Professional Web Applications Themes

Deployment considerations for web services - ASP.NET Web Services

Hi I'm currently getting my head around the architectural aspects of .NET, but am wondering how to go about writing my application to make deployment into the live environment from my development environment so as to make it as painless as possible. All this dragging SQL Adapters onto my web service design surface and tying it to a data grid is all well and good, but the live environment won't use the same database connections, for example. Can anyone point me to doentation that deals with these deployment issues and how to write code in such a way that configuring ...

  1. #1

    Default Deployment considerations for web services

    Hi

    I'm currently getting my head around the architectural aspects of .NET, but
    am wondering how to go about writing my application to make deployment into
    the live environment from my development environment so as to make it as
    painless as possible.

    All this dragging SQL Adapters onto my web service design surface and tying
    it to a data grid is all well and good, but the live environment won't use
    the same database connections, for example. Can anyone point me to
    doentation that deals with these deployment issues and how to write code
    in such a way that configuring for the two environments is done
    automatically and not something I have to worry about too much?

    Cheers, Mark

    Mark Norgate Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Deployment considerations for web services

    Thanks for your reply.

    Can you link me to doentation on customising the web.config file with
    non-standard elements?

    "Marina" <nospam> wrote in message
    > I highly recommend for you to not use the design time wizards for
    anything.

    > Write the code for the connections and queries yourself. This will mean
    you
    > can put the connection info in web.config and pull it from there - or
    > whatever else you wan to do. The wizards are more useful for when you are
    > learning, but are typically not something you want to use in real
    scenarios.

    > "Mark Norgate" <mark.norgatenospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm currently getting my head around the architectural aspects of .NET,
    > but
    > > am wondering how to go about writing my application to make deployment
    > into
    > > the live environment from my development environment so as to make it as
    > > painless as possible.
    > >
    > > All this dragging SQL Adapters onto my web service design surface and
    > tying
    > > it to a data grid is all well and good, but the live environment won't
    use
    > > the same database connections, for example. Can anyone point me to
    > > doentation that deals with these deployment issues and how to write
    > code
    > > in such a way that configuring for the two environments is done
    > > automatically and not something I have to worry about too much?
    > >
    > > Cheers, Mark

    Mark Norgate Guest