.NET. You will be able to address your Web
    service as such if your server's IP is registered to "www.mydomain.com"
    with DNS. The deployment project will handle virtual directories and
    below only.

    You can deploy to the root of a Web site by blanking the virtual directory
    textbox on setup.

    HTH,
    Vern

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:27:02 -0500, M.D.M. <madarcommunity.nospam> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to deploy my Web service to
    > [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url]
    > Where can I set DNS in Web setup project ?
    > I.e. I want my setup project will configure host header value to
    > [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url] for target IIS.
    > (IIS / My Web site properties / Web site / Advanced / Host header value).
    >
    > Thanks.
    Vern DeHaven Guest

  12. #12

    Suppose, I have on my Web server many Web sites with many domain names e.g.:
    [url]www.mydomain1.com[/url] for Web site # 1
    [url]www.mydomainname2.com[/url] for Web site #c 2
    [url]www.mydomainname50.com[/url] for Web site # 50

    but if I make Web setup project for Web service in VS.NET and then I will
    run it in my target server, Web service will be installed to default Web site
    in IIS. This means I can access it via [url]http://loacalhost/[/url] from Web server and
    this I do not want. I want to deploy its to one specific DNS name (e.g. to
    [url]www.mydomainname51.com[/url]) not to loacalhost.

    P.S.: Host header must be [url]www.mydomain51.com[/url] only. In my first post I
    miscopied it. (I wrote [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url] what is bad).

    "Vern DeHaven" wrote:
    > MDM,
    >
    > DNS is up to DNS, not VS.NET. You will be able to address your Web
    > service as such if your server's IP is registered to "www.mydomain.com"
    > with DNS. The deployment project will handle virtual directories and
    > below only.
    >
    > You can deploy to the root of a Web site by blanking the virtual directory
    > textbox on setup.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Vern
    >
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:27:02 -0500, M.D.M. <madarcommunity.nospam> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I want to deploy my Web service to
    > > [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url]
    > > Where can I set DNS in Web setup project ?
    > > I.e. I want my setup project will configure host header value to
    > > [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url] for target IIS.
    > > (IIS / My Web site properties / Web site / Advanced / Host header value).
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    M.D.M. Guest

  13. #13

    Hello,

    I think each of your web site has different port on your server. When we
    install a web setup created in VS.NET, we can specify the port we want to
    install, so that the web service can be installed on different web site.

    Luke

    [MSFT] Guest

  14. #14

    Yes, you are true but all my Web sites have same port viz. 80 on single
    machine. And all Web sites can have same port thanks to they have different
    host header i.e. domain name. But VS.NET by default installs to host header
    localhost and I want to install to [url]www.mydomainname51.com[/url].

    I could use for every Web site different port but it is strong inconvenient
    for end users.

    E.g. Suppose Microsoft has one Web site [url]www.microsoft.com[/url] and other
    msdn.microsoft.com - 2 DNS addresses. Both run at port 80 but you must set
    host header in IIS to their DNS or otherwise you will unable to create two
    Web site on single port on single machine. And if Microsoft do Web setup
    project for [url]www.microsoft.com[/url] and msdn.microsoft.com they must specify host
    header i.e. DNS in their Web setup project. They can not install one to
    [url]http://localhost/msdn[/url] and other to [url]http://loacalhost/www[/url] because we should
    need to access them only via single DNS address and not via 2 i.e.
    [url]www.microsoft.com[/url] and msdn.microsoft.com.

    Hope now it is clear what I want to do.

    "[MSFT]" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I think each of your web site has different port on your server. When we
    > install a web setup created in VS.NET, we can specify the port we want to
    > install, so that the web service can be installed on different web site.
    >
    > Luke

    M.D.M. Guest

  15. #15

    Thank you for the clarify. I think VS.NET setup may help on the problem. It
    cannot specify the Host Header yet. I think you need to specify the
    directory for each of web site and VS.NET setup file can help you to
    install program files to these specified folder.

    Luke

    [MSFT] Guest

  16. #16

    Hi,

    In book Deploying .NET Applications Lifecycle Guide published in Microsoft
    Press is written :

    Web setup projects allow you to specify which port to install the
    application on, they do not currently support deployment of a Web application
    to a site differentiated by host headers. Therefore, you need to consider
    alternatives to using Web setup projects to package your Web applications if
    you need to deploy in this scenario."

    "M.D.M." wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to deploy my Web service to [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url]
    > Where can I set DNS in Web setup project ?
    > I.e. I want my setup project will configure host header value to
    > [url]http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx[/url] for target IIS.
    > (IIS / My Web site properties / Web site / Advanced / Host header value).
    >
    > Thanks.
    B.J. Guest

  17. #17

    Hi,

    I need to build a video application that will be as simple as possible for my
    client to add extra content to. I have started on the ?Creating a Dynamic
    Playlist for Streaming Flash Video? on the Adobe site, but it says I need to
    install Flash Media Server 2. I?m quite up to date with Flash but have not
    worked with video before, so my question is, when it comes to deployment of my
    site does my web host need Media Server 2 installed on their server for the
    application to work or will the functionality be combined in the swf file?

    Cheer,

    Mike.

    mclarke007 Guest